Re: [pcgen] Re: Kingmaker Campaign Traits

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
      Hmm.. That is not what my understanding is.

      If you are going to use Campaign Traits, you get 1 of them and 1 regular
      trait. I would rather have them as separate lines. There is an
      abilitypool for them, but it is not being added to. This is my .pcc file
      that I will be using for when I run Kingmaker for my group:

      ===============
      # David R. Bender
      CAMPAIGN:Campaign - Kingmaker
      GAMEMODE:Pathfinder
      RANK:6
      TYPE:*Only load from here - Campaign files
      #
      # Pathfinder Final Ruleset
      PCC:@\alpha\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\core_rulebook\core_rulebook.pcc
      # Pathfinder APG
      PCC:@\alpha\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\advanced_players_guide\advanded_players_guide.pcc
      #
      # PCGen item renamer (+x to front of weapon/armor)
      PCC:@\d20ogl\pcgen\renamer\pcgen_ogc_renamer.pcc
      #
      # My stuff for Pathfinder
      PCC:@\DRB-Data\Pathfinder\DRB-Pathfinder.pcc
      #
      # Paizo Kingmaker Player's Guide
      PCC:@\alpha\paizo\pathfinder_adventure_paths\kingmaker\kingmaker_players_guide\kingmaker_players_guide.pcc
      #
      #BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Favored Class|1|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=1
      BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Campaign Traits|1|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=1
      BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Traits|-1|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=1
      ==========

      Notice that I had to add 1 to Campaign Traits and subtract 1 from Traits
      to get the numbers to work out.

      I also have the same file for Serpent's Skull except pointing to the
      appropriate players guide and it works for that also.

      David
      Papa.DRB

      Grognard (definition 1) <http://mysite.verizon.net/vze16ni4g/Grognard.html>
      My better half and me

      On 11/2/2010 10:16 AM, gjorbjond wrote:
      > It's my understanding that the campaign traits and noble born traits are just traits and should pull from the same ability pool as the basic traits. You only get 2 traits in a typical game, regardless of type.
      >

      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher<radermacher@...> wrote:
      >> On Tuesday 02 November 2010 14:45:06 Andrew Wardell wrote:
      >>> I couldn't get it to upload to pastebin, but the screenshot can be found at
      >>> http://kingmaker.frozenstar.net/PCGen5164RC2_Traits.png
      >> I see now what you. It seems something has changed since I originally
      >> implemented that. You can currently access the Campaign traits if you switch
      >> to that view using the dropdown box in the lower right, but that is not what I
      >> had in mind. I have to check out what has changed.
      >>
      >> Regards,
      >> Stefan.

      > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
        On Tuesday 02 November 2010 15:21:17 Stefan Radermacher wrote:
        > You are correct basically. However, the rules indicate that if you play in
        > a campaing with campaign traits, like an adventue path, that one of those
        > traits MUST chosen from the campaign traits. In order to enforce that rule
        > I created a separate ability category Campaign Traits in the adventure
        > path player's guide datasets and shifted one trait slot from the general
        > traits pool to this new pool.

        It seems I'm talking to myself a lot here today. :)

        Anyway, maybe the best solution is indeed to throw away the Campaign Traits
        category, that way the duplicate override would no longer be necessary.

        In fact, if a higher level character joins an adventure path later on, it
        won't make much sense enforcing a Campaign trait. For example, considering the
        campaign traits from Serpent's Skull, we see that they select a reason for a
        new character to be on the ship at the start of the campaign. Later on, that
        makes no sense for a new character who most probably has never even been on
        the ship, so forcing him to take one campaign trait in this case really makes
        no sense.

        If I get no opposition on this here, I will adapt all relevant sets to remove
        this category and sort the campaign traits into the general traits category.

        Stefan.

      • Stefan Radermacher
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
          On Tuesday 02 November 2010 15:27:21 David R. Bender wrote:
          > Hmm.. That is not what my understanding is.
          >
          > If you are going to use Campaign Traits, you get 1 of them and 1 regular
          > trait. I would rather have them as separate lines. There is an
          > abilitypool for them, but it is not being added to. This is my .pcc file
          > that I will be using for when I run Kingmaker for my group:

          > Notice that I had to add 1 to Campaign Traits and subtract 1 from Traits
          > to get the numbers to work out.
          >
          > I also have the same file for Serpent's Skull except pointing to the
          > appropriate players guide and it works for that also.

          David, that is how it originally woirked when I first implemeted that. As soon
          as one of the Aadventure path player's guide datasets was loaded, the slots
          were changed from "two general traits" to "one general trait and one campaign
          trait". However the traits categories have been moved about, even into the
          core dataset, where they to not belong at all. These changes - and the fact
          that the duplicate workout does not really work with the APG set - have messed
          up the mechanism.

          However, check out the mail I just wrote before this; I think it does in fact
          make sense to remove that enforcing.

          Stefan.

        • David R. Bender
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
            Yes, I just read that post. Not sure that I agree with removing the
            enforcement, but I am not so opposed that I would say no.

            On 11/2/2010 10:34 AM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
            > On Tuesday 02 November 2010 15:27:21 David R. Bender wrote:
            >> Hmm.. That is not what my understanding is.
            >>
            >> If you are going to use Campaign Traits, you get 1 of them and 1 regular
            >> trait. I would rather have them as separate lines. There is an
            >> abilitypool for them, but it is not being added to. This is my .pcc file
            >> that I will be using for when I run Kingmaker for my group:
            >> Notice that I had to add 1 to Campaign Traits and subtract 1 from Traits
            >> to get the numbers to work out.
            >>
            >> I also have the same file for Serpent's Skull except pointing to the
            >> appropriate players guide and it works for that also.
            > David, that is how it originally woirked when I first implemeted that. As soon
            > as one of the Aadventure path player's guide datasets was loaded, the slots
            > were changed from "two general traits" to "one general trait and one campaign
            > trait". However the traits categories have been moved about, even into the
            > core dataset, where they to not belong at all. These changes - and the fact
            > that the duplicate workout does not really work with the APG set - have messed
            > up the mechanism.
            >
            > However, check out the mail I just wrote before this; I think it does in fact
            > make sense to remove that enforcing.
            >
            > Stefan.
          • Stefan Radermacher
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
              On Tuesday 02 November 2010 15:40:54 David R. Bender wrote:
              > Yes, I just read that post. Not sure that I agree with removing the
              > enforcement, but I am not so opposed that I would say no.

              Would you want to force a new character joining your Serpen't Skull party in,
              say, Chapter 3 to take a campaign trait from the Serpent's Skull Player's
              Guide, when he most probably never was on that ship?

              Stefan.

            • David R. Bender
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
                That is why I am not saying no.

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010

                  I'm in agreement with Stefan, it's not up to us to enforce certain rules if there isn't an easy
                  bypass. One General Pool, and leave it up to the GM and players to police themselves.

                  AS to the pools merging into the Core, I think that was a Logistics issue of depending on which
                  source combo you'd get issues.

                  I don't care if the ABILITYCATEGORY is made in the core, the relevant Traits *ARE* being loaded with
                  the correct sources, and that's ALL that matters to me.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
                    Ok, I'm changing the sets to remove the separate ability category for campaign
                    traits. I think I will also abandon the concept of preselecting "No Traits",
                    as this is clearly non-intuitive for users. The way it is implemented, Traits
                    are only awarded to player character races, so monsters are not affected, only
                    NPCs, and a GM user can then select the No Traits ability manually. I think
                    this is the better solution and users will no longer wonder what to do.

                    I'd also like to change the keys of the traits to conform to the usual
                    standards for keys, i.e. "Foo ~ Trait" instead of "Foo_Trait".

                    Ah. and another thing. I'm not too happy of including the sample campaign
                    traits from the APG in the APG dataset. Including them will result in them
                    showing up, for example, as campaign traits in a Kingmaker Adventure Path
                    setup, even if they are not available or meaningful for that campaign.
                    Basically they are just included in the book for GMs as an inspiration on how
                    to create their own campaign traits, not as real gaming material, because they
                    won't be applicable to 99% of all campaigns. I'd leave them out, but another
                    idea of how to handle them if everybody wants them included, would be nice.
                    Though their use will really be minimal.

                    Regards,
                    Stefan.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010

                      On 11/2/2010 3:58 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                      > Ok, I'm changing the sets to remove the separate ability category for campaign
                      > traits. I think I will also abandon the concept of preselecting "No Traits",
                      > as this is clearly non-intuitive for users. The way it is implemented, Traits
                      > are only awarded to player character races, so monsters are not affected, only
                      > NPCs, and a GM user can then select the No Traits ability manually. I think
                      > this is the better solution and users will no longer wonder what to do.

                      Sounds like a good plan.

                      > I'd also like to change the keys of the traits to conform to the usual
                      > standards for keys, i.e. "Foo ~ Trait" instead of "Foo_Trait".

                      I was wondering why there was a difference, but I just tried to match the standards.

                      > Ah. and another thing. I'm not too happy of including the sample campaign
                      > traits from the APG in the APG dataset. Including them will result in them
                      > showing up, for example, as campaign traits in a Kingmaker Adventure Path
                      > setup, even if they are not available or meaningful for that campaign.
                      > Basically they are just included in the book for GMs as an inspiration on how
                      > to create their own campaign traits, not as real gaming material, because they
                      > won't be applicable to 99% of all campaigns. I'd leave them out, but another
                      > idea of how to handle them if everybody wants them included, would be nice.
                      > Though their use will really be minimal.

                      Leaving them in should be fine. Once we move to trunk, we can simply use SORTKEY to put the sample
                      at the bottom of the list. And yes, homebrews can model theirs after the existing ones. Nothing
                      wrong with that. I was going through and entering ALL the missing items.

                      Cheers,

                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
                        On Wednesday 03 November 2010 00:26:35 Andrew Maitland wrote:
                        > Leaving them in should be fine. Once we move to trunk, we can simply use
                        > SORTKEY to put the sample at the bottom of the list. And yes, homebrews
                        > can model theirs after the existing ones. Nothing wrong with that. I was
                        > going through and entering ALL the missing items.

                        Maybe we can use TYPE:SampleCampaignTraits with those instead of
                        TYPE:CampaignTraits.

                        Stefan.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010

                          I'm fine with that.

                          On 11/2/2010 4:35 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                          > On Wednesday 03 November 2010 00:26:35 Andrew Maitland wrote:
                          >> Leaving them in should be fine. Once we move to trunk, we can simply use
                          >> SORTKEY to put the sample at the bottom of the list. And yes, homebrews
                          >> can model theirs after the existing ones. Nothing wrong with that. I was
                          >> going through and entering ALL the missing items.
                          > Maybe we can use TYPE:SampleCampaignTraits with those instead of
                          > TYPE:CampaignTraits.
                          >
                          > Stefan.

                          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                        • Derrik H. Gilmore
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
                            Heya:

                            Quick FYI. When starting a new campaign/Adventure Path, Campaign Traits are
                            NOT a requirement. Like any other trait they are an optional component and
                            basically give you one more category of traits to choose from. They primary
                            intention is to tie you closer to the beginning of the campaign and give you
                            a reason for your character to get involved in the campaign. Now, you can
                            certainly make it a requirement for your campaign, but there is no other
                            requirement.

                            "Campaign traits are tailored to a specific Adventure Path, and give your
                            character a built-in reason to begin the first adventure in a new campaign.
                            Some campaign traits also grant teamwork benefits if you choose to begin a
                            campaign with your character having a pre-existing relationship with another
                            PC." And if you continue reading the section on campaign traits in any of
                            the Adventure Paths out there, you'll see nowhere that it is required a
                            character take a campaign trait - though certainly advisable.

                            Also once a new character joins the campaign at a later date, s/he can
                            certainly take an existing campaign trait if so desired, though the player
                            and GM should probably work on adjusting the wording somewhat =)

                            ----

                            Derrik "Gil" Gilmore

                            "I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of
                            the raid's $359.76 says: know your role."

                            On Tuesday 02 November 2010 15:16:37 you wrote:
                            > It's my understanding that the campaign traits and noble born traits are
                            > just traits and should pull from the same ability pool as the basic
                            > traits. You only get 2 traits in a typical game, regardless of type.

                            You are correct basically. However, the rules indicate that if you play in a

                            campaing with campaign traits, like an adventue path, that one of those
                            traits
                            MUST chosen from the campaign traits. In order to enforce that rule I
                            created
                            a separate ability category Campaign Traits in the adventure path player's
                            guide datasets and shifted one trait slot from the general traits pool to
                            this
                            new pool.

                            Stefan.

                            _____

                            No virus found in this message.

                            13:34:00

                          • Stefan Radermacher
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
                              On Wednesday 03 November 2010 02:27:06 Derrik H. Gilmore wrote:
                              > Quick FYI. When starting a new campaign/Adventure Path, Campaign Traits are
                              > NOT a requirement. Like any other trait they are an optional component and
                              > basically give you one more category of traits to choose from. They primary
                              > intention is to tie you closer to the beginning of the campaign and give
                              > you a reason for your character to get involved in the campaign. Now, you
                              > can certainly make it a requirement for your campaign, but there is no
                              > other requirement.
                              > "Campaign traits are tailored to a specific Adventure Path, and give your
                              > character a built-in reason to begin the first adventure in a new campaign.
                              > Some campaign traits also grant teamwork benefits if you choose to begin a
                              > campaign with your character having a pre-existing relationship with
                              > another PC." And if you continue reading the section on campaign traits in
                              > any of the Adventure Paths out there, you'll see nowhere that it is
                              > required a character take a campaign trait - though certainly advisable.

                              Your quote is correct, however there is more. Check out APG page 330, in the
                              section named "Campaign Traits" it says:

                              "If your GM uses campaign traits, one of your starting traits must be a
                              campaign trait. Your other trait can be chosen from one of the other types of
                              traits." You will find the words to the same effect in the original Character
                              Traits web enhancement for the Pathfinder RPG on page 3, upper left.

                              > Also once a new character joins the campaign at a later date, s/he can
                              > certainly take an existing campaign trait if so desired, though the player
                              > and GM should probably work on adjusting the wording somewhat =)

                              Depending on the campaign that might noit really makes sense, for example, as
                              mentioned earlier with the campaign traits from then Serpent's Skull Player's
                              Guide. Those are meaningless for a character that doesn't start out at the
                              beginning at the campaign.

                              Regards,
                              Stefan.
                            • Derrik H. Gilmore
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 3, 2010
                                Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa - though I just got the APG on Monday
                                and haven't gotten that far in the book yet, I'm still giddy about the
                                class/race options =)

                                As for taking the campaign traits for later characters, you can always
                                adjust the back-story for the trait so that it makes more sense while
                                leaving the bonus intact - nur meine zwei pfennige =)

                                ----