PsiCristal no HD?

  • herzogaldilkassach
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2010
      I'm unsure of how the psicrystal is supposed to work in PCGen, but this seemed rather strange:

      I created a lvl 1 psion with the Psicrystal affinaty feat, gave it a psicrystal, then switched to the psicrystal.

      All stats seem to be correct (although I'm not so sure the hp of the psicrystal should scale with the hp of the master when applying 'vigor') except the psicrystal has no HD (NB: no levels at all)
      and PCGen states 'enough xp to gain a lvl'.

      Is this correct behaviour? or should the psicrystal be getting construct HD or something?
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2010
        The behavior seems odd, though I've never played a psion with a psi crystal
        before. However, in almost all regards the Psi Crystal acts just like a
        Familiar. Saves, Half Masters HP (Including Feats or Spells last I checked),
        skills....

        The HD might be an oversight, you can grant it 1 HD and it won't affect
        anything. Seems like something that can easily be fixed. I'll flag the message
        for a data monkey to take a Look.

        --
        Andrew

        ________________________________
        I'm unsure of how the psicrystal is supposed to work in PCGen, but this seemed
        rather strange:

        I created a lvl 1 psion with the Psicrystal affinaty feat, gave it a psicrystal,
        then switched to the psicrystal.

        All stats seem to be correct (although I'm not so sure the hp of the psicrystal
        should scale with the hp of the master when applying 'vigor') except the
        psicrystal has no HD (NB: no levels at all)
        and PCGen states 'enough xp to gain a lvl'.

        Is this correct behaviour? or should the psicrystal be getting construct HD or
        something?

        ------------------------------------

        Related Lists
        PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
        PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2010
          Bump :)

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
            Hi,

            http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-117

            and fixed
            5.16 - Completed: At revision: 13224
            Trunk - Completed: At revision: 13225

            On 9/28/2010 8:42 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
            > Bump :)
            >
            > On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@...> wrote:
            >

            >> The behavior seems odd, though I've never played a psion with a psi crystal
            >>
            >> before. However, in almost all regards the Psi Crystal acts just like a
            >> Familiar. Saves, Half Masters HP (Including Feats or Spells last I
            >> checked),
            >> skills....
            >>
            >> The HD might be an oversight, you can grant it 1 HD and it won't affect
            >> anything. Seems like something that can easily be fixed. I'll flag the
            >> message
            >> for a data monkey to take a Look.
            >>
            >> --
            >> Andrew
            >>
            >> ________________________________

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
              This is the expected behavior, no fix is necessary. There is a certain
              amount of ambiguity in the interpretation of the rules which has never
              really been resolved. To the best of our ability we determined that the
              official interpretation is that Psicrystals do not get HD not do they
              progress like familiars and so that is the default coding for this feature.

              That said there is a sizeable contingent of folks who went the other way and
              house-ruled it so they do progress like familiars. In order to accommodate
              as many folks playing styles as possible we created a small dataset which
              modifies the Psicrystal for this interpretation. You can find it in the
              PCGen directory in the 3.5e gameMode, it's named PCGen Open Gaming Content -
              Psicrystal Hit Dice.

              Here is the doc entry in the source help section about the set:

              http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/sourcehelp/pcgen_ogc_psicrys
              tal_hd.html

              Sorry for the late response, I just now got caught up with the latest on
              this list.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp

              Andrew Maitland scribed:

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
                Hi,

                Well, shucks, I guess I can back out my commit then. We should really get PCGen to not complain
                about the level issue then though.

                On 10/1/2010 4:59 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                > This is the expected behavior, no fix is necessary. There is a certain
                > amount of ambiguity in the interpretation of the rules which has never
                > really been resolved. To the best of our ability we determined that the
                > official interpretation is that Psicrystals do not get HD not do they
                > progress like familiars and so that is the default coding for this feature.
                >
                > That said there is a sizeable contingent of folks who went the other way and
                > house-ruled it so they do progress like familiars. In order to accommodate
                > as many folks playing styles as possible we created a small dataset which
                > modifies the Psicrystal for this interpretation. You can find it in the
                > PCGen directory in the 3.5e gameMode, it's named PCGen Open Gaming Content -
                > Psicrystal Hit Dice.
                >
                > Here is the doc entry in the source help section about the set:
                >
                > http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/sourcehelp/pcgen_ogc_psicrys
                > tal_hd.html
                >
                > Sorry for the late response, I just now got caught up with the latest on
                > this list.

                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin