Skill Point Purchase Glitch for v5.16.3

  • Luke Green
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2010
      Here's what I did:

      Purchased Skills including Sense Motive as a cross class skill to level 3
      for 6 points
      Set Occupation to Heir
      Chose Sense Motive as an Occupation skill
      Sense Motive is now a class skill and considered cheaper
      The program gives me back 3 pts
      The 3 pts are not assigned to a particular level and are thus inaccessible
      as the program will tell me I have no points in any level

    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2010
        Hi Luke,

        Can you please raise a bug at http://jira.pcgen.org

        Thanks!

        On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Luke Green <thrythlind@...> wrote:

        > Here's what I did:
        >
        > Purchased Skills including Sense Motive as a cross class skill to level 3
        > for 6 points
        > Set Occupation to Heir
        > Chose Sense Motive as an Occupation skill
        > Sense Motive is now a class skill and considered cheaper
        > The program gives me back 3 pts
        > The 3 pts are not assigned to a particular level and are thus inaccessible
        > as the program will tell me I have no points in any level

      • Andrew Wilson
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2010
          We absolutely, desperately need a better way to assign skill points to
          class levels. I'm really hoping that this is something that the new UI—
          or possibly the new UI and CDOM—will address.

          andrew

          On 27 October 2010 15:55, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
          > Hi Luke,
          >
          > Can you please raise a bug at http://jira.pcgen.org
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Luke Green <thrythlind@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Here's what I did:
          >>
          >> Purchased Skills including Sense Motive as a cross class skill to level 3
          >> for 6 points
          >> Set Occupation to Heir
          >> Chose Sense Motive as an Occupation skill
          >> Sense Motive is now a class skill and considered cheaper
          >> The program gives me back 3 pts
          >> The 3 pts are not assigned to a particular level and are thus inaccessible
          >> as the program will tell me I have no points in any level

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2010
            Hi,

            Skills are implemented in the new UI already - grab the demo from
            http://wiki.pcgen.org/UI_Overhaul#Demo and please provide feedback.

            If you think things need to change, what are the requirements for a new
            skills allocation method? Once we have a good set of requirements we can
            look at how the new UI can implement them.

            Cheers,
            James.

            On 28/10/2010 8:52 AM Andrew Wilson wrote

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 27, 2010
              On 27 October 2010 23:14, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > Skills are implemented in the new UI already - grab the demo from
              > http://wiki.pcgen.org/UI_Overhaul#Demo and please provide feedback.
              >
              > If you think things need to change, what are the requirements for a
              > new skills allocation method? Once we have a good set of requirements
              > we can look at how the new UI can implement them.

              That's very much faster than the current PCGen, is that because there's
              lots of it not there? or is it likely to keep that performance
              improvement?

              I think it could do with several improvements

              There is no breakdown of what the skills modifier consists of, I assume
              it will contain stats and synergy bonuses, bonuses from Race, Class,
              Equipment, etc. when I highlight the skill, I should get this breakdown
              in the skill info box.

              There is no way to see which skills I spent the skill points from any
              given level on. A tree might work nicely here, with the level at the
              top, if you drop that open you'd get a list of skills added at that
              level, with how many ranks are currently in them and +/- buttons to
              alter. This would replace/enhance the box currently there that has the
              spent and gained boxes.

              You should be able to add and remove entries from levels other than the
              current highest level and the system should still track spent and
              gained. It would be nice to be able to see a breakdown of where gained
              came from, including a highlight of some kind if it breaks the rules (if
              you just changed the number granted for instance).
              A check box to make INT adjustments retroactive or not, default to be
              set by game mode but modifiable on a per PC basis.

              *Suggested Requirements*

              The system shall provide a breakdown on a per skill basis of the origin
              of each skill rank added to a PC.

              The system shall provide a breakdown of the origin of all modifications
              to a given skill (Skill Synergy, Racial Bonus, etc.) currently being
              applied to a PC

              The system shall provide a means to easily see and modify how each
              level's skill ranks were spent.

              The system shall provide the means to edit the allocation of each
              level's skill ranks independently.

              The system shall ensure that the gamemode's rules for skill
              acquisition and allocation are followed.

              The system shall make it possible to override the gamemode's rules for
              skill acquisition and allocation.

              The system shall highlight any failure to follow the gamemode's rules
              for skill acquisition and allocation.

              The system shall provide a means to make adjustments to INT either
              have no effect or retroactively adjust the available skill points per level.

              The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
              adjustments settable on a per PC basis.

              The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
              adjustments default to the gamemode value.

              andrew

            • Luke Green
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 27, 2010
                just noticed this, will register a bug later this evening...

                sorry for taking so long

                On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > level's skill ranks were spent.
                >
                > The system shall provide the means to edit the allocation of each
                > level's skill ranks independently.
                >
                > The system shall ensure that the gamemode's rules for skill
                > acquisition and allocation are followed.
                >
                > The system shall make it possible to override the gamemode's rules for
                > skill acquisition and allocation.
                >
                > The system shall highlight any failure to follow the gamemode's rules
                > for skill acquisition and allocation.
                >
                > The system shall provide a means to make adjustments to INT either
                > have no effect or retroactively adjust the available skill points per
                > level.
                >
                > The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
                > adjustments settable on a per PC basis.
                >
                > The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
                > adjustments default to the gamemode value.

              • Andrew Wilson
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 28, 2010
                  On 28 October 2010 03:00, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:

                  > *Suggested Requirements*
                  > The system shall provide a breakdown on a per skill basis of the origin
                  > of each skill rank added to a PC.
                  >
                  > The system shall provide a breakdown of the origin of all modifications
                  > to a given skill (Skill Synergy, Racial Bonus, etc.) currently being
                  > applied to a PC
                  >
                  > The system shall provide a means to easily see and modify how each
                  > level's skill ranks were spent.
                  >
                  > The system shall provide the means to edit the allocation of each
                  > level's skill ranks independently.
                  >
                  > The system shall ensure that the gamemode's rules for skill
                  > acquisition and allocation are followed.
                  >
                  > The system shall make it possible to override the gamemode's rules for
                  > skill acquisition and allocation.
                  >
                  > The system shall highlight any failure to follow the gamemode's rules
                  > for skill acquisition and allocation.
                  >
                  > The system shall provide a means to make adjustments to INT either
                  > have no effect or retroactively adjust the available skill points per
                  > level.
                  >
                  > The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
                  > adjustments settable on a per PC basis.
                  >
                  > The system shall provide a means to make the retroactivity of INT
                  > adjustments default to the gamemode value.

                  I see a lot of this is done already, it mostly needs better display of
                  what's going on.

                  It doesn't tell me where ranks came from and it lets me adjust ranks that
                  weren't
                  given by the level I'm adjusting.

                  andrew