Re: [pcgen] Skill Point Purchase Glitch for v5.16.3

  • Andrew Wilson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2010
      On 27 October 2010 23:14, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Skills are implemented in the new UI already - grab the demo from
      > http://wiki.pcgen.org/UI_Overhaul#Demo and please provide feedback.
      >
      > If you think things need to change, what are the requirements for a
      > new skills allocation method? Once we have a good set of requirements
      > we can look at how the new UI can implement them.

      That's very much faster than the current PCGen, is that because there's
      lots of it not there? or is it likely to keep that performance
      improvement?

      I think it could do with several improvements

      There is no breakdown of what the skills modifier consists of, I assume
      it will contain stats and synergy bonuses, bonuses from Race, Class,
      Equipment, etc. when I highlight the skill, I should get this breakdown
      in the skill info box.

      There is no way to see which skills I spent the skill points from any
      given level on. A tree might work nicely here, with the level at the
      top, if you drop that open you'd get a list of skills added at that
      level, with how many ranks are currently in them and +/- buttons to
      alter. This would replace/enhance the box currently there that has the
      spent and gained boxes.

      You should be able to add and remove entries from levels other than the
      current highest level and the system should still track spent and
      gained. It would be nice to be able to see a breakdown of where gained
      came from, including a highlight of some kind if it breaks the rules (if
      you just changed the number granted for instance).
      A check box to make INT adjustments retroactive or not, default to be
      set by game mode but modifiable on a per PC basis.

      *Suggested Requirements*

      The system shall provide a breakdown on a per skill basis of the origin
      of each skill rank added to a PC.

      The system shall provide a breakdown of the origin of all modifications
      to a given skill (Skill Synergy, Racial Bonus, etc.) currently being
      applied to a PC

      The system shall provide a means to easily see and modify how each
      level's skill ranks were spent.

      The system shall provide the means to edit the allocation of each
      level's skill ranks independently.

      The system shall ensure that the gamemode's rules for skill
      acquisition and allocation are followed.

      The system shall make it possible to override the gamemode's rules for
      skill acquisition and allocation.

      The system shall highlight any failure to follow the gamemode's rules
      for skill acquisition and allocation.

      The system shall provide a means to make adjustments to INT either
      have no effect or retroactively adjust the available skill points per level.

      The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
      adjustments settable on a per PC basis.

      The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
      adjustments default to the gamemode value.

      andrew

    • Luke Green
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2010
        just noticed this, will register a bug later this evening...

        sorry for taking so long

        On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > level's skill ranks were spent.
        >
        > The system shall provide the means to edit the allocation of each
        > level's skill ranks independently.
        >
        > The system shall ensure that the gamemode's rules for skill
        > acquisition and allocation are followed.
        >
        > The system shall make it possible to override the gamemode's rules for
        > skill acquisition and allocation.
        >
        > The system shall highlight any failure to follow the gamemode's rules
        > for skill acquisition and allocation.
        >
        > The system shall provide a means to make adjustments to INT either
        > have no effect or retroactively adjust the available skill points per
        > level.
        >
        > The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
        > adjustments settable on a per PC basis.
        >
        > The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
        > adjustments default to the gamemode value.

      • Andrew Wilson
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 28, 2010
          On 28 October 2010 03:00, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:

          > *Suggested Requirements*
          > The system shall provide a breakdown on a per skill basis of the origin
          > of each skill rank added to a PC.
          >
          > The system shall provide a breakdown of the origin of all modifications
          > to a given skill (Skill Synergy, Racial Bonus, etc.) currently being
          > applied to a PC
          >
          > The system shall provide a means to easily see and modify how each
          > level's skill ranks were spent.
          >
          > The system shall provide the means to edit the allocation of each
          > level's skill ranks independently.
          >
          > The system shall ensure that the gamemode's rules for skill
          > acquisition and allocation are followed.
          >
          > The system shall make it possible to override the gamemode's rules for
          > skill acquisition and allocation.
          >
          > The system shall highlight any failure to follow the gamemode's rules
          > for skill acquisition and allocation.
          >
          > The system shall provide a means to make adjustments to INT either
          > have no effect or retroactively adjust the available skill points per
          > level.
          >
          > The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
          > adjustments settable on a per PC basis.
          >
          > The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
          > adjustments default to the gamemode value.

          I see a lot of this is done already, it mostly needs better display of
          what's going on.

          It doesn't tell me where ranks came from and it lets me adjust ranks that
          weren't
          given by the level I'm adjusting.

          andrew