Monsters not getting spells from kits

  • distant_scholar
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 21, 2010
      [I'm not sure if this is a data bug, a code bug, a feature request, a "live with it" issue, or something else.]

      I've been working on a set of files for Dreamscarred Press' upcoming Pathfinderization of 3.5 psionics, and I ran into a bit of a problem with the Unbodied and its kit. I then discovered that the problem is there in 3.5, too:

      1. [3.5] The Unbodied is supposed to be able to get Telepath powers, but isn't. The telepath powers in the kit are then, of course, not applied. I tried a few things (like changing the class Psion to Telepath or Psion (Telepath)), but they didn't fix the problem.

      I then looked for another possible model, and found that the Couatl (in Pathfinder at least) can get spells from both the Sorcerer and the Cleric list. So I checked it out.

      2. [Pathfinder; myabe 3.5] The Couatl's kit lists default spells, but the Couatl doesn't actually get the spells from the list. You can add them from both the Sorcerer and the Cleric lists just fine manually, but the default spells don't get applied by the kit.

      I couldn't get this method to work correctly, either. If there's some way of doing this, please let me know (and fix the existing data bug :-), but it seems more likely to me that either the code isn't quite right, or the code can't do it (yet).
    • gjorbjond
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2010
        I think there's a code bug with SPELLLIST. I redid the Couatl class with:

        ADD:SPELLCASTER|1|Sorcerer
        SPELLLIST:1|Cleric
        BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|8

        That's similar to how the Guardian Naga is coded in the rsrd_classes_monsters_specific.lst. When I applied the kit, it did insert the Sorcerer spells, but none of the cleric spells.

        One other thing I noticed is that the caster level ended up being 8. I'd have thought that it should have been 9 with what I had coded, so there may be another issue with ADD:SPELLCASTER or BONUS:PCLEVEL.

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "distant_scholar" <adventure@...> wrote:

        > [I'm not sure if this is a data bug, a code bug, a feature request, a "live with it" issue, or something else.]
        >
        > I've been working on a set of files for Dreamscarred Press' upcoming Pathfinderization of 3.5 psionics, and I ran into a bit of a problem with the Unbodied and its kit. I then discovered that the problem is there in 3.5, too:
        >
        > 1. [3.5] The Unbodied is supposed to be able to get Telepath powers, but isn't. The telepath powers in the kit are then, of course, not applied. I tried a few things (like changing the class Psion to Telepath or Psion (Telepath)), but they didn't fix the problem.
        >
        > I then looked for another possible model, and found that the Couatl (in Pathfinder at least) can get spells from both the Sorcerer and the Cleric list. So I checked it out.
        >
        > 2. [Pathfinder; myabe 3.5] The Couatl's kit lists default spells, but the Couatl doesn't actually get the spells from the list. You can add them from both the Sorcerer and the Cleric lists just fine manually, but the default spells don't get applied by the kit.
        >
        > I couldn't get this method to work correctly, either. If there's some way of doing this, please let me know (and fix the existing data bug :-), but it seems more likely to me that either the code isn't quite right, or the code can't do it (yet).

      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2010
          Bump, is someone able to confirm these issues? Actually Gjorbjond, you can
          raise these as JIRAs, which will make sure they're not forgotten.

          http://jira.pcgen.org

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2010

            In 5.16.4RC2 I created a new character, applied the kit couatl default creature. All seems in order.
            Spells included.

            I can't confirm behavior. Need steps and data sets loaded to recreate the issue.

            On 10/27/2010 7:55 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
            > Bump, is someone able to confirm these issues? Actually Gjorbjond, you can
            > raise these as JIRAs, which will make sure they're not forgotten.
            >
            > http://jira.pcgen.org

            > On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:22 PM, gjorbjond<Gjorbjond@...> wrote:
            >

            >> I think there's a code bug with SPELLLIST. I redid the Couatl class with:
            >>
            >> ADD:SPELLCASTER|1|Sorcerer
            >> SPELLLIST:1|Cleric
            >> BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|8
            >>
            >> That's similar to how the Guardian Naga is coded in the
            >> rsrd_classes_monsters_specific.lst. When I applied the kit, it did insert
            >> the Sorcerer spells, but none of the cleric spells.
            >>
            >> One other thing I noticed is that the caster level ended up being 8. I'd
            >> have thought that it should have been 9 with what I had coded, so there may
            >> be another issue with ADD:SPELLCASTER or BONUS:PCLEVEL.
            >>

            >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com<pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, "distant_scholar"
            >> <adventure@...> wrote:
            >>> [I'm not sure if this is a data bug, a code bug, a feature request, a
            >> "live with it" issue, or something else.]
            >>> I've been working on a set of files for Dreamscarred Press' upcoming
            >> Pathfinderization of 3.5 psionics, and I ran into a bit of a problem with
            >> the Unbodied and its kit. I then discovered that the problem is there in
            >> 3.5, too:
            >>> 1. [3.5] The Unbodied is supposed to be able to get Telepath powers, but
            >> isn't. The telepath powers in the kit are then, of course, not applied. I
            >> tried a few things (like changing the class Psion to Telepath or Psion
            >> (Telepath)), but they didn't fix the problem.
            >>> I then looked for another possible model, and found that the Couatl (in
            >> Pathfinder at least) can get spells from both the Sorcerer and the Cleric
            >> list. So I checked it out.
            >>> 2. [Pathfinder; myabe 3.5] The Couatl's kit lists default spells, but the
            >> Couatl doesn't actually get the spells from the list. You can add them from
            >> both the Sorcerer and the Cleric lists just fine manually, but the default
            >> spells don't get applied by the kit.
            >>> I couldn't get this method to work correctly, either. If there's some way
            >> of doing this, please let me know (and fix the existing data bug :-), but it
            >> seems more likely to me that either the code isn't quite right, or the code
            >> can't do it (yet).

            > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          • gjorbjond
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 28, 2010
              In 5.16.4 RC2 with Pathfinder Core and Bestiary loaded, created new character, applied couatl race, then couatl default kit. Everything looks ok except none of the spells that were supposed to be added to the Spells Known by the kit were added.

              The SPELLS:SPELLBOOK=Known Spells| in the kit doesn't seem to work here.

              Loaded up the RSRD complete set, created new character, applied Naga (Guardian) race, then kit. Spells are added to the Spells Known correctly, except for the cleric spells.

              The SPELLS:SPELLBOOK=Known Spells| in the kit seems to work here, but SPELLLIST:3|Cleric|DOMAIN.Good|DOMAIN.Law doesn't. Also, by my count the Guardian Naga should have a caster level of 9, but looking at the durations and damage of the spells known, it's only 8. If I had to guess, I'd say ADD:SPELLCASTER|Sorcerer wasn't setting the caster level to 1.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 28, 2010
                Hi there,

                Can you raise a JIRA for this please?

                Thanks!

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 28, 2010

                  Heh, partially correct. There isn't any ADD or BONUS setting it. I see the issue, and am fixing it now.