Export to PDF error with current Pathfinder from Trunk

  • Terry Milnes
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 20, 2010
      I D/L'd the most current data from Trunk and overwrote my files with
      the data from there. Now I get the following error:

      "An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x016) was found in the element
      content of the document."

      How would I go about fixing this?
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 20, 2010
        Ugh... probably a bad character, but all my files show as clean. Need to investigate to find the
        culprit.

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 20, 2010

          Send me the character in question... The feats, and selections will help solve the mystery.

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 20, 2010

            It seems to be working fine on this end. I'm suspecting custom data may be the culprit in this case.

            On 10/20/2010 5:41 PM, Terry Milnes wrote:
            > I D/L'd the most current data from Trunk and overwrote my files with
            > the data from there. Now I get the following error:
            >
            > "An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x016) was found in the element
            > content of the document."
            >
            > How would I go about fixing this?

            > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          • Stefan Radermacher
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010
              There are some nasty non-ascii characters in the BENEFIT tags for feats like
              Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Deadly Aim, and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting,
              and possibly more. If a character has one of these feats, and the program is
              set to use the BENEFIT tags, export to pdf files will fail with the mentioned
              error message. This problem is present both in trunk and branch, and I guess
              in 5.16.4 RC1, too. I will clean up these characters today and commit that
              later. In the meantime you can go to the file and check out the mentioned
              feats, if your character has them. The culprit character is a long minus sign
              that is used in the penalties (it may or may not display as such in your
              editor). This happens when text is copied from a Paizo PDF and pasted into the
              lst file, sometimes these non-ascii characters can slip by.

              Regards,
              Stefan.

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010
                Hm, it'd be nice if prettyLST would automatically convert the illegal characters
                then.

                Barak, any way you can set that up?

                --
                Andrew

                ________________________________
                There are some nasty non-ascii characters in the BENEFIT tags for feats like
                Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Deadly Aim, and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting,
                and possibly more. If a character has one of these feats, and the program is
                set to use the BENEFIT tags, export to pdf files will fail with the mentioned
                error message. This problem is present both in trunk and branch, and I guess
                in 5.16.4 RC1, too. I will clean up these characters today and commit that
                later. In the meantime you can go to the file and check out the mentioned
                feats, if your character has them. The culprit character is a long minus sign
                that is used in the penalties (it may or may not display as such in your
                editor). This happens when text is copied from a Paizo PDF and pasted into the
                lst file, sometimes these non-ascii characters can slip by.

                Regards,
                Stefan.

                On Thursday 21 October 2010 04:35:03 Andrew Maitland wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > It seems to be working fine on this end. I'm suspecting custom data may be
                > the culprit in this case.
                >
                > On 10/20/2010 5:41 PM, Terry Milnes wrote:
                > > I D/L'd the most current data from Trunk and overwrote my files with
                > > the data from there. Now I get the following error:
                > >
                > > "An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x016) was found in the element
                > > content of the document."
                > >
                > > How would I go about fixing this?
                > >

                > > ------------------------------------
                > >
                > > Related Lists
                > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                > > http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html PCGen's Backup
                > > Autobuilds and Docs:
                > > http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html
                > >
                > > PCGen List File Help:
                > > creating new homebrew or official list files)
                > >
                > > PCGen Experimental:
                > > data source development)
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                ------------------------------------

                Related Lists

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010
                  On Thursday 21 October 2010 11:11:05 Andrew Maitland wrote:
                  > Hm, it'd be nice if prettyLST would automatically convert the illegal
                  > characters then.
                  >
                  > Barak, any way you can set that up?

                  That's actually a great idea!

                  Stefan.
                • Terry Milnes
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010
                    And that was my problem. Thanks to everyone!

                  • Barak
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010
                      Remember our discussion about why I created my own conversion script? I get
                      lost every time I try and do something in PL. :p

                      I'll take a look at making a stand alone script if that's desired, although
                      I think I'd need to research and see what needs to be checked for/changed.

                      Barak

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010

                        The culprits are Left Quotes, Right Quotes, Long Dash, Slanting Apostrophe

                        Those are what I end up replacing most of the time.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010
                          Actually it's two different long dashes, the endash (used as a minus
                          sign) and the emdash (used to tie parts of a sentence together).

                          Stefan.

                          On 21.10.10 22:46, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > The culprits are Left Quotes, Right Quotes, Long Dash, Slanting Apostrophe
                          >
                          > Those are what I end up replacing most of the time.
                          >

                          > On 10/21/2010 1:43 PM, Barak wrote:
                          >> Remember our discussion about why I created my own conversion script? I get
                          >> lost every time I try and do something in PL. :p
                          >>

                          >> I'll take a look at making a stand alone script if that's desired, although
                          >> I think I'd need to research and see what needs to be checked for/changed.
                          >>

                          >> Barak
                          >>

                          >> From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com [mailto:pcgen@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
                          >> Andrew Maitland
                          >>

                          >> Hm, it'd be nice if prettyLST would automatically convert the illegal
                          >> characters
                          >> then.
                          >>
                          >> Barak, any way you can set that up?
                          >>
                          >> --
                          >> Andrew

                          >> ------------------------------------
                          >>
                          >> Related Lists
                          >> PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Andrew Wilson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010
                            Really? They're using en dash as a minus? That's odd, hyphen is usually
                            used for minus and en dash in things like date ranges 3 – 5 Aug, etc.
                            That must be a Paizo house style thing.

                            andrew

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 22, 2010
                                On Thursday 21 October 2010 22:43:53 Barak wrote:
                                > Remember our discussion about why I created my own conversion script? I
                                > get lost every time I try and do something in PL. :p

                                I can try to get that into PL if you like.

                                Stefan.
                              • joxtur
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 22, 2010
                                  What you probably want to do is a regex similar to these:

                                  $string =~ s/\x96|\x97/-/g; #replace hex of emdash and endash with hyphen
                                  $string =~ s/\x91|\x92/'/g; #replace hex of smart single quote with apostrophe
                                  $string =~ s/\x93|\x94/"/g; #replace hex of smart quote with quote