delays dismounting dialogs

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2010
      I have observed PCGen running for some while now, and had occasion to
      watch closely as it mounts and unmounts dialogs.

      It *appears* as though the sequence is something like:

      * start some lengthy process such as "open a PCG"
      * report a problem by mounting a dialog with an OK button
      * process the OK by continuing...
      * ... continuing...
      * ...continuing...
      * dismounting the dialog, possibly when the next dialog is needed.

      Since the Java response can be sluggish even on very fast computers
      (3.2GHZ quad-core Phenom with 4GB memory), this gies the user the
      impression that the mouse-click may have been missed.

      If instead, the dialog was dismissed from the screen immediately the OK
      button message was processed, or similar press-respond-action instead of
      press-action-respond, then the whole system would seem more responsive.

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2010
        Hi Saxum,

        This is being looked at as part of 6.0, the core rules engine will be a good
        deal smarter (which will make the UI more responsive). A subsequent release
        after 6.0 will also focus on performance, so we should start seeing a faster
        PCGen as we advance versions.