Re: [pcgen] Overall spells known

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2010
      Hi Jack,

      This type of question is best over on the PCGen List File Help Group. [Go ahead and join that group
      to follow up]

      And since I'm one of the few that seems to be active on this holiday weekend (Noting lack of replies
      currently), I'll spare you of having to repeat the question, and x-post it to that group. PLEASE
      Follow Up on the correct group though.

      This seems to be a multi-tiered problem you're presenting.

      Part 1 - KNOWN SPELLS*
      Version 1 - You can use BONUS:VAR and have the 'KNOWN' be a Variable name
      Version 2 - You can use BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=1|1

      *I personally think Version 2 is a better method, but in my typing this up, and rereading it, I
      realized version 2 existed after I finished writing the complete deal for version 1. *Sigh*,
      anyways, you can freely choose the method you'd like.

      Part 2 - Spell Level DC - Fixed by the above stuff I detail.

      I'm going to call your class the "Monkey Magus". Why? Cause it makes this a bit easier.

      Okay, Monkey Magus seems to be a very flexible guy, so here is how we code him up to handle the
      first part:

      CLASS:Monkey Magus <> HD:4 <> TYPE:Base.PC <> BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL/2|TYPE=Base.REPLACE <>
      BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Will|CL+2/2 <> BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Fortitude,BASE.Reflex|CL/3
      CLASS:Monkey Magus <> STARTSKILLPTS:2 <> CSKILL:Bluff|Knowledge (Arcana)|Spellcraft|Use Rope
      CLASS:Monkey Magus <> SPELLSTAT:CHA <> MEMORIZE:NO <> SPELLBOOK:NO <> BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Monkey
      Magus|CL <> SPELLTYPE:Arcane

      *Version 1 - the really complicated method, but hey, this goes to show how convoluted you can go:*

      1:REPEATLEVEL:1 <>
      CAST:MagusCastLvlZero,MagusCastLvlOne,MagusCastLvlTwo,MagusCastLvlThree,MagusCastLvlFour,MagusCastLvlFive,MagusCastLvlSix,MagusCastLvlSeven,MagusCastLvlEight,MagusCastLvlNine
      <>
      KNOWN:MagusKnownLvlZero,MagusKnownLvlOne,MagusKnownLvlTwo,MagusKnownLvlThree,MagusKnownLvlFour,MagusKnownLvlFive,MagusKnownLvlSix,MagusKnownLvlSeven,MagusKnownLvlEight,MagusKnownLvlNine

      Of course you'll need to DEFINE all those to '0' - 'MagusKnownLvlZero' etc.

      I'm HOPING the guy gets a set number of Known to spread however s/he wants. So I'll set up this as well

      1 <> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Monkey Magus Known Level Selection|MonkeyMagusKnownSpells <>
      DEFINE:MonkeyMagusKnownSpells|0
      and
      1 <> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Monkey Magus Automatic

      Here is what the abilities will look like:

      Monkey Magus Automatic <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> DEFINE:MonkeyMagusMaxLVL|0

      BONUS:VAR|MagusCastLvlZero|99|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Monkey Magus Known Level 0 <>
      BONUS:VAR|MagusCastLvlOne|99|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Monkey Magus Known Level 1

      Repeat the formula for each level up to 9 (or whatever your max really is)

      Monkey Magus Known Level 0 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:VAR|MagusKnownLvlZero|1
      Monkey Magus Known Level 1 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:VAR|MagusKnownLvlOne|1

      Repeat the formula for each level up to 9 (or whatever your max really is) and if the class is
      limited to certain levels of spells until x level, then use PREVARGTEQ:MonkeyMagucMaxLVL,x with 'x'
      being the Level they need to be, I use the var, cause you didn't specify whether it is set or not,
      if it's always the same then just use PRECLASS:1,Monkey Magus=x and you just place that on the
      'Monkey Magus Known Level x' abilities you just set up.

      *VERSION 2: A better method I think...*
      1:REPEATLEVEL:1 <> CAST:99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99 <> KNOWN:0
      1 <> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Monkey Magus Known Level Selection|MonkeyMagusKnownSpells <>
      DEFINE:MonkeyMagusKnownSpells|0
      and
      1 <> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Monkey Magus Automatic
      Now, at each level they get an increase you simply use

      Now, You'll need to actually set up the abilitycategory for the 'Monkey Magus Known Level Selection'
      and you'll want to use an easy to remember TYPE in that, I'd go 'MonkeyMagusLevelChoice'

      Monkey Magus Automatic <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> DEFINE:MonkeyMagusMaxLVL|0

      Monkey Magus Known Level 0 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=0|1

      Monkey Magus Known Level 1 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=1|1

      Monkey Magus Known Level 2 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=2|1

      Monkey Magus Known Level 3 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=3|1

      Repeat the formula for each level up to 9 (or whatever your max really is)

      And in case you really need help with the Abilitycategory part:

      ABILITYCATEGORY:Monkey Magus Known Level Selection <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      CATEGORY:Special Ability <> EDITABLE:YES <> EDITPOOL:YES <> DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities <>
      PLURAL:Monkey Magus Known Level Choices

      Part 2 - Spells DC?

      Don't make the spells Level 0, or if you really, really, really think that is the best method, then
      you'll need to add an extra DESCRIPTOR tag to each spell and use the bonus tags to increase the DC.
      Personally, I recommend against it, as the method above gives you greater control. Plus, PREFEATs in
      the spells files can tend to slow performance down if attached to the CLASSES tag.

      If you use the above steps, you'll a) have the fine tune control you've been looking for, b) will
      have the correct spell DCs.

      Okay, that's the lengthy reply to your request. Please remember to follow up questions on the
      correct group.

      Cheers,

      On 9/6/2010 4:04 PM, Jack wrote:
      > I am trying to code a spellcaster class that can spontaneously cast spells at will, but is limited in the number of spells known.
      >
      > The spells in this class's spell list are classified into grades, which I have represented as hidden feats and controlled by the PREFEAT tag in the spell list file.
      >
      > The part that I am stuck on is that this class has an overall number of spells known that is not broken up by level.
      >
      > For example, a character at a certain level may know 4 spells, and these four may be any combination of level 0,1 or 2.
      >
      > How would I represent this in my list files? I tried making every spell level 0 and used the hidden feats to control which spells the character has access to at different character levels, but this leaves PCGen unable to calculate the correct save DC. I'd like to be able avoid this.

      > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin