PCGen code used in DM Assist

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 25, 2010
      Cool, PCGen and GMGen code is used in the DM Assist. :)

      http://ziroby.com/android/license
    • Eric Jarman
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 26, 2010
        It looks like he's licensed his code under the GPL. I worry a little that
        there may be a conflict there with the PCGen code being licensed under the
        LGPL. Is this a case where someone should talk to him about switching his
        project to the LGPL as well?

        On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:

        > Cool, PCGen and GMGen code is used in the DM Assist. :)
        >
        > http://ziroby.com/android/license

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
        > PCGen's Online Docs:
        > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
        >
        > PCGen List File Help:

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 26, 2010
          LGPL can be used in GPL, but GPL code can not be used in LGPL. AFAIK

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...> wrote:

          > It looks like he's licensed his code under the GPL. I worry a little that
          > there may be a conflict there with the PCGen code being licensed under the
          > LGPL. Is this a case where someone should talk to him about switching his
          > project to the LGPL as well?
          >
          > On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Cool, PCGen and GMGen code is used in the DM Assist. :)
          > >
          > > http://ziroby.com/android/license
          > >

          > > ------------------------------------
          > >
          > > Related Lists
          > > PCGen's Online Docs:
          > > http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
          > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
          > > http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html
          > >
          > > PCGen List File Help:

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
            We'll look into it. We're going to try and approach him for some mutual
            Public Relations anyhow (we're quite chuffed that he chose to use some PCGen
            code)

            On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:

            > LGPL can be used in GPL, but GPL code can not be used in LGPL. AFAIK
            >

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, Eric Jarman
            > <eric.h.jarman@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > It looks like he's licensed his code under the GPL. I worry a little that
            > > there may be a conflict there with the PCGen code being licensed under
            > the
            > > LGPL. Is this a case where someone should talk to him about switching his
            > > project to the LGPL as well?
            > >
            > > On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Cool, PCGen and GMGen code is used in the DM Assist. :)
            > > >
            > > > http://ziroby.com/android/license
            > > >

            > > > ------------------------------------
            > > >
            > > > Related Lists
            > > > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
            > > > PCGen's Roadmap: http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Roadmap
            > > > PCGen's Online Docs:
            > > > http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
            > > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
            > > > http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html
            > > >
            > > > PCGen List File Help:
            > > >
            > > > PCGen Experimental:
            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ziroby
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
              Hi, I'm the author of DM Assist. <http://ziroby.com/android> I would
              be very interested in mutual public relations. In fact, I've already
              modified the license webpage to link to the PCGen home page
              <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/> when it mentions PCGen. I'll modify
              the Android app to do the same on its next release.

              And yes, I understood the GPL to say that I could use LGPL content in my
              GPL program. But IANAL and I am not RMS, so I might be mistaken. I
              might should be specifying version 3 or later of the GPL. Also, I
              believe that some of the source files that I used had a GPL notice at
              the top. I welcome any insight into GPL legalities.

              DM Assist is my first Android program and the first open source program
              I've release. So I'd love to get feedback on it. Have you downloaded
              it? What do y'all think of it? There's also a swing version of it
              available from the sourceforge page.
              <http://sourceforge.net/projects/dmassist> I'd also welcome co-authors,
              if anyone's interested.

              Thanks,

              Ron "Ziroby" Romero

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...>

              http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php

            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
                Hi Ron,

                That's great to hear! One of the Paul(s) will be in touch about the
                licensing side of things (not that we're at all worried about you using
                parts of PCGen, it's more to help both of us understand what licenses are
                valid in these situations). Eric will be in touch on the PR side, the BoD
                is just trying to figure out how we can best help out!

                As for all of our users, I'd encourage you to give Ron's software a go! As
                PCGen isn't quite ready to go mobile yet ;p, your best bet (if you're an
                Android mobile user) is to try DM Assist!

                I'm unfortunately an evil iPhone user, so I haven't got a device to try it
                on yet.

                Karianna
                Chair Monkey - BoD

                On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM, ziroby <ziroby@...> wrote:

                > Hi, I'm the author of DM Assist. <http://ziroby.com/android> I would
                > be very interested in mutual public relations. In fact, I've already
                > modified the license webpage to link to the PCGen home page
                > <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/> when it mentions PCGen. I'll modify
                > the Android app to do the same on its next release.
                >
                > And yes, I understood the GPL to say that I could use LGPL content in my
                > GPL program. But IANAL and I am not RMS, so I might be mistaken. I
                > might should be specifying version 3 or later of the GPL. Also, I
                > believe that some of the source files that I used had a GPL notice at
                > the top. I welcome any insight into GPL legalities.
                >
                > DM Assist is my first Android program and the first open source program
                > I've release. So I'd love to get feedback on it. Have you downloaded
                > it? What do y'all think of it? There's also a swing version of it
                > available from the sourceforge page.
                > <http://sourceforge.net/projects/dmassist> I'd also welcome co-authors,
                > if anyone's interested.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Ron "Ziroby" Romero
                >
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, Martijn Verburg
                > <martijnverburg@...>
                > wrote:
                >

                > > We'll look into it. We're going to try and approach him for some
                > mutual
                > > Public Relations anyhow (we're quite chuffed that he chose to use some
                > PCGen
                > > code)

                > > On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Paul nylanfs@... wrote:
                > >

                > > > LGPL can be used in GPL, but GPL code can not be used in LGPL. AFAIK
                > > >

                > > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <pcgen%40yahoogroups.com> <pcgen%
                > 40yahoogroups.com>, Eric Jarman

                > little that
                > under
                > > > the
                > switching his

                > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php

              • Barak
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 27, 2010
                  Heh, I have an iPod touch, but my next phone (about a week away) is going to be a droit, so I'll try it then.

                  Barak
                  ~ Content SB

                  Sent from my iPod

                  On Aug 27, 2010, at 11:14 AM, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                  > I'm unfortunately an evil iPhone user, so I haven't got a device to try it
                  > on yet.
                  >
                  > Karianna
                  > Chair Monkey - BoD

                • joseph.caubo
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 31, 2010
                    I feel like it'd be awesome if PCGen was available on touchpad (IE iPad) hardware. I would so use it on an iPad!

                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Barak <barak@...> wrote:

                    > Heh, I have an iPod touch, but my next phone (about a week away) is going to be a droit, so I'll try it then.
                    >
                    > Barak
                    > ~ Content SB
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPod
                    >
                    > On Aug 27, 2010, at 11:14 AM, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'm unfortunately an evil iPhone user, so I haven't got a device to try it
                    > > on yet.
                    > >
                    > > Karianna
                    > > Chair Monkey - BoD

                  • Joe Medica
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                      Is it available on the iPhone? That would really rock!

                      Joe Medica
                      570-294-2547

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Sep 1, 2010, at 2:00 AM, "joseph.caubo" <joseph.caubo@...> wrote:

                      > I feel like it'd be awesome if PCGen was available on touchpad (IE iPad) hardware. I would so use it on an iPad!
                      >
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Barak <barak@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Heh, I have an iPod touch, but my next phone (about a week away) is going to be a droit, so I'll try it then.
                      > >
                      > > Barak
                      > > ~ Content SB
                      > >
                      > > Sent from my iPod
                      > >
                      > > On Aug 27, 2010, at 11:14 AM, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > I'm unfortunately an evil iPhone user, so I haven't got a device to try it
                      > > > on yet.
                      > > >
                      > > > Karianna
                      > > > Chair Monkey - BoD

                    • Anestis Kozakis
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
                        On 2010/09/01 7:59 AM -0400, Joe Medica gave their opinion about the
                        topic of Re: [pcgen] Re: PCGen code used in DM Assist...
                        >Is it available on the iPhone? That would really rock!
                        >
                        >Joe Medica
                        >570-294-2547

                        I may be wrong, but I think PCGen might be too memory-intensive for
                        such devices.

                        I have floated the idea of using the display part of PCGen to have a
                        stand-alone character viewer, runnable from the website. You could
                        load up a HTML or XML character sheet and it would display it.

                        Also, PCGen does output to PDF, so you just need to transfer your PDF
                        character sheet into the device and then display it using your PDF
                        viewer program of choice.

                        Anestis.

                        --
                        Anestis Kozakis
                        PCGen Webteam Second
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 14, 2011
                          My interest would be viewing character sheets on Android mobile phones or tablets.

                          But beside just visualizing the charakter i also would like to manipulate the data in an ongoing gameing session.

                          Things like:
                          - temp modifiers
                          - wounds
                          - healing
                          - campaign notes
                          - tracking of items / counting
                          - spell book & spell memorization
                          - export/reimport to pcgen

                          That wold be totally awsome and reduce a lot of paper work.

                          Cheers
                          Thorsten