Re: [TOM] Re: [pcgen_experimental] Re: [pcgen] Re: REMOVE:ABILITY

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 28, 2010
      I'm going to assume Tom answered this somewhere :)

    • thpr
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 29, 2010
        I hadn't. The issue is really one of original construction. I wasn't around for the construction, but basically REMOVE:FEAT reversed ADD:FEAT (or a normal selection). Given VFEAT was for virtual, and something else for automatic, REMOVE:ABILITY was done as an analogy to REMOVE:FEAT and just does the Normal nature.

        TP

        > I'm going to assume Tom answered this somewhere :)
        >
        > On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:57 AM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > This is not a Data Team issue, it's a Code Team issue. Tom can explain it
        > > much better than I. I can dredge up the discussion but it'll have to be much
        > > later.
        > >

        > > On 9/14/2010 8:54 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
        > >
        > > Probably more a Q for the internal team at experimental :)

        > > On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 7:51 AM, herzogaldilkassach <herzogaldilkassach@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Started to work on some datasets again, ran into this again, found the
        > > referred feature has moved to jira (http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/NEWTAG-169
        > > ), my question still is open:
        > >
        > > why limit the removal to 'NORMAL' abilities?
        > >
        > > Any thoughts on this?
        > >
        > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@> <drew0500@> wrote:
        > >
        > > *bump*
        > >
        > > On 10/30/2009 6:38 AM, herzogaldilkassach wrote:
        > >
        > > I would like to use the/a REMOVE:ABILITY tag to replace existing
        > >
        > > (class) abilities with Alternate Class Features(abilities).
        > >
        > > I checked the freq's, and I found a request for this feature.
        > > (
        > >
        > > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2038187&group_id=25576&atid=384722
        > > )
        > >
        > > However, part of the request details how the functionality would apply
        > >
        > > only to 'NORMAL' abilities, and not to 'AUTOMATIC' abilities.
        > >
        > > That would lead to:
        > > a. not being able to replace class features (which are mostly
        > >
        > > automatic) or
        > >
        > > b. re-writing most of the classes to use a different type of ability
        > >
        > > for class abilities that might be replaced.
        > >
        > > Allowing Alternate Class Features has been a big addition in the later
        > >
        > > part of 3.5, and I would like to be able to code those alternate selections
        > > up in my lst files somehow.
        > >
        > > Any thoughts on this?
        > >

        > > ------------------------------------
        > >
        > > Related Lists
        > > PCGen's Online Docs:
        > >
        > > http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
        > >
        > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
        > >
        > > http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html
        > >
        > > PCGen List File Help:

        > > PCGen Experimental:

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > > --
        > >
        > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        > > Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
        > > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        > > --
        > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        > > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      • herzogaldilkassach
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 30, 2010
          Ok, then let me ask this:

          Is it going to be possible in the (near) future to remove automatic abilities?

          If not, how do people suggest handling alternate class features?
          I expect Pathfinder is having issues with this as well to implement the different Archethypes. How are you handling those?

          I really want a nice, clean solution for this, instead of my current solution, which requires me to MOD all base classes, add a special requirement to the ability, than make that requirement invalid when I want to remove the ability. That really should be part of the code, not the data....

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:

          > I hadn't. The issue is really one of original construction. I wasn't around for the construction, but basically REMOVE:FEAT reversed ADD:FEAT (or a normal selection). Given VFEAT was for virtual, and something else for automatic, REMOVE:ABILITY was done as an analogy to REMOVE:FEAT and just does the Normal nature.
          >
          > TP

        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 30, 2010
            Hi Folks!

            Andrew and Stefan have worked out a way to implement Archtypes that works wonderfully. Stay tuned for the 5.16.4 release, which has been planned specifically to role out the Archive implementation.

            Maredudd

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Sep 30, 2010, at 9:43 AM, "herzogaldilkassach" <herzogaldilkassach@...> wrote:

            > Ok, then let me ask this:
            >
            > Is it going to be possible in the (near) future to remove automatic abilities?
            >
            > If not, how do people suggest handling alternate class features?
            > I expect Pathfinder is having issues with this as well to implement the different Archethypes. How are you handling those?
            >
            > I really want a nice, clean solution for this, instead of my current solution, which requires me to MOD all base classes, add a special requirement to the ability, than make that requirement invalid when I want to remove the ability. That really should be part of the code, not the data....
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > I hadn't. The issue is really one of original construction. I wasn't around for the construction, but basically REMOVE:FEAT reversed ADD:FEAT (or a normal selection). Given VFEAT was for virtual, and something else for automatic, REMOVE:ABILITY was done as an analogy to REMOVE:FEAT and just does the Normal nature.
            > >
            > > TP

          • herzogaldilkassach
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 30, 2010
              please tell me I can already find it in the trunc?
              please?

              > Hi Folks!
              >
              > Andrew and Stefan have worked out a way to implement Archtypes that works wonderfully. Stay tuned for the 5.16.4 release, which has been planned specifically to role out the Archive implementation.
              >
              > Maredudd
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Sep 30, 2010, at 9:43 AM, "herzogaldilkassach" <herzogaldilkassach@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Ok, then let me ask this:
              > >
              > > Is it going to be possible in the (near) future to remove automatic abilities?
              > >
              > > If not, how do people suggest handling alternate class features?
              > > I expect Pathfinder is having issues with this as well to implement the different Archethypes. How are you handling those?
              > >
              > > I really want a nice, clean solution for this, instead of my current solution, which requires me to MOD all base classes, add a special requirement to the ability, than make that requirement invalid when I want to remove the ability. That really should be part of the code, not the data....
              > >
              > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > I hadn't. The issue is really one of original construction. I wasn't around for the construction, but basically REMOVE:FEAT reversed ADD:FEAT (or a normal selection). Given VFEAT was for virtual, and something else for automatic, REMOVE:ABILITY was done as an analogy to REMOVE:FEAT and just does the Normal nature.
              > > >
              > > > TP

            • Maredudd
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 30, 2010
                Hi Folks!

                herzogaldilkassach wrote:

                > please tell me I can already find it in the trunc?
                > please?

                Check this link for more info:

                http://wiki.pcgen.org/Beta_Testers_for_Testing

                Maredudd

                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Folks!
                > >
                > > Andrew and Stefan have worked out a way to implement Archtypes that works wonderfully. Stay tuned for the 5.16.4 release, which has been planned specifically to role out the Archive implementation.
                > >
                > > Maredudd
                > >
                > > Sent from my iPhone
                > >
                > > On Sep 30, 2010, at 9:43 AM, "herzogaldilkassach" <herzogaldilkassach@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Ok, then let me ask this:
                > > >
                > > > Is it going to be possible in the (near) future to remove automatic abilities?
                > > >
                > > > If not, how do people suggest handling alternate class features?
                > > > I expect Pathfinder is having issues with this as well to implement the different Archethypes. How are you handling those?
                > > >
                > > > I really want a nice, clean solution for this, instead of my current solution, which requires me to MOD all base classes, add a special requirement to the ability, than make that requirement invalid when I want to remove the ability. That really should be part of the code, not the data....

              • herzogaldilkassach
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 30, 2010
                  ....Unfortunately the Brutal Pugilist Barbarian still displays the Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge. These should be replaced by the brutal Pugilist Archetype....

                  Oh well, I'll wait until the next version. And see if I can generate some comment on the current version in the meantime....

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 30, 2010

                    Did you actually replace the core set? If you didn't then no abilities will replace properly.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010
                      Ah. thanks, I missed that one.

                      Ok, so abilities, when given to a class, get a prexxx that 'removes' them when getting a specific type of ability.
                      Very similar to what I had for 3.5 ACF. Guess great minds think alike or something.

                      I'll continue using that for 3.5 ACF then, unless a method of removing automatic abilities comes along at some time :)

                      And I'll replace the core set for pathfinder to get my Brutal Puglist Barbarian working....

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010
                        just checking: any chance of changes like this making it into the RSRD dataset? Right now, I have to .MOD all the classes, would be nice to have it in the standard set.
                        I'd be willing to do the coding.
                        Not sure if the agreement with WotC would allow it though.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010

                          I have plans to do something similar for the RSRD set, but unfortunately I have a lot on my plate.
                          With the APG taking up most of my time, I don't have the time to really give a good look over at
                          what abilities need to be removable. I know the Unearthed Arcana has some of that going on for it.
                          The one set that seems to take forever to get finished.

                          If you've got a copy of the base classes with something like that done, then I'll enter it in after
                          reviewing it. But to make the 5.16.4 release, that would have to happen by the next 24 hours.

                          Otherwise, we're looking at 5.17.4 as the earliest implementation that would have that for the RSRD.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010
                            Looks like I will be dividing my time between APG abilities and the RSRD ACF options then...

                            I'll see what I can get you this weekend!

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 1, 2010
                              Every little bit helps.

                              drew0500 at Yahoo dot com

                              Cheers, and Good night.