Re: [James] Can't load web enhancement

  • swiftbrook8
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
      Is there a work around or a nightly build I can get so that I can check the odd trait behavior? OR, is there going to be a RC4 ?

      -Swiftbrook

      > Flagging the Coder.
      >

      > On 8/5/2010 5:41 PM, swiftbrook8 wrote:
      > > PCGen v. 5.16.3 RC 3
      > >
      > > I was trying to check if the odd behavior with traits I saw before had changed. The new Basic/Advanced Load Sources windows are VERY confusing.
      > >
      > > If I load one of the Pathfinder options from the basic screen, the Pathfinder Trait web enhancement isn't an option to load.
      > >
      > > If I try to load from the advanced screen, it remembers my basic Pathfinder option and won't give me any more options to load.
      > >
      > > It's all very confusing and I'm having lots of trouble getting it to run.
      > >
      > > :-(
      > >
      > > -Swiftbrook
      > >

      > > ------------------------------------
      > >
      > > Related Lists

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
      > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
        Hi Swiftbrook,

        I'm not seeing the behaviour you describe with the basic vs advanced
        advanced screen. The advanced page hasn't changed at all from earlier
        versions of PCGen, which is why I am a bit puzzled by the issue you
        report. You may wish to check you are in the right game mode though. If
        it is still a problem though could you give me a step by step guide to
        reproduce it starting with opening PCGen please? Feel free to send me
        screenshots at this address or via the need help with folder in the
        files section.

        You do bring up an good point though -should we include the character
        traits in the Pathfinder for Players set? What do others think?

        BTW: If you want to create your own set for the basic screen you can.
        Just click add, select the game mode and then select the sources you
        want to have loaded (e.g. Pathfinder core and Character Traits, give it
        a name e.g. James Pathfinder Game) and hit OK.

        Cheers,
        James.

        On 8/08/2010 7:04 AM swiftbrook8 wrote
        > Is there a work around or a nightly build I can get so that I can check the odd trait behavior? OR, is there going to be a RC4 ?
        >
        > -Swiftbrook

        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> Flagging the Coder.
        >>

        >> On 8/5/2010 5:41 PM, swiftbrook8 wrote:
        >>
        >>> PCGen v. 5.16.3 RC 3
        >>>
        >>> I was trying to check if the odd behavior with traits I saw before had changed. The new Basic/Advanced Load Sources windows are VERY confusing.
        >>>
        >>> If I load one of the Pathfinder options from the basic screen, the Pathfinder Trait web enhancement isn't an option to load.
        >>>
        >>> If I try to load from the advanced screen, it remembers my basic Pathfinder option and won't give me any more options to load.
        >>>
        >>> It's all very confusing and I'm having lots of trouble getting it to run.
        >>>
        >>> :-(
        >>>
        >>> -Swiftbrook
      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
          Yes, the traits should be included. Also, perhaps there should be a way
          to include the player's guide (which includes the campaign traits) based
          on which AP the person is playing in.

          David
          Papa.DRB

          Grognard (definition 1)
          My better half and me

          On 8/7/2010 8:18 PM, James Dempsey wrote:
          > Hi Swiftbrook,
          >
          > I'm not seeing the behaviour you describe with the basic vs advanced
          > advanced screen. The advanced page hasn't changed at all from earlier
          > versions of PCGen, which is why I am a bit puzzled by the issue you
          > report. You may wish to check you are in the right game mode though. If
          > it is still a problem though could you give me a step by step guide to
          > reproduce it starting with opening PCGen please? Feel free to send me
          > screenshots at this address or via the need help with folder in the
          > files section.
          >
          > You do bring up an good point though -should we include the character
          > traits in the Pathfinder for Players set? What do others think?
          >
          > BTW: If you want to create your own set for the basic screen you can.
          > Just click add, select the game mode and then select the sources you
          > want to have loaded (e.g. Pathfinder core and Character Traits, give it
          > a name e.g. James Pathfinder Game) and hit OK.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > James.
          >
          > On 8/08/2010 7:04 AM swiftbrook8 wrote
          >
          >> Is there a work around or a nightly build I can get so that I can check the odd trait behavior? OR, is there going to be a RC4 ?
          >>
          >> -Swiftbrook
          >>
          >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@...> wrote:
          >>

          >>> Hi,
          >>>
          >>> Flagging the Coder.

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
            Hi David,

            On 8/08/2010 10:46 AM David R. Bender wrote
            > Yes, the traits should be included.
            Cool, I'm certainly leaning that way.

            > Also, perhaps there should be a way
            > to include the player's guide (which includes the campaign traits) based
            > on which AP the person is playing in.

            For the campaign guides I would recommend creating a new entry as I
            described below. That's what I have done for the Kingmaker game I am
            playing in. If we had entries for each campaign we supported I suspect
            it would be a bit overwhelming :)

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
              The Pathfinder Traits Web Enhancement is not loaded and is not an option to load. I'll Try to send a screenshot. Here's the blow by blow:

              Windows XP SP 3, 1.98 Gb Ram

              1) Uninstalled PC GEN
              2) Restarted computer
              3) Downloaded fresh copy of pcggen5163RC3_win_install.exe
              4) Ran install program with all defaults. Installed with no visible errors. Clicked [Finished]
              5) Ran shortcut from desktop
              6) Preferences were still saved.
              7) Uninstalled PC GEN
              8) Deleted C:\Program Files\PCGen folder and .PCGen folder
              9) Restarted computer
              10) Downloaded fresh copy of pcggen5163RC3_win_install.exe
              11) Ran install program with all defaults. Installed with no visible errors. Clicked [Finished]
              12) Ran shortcut from desktop
              13) Closed Tip of the day
              14) Load Sources window (basic). Chose Pathfinder for gamemasters. [Load]
              15) Closed OGL screen (unchecked box)
              16) Went to Settings  Load Sources  [Use Advanced Screen]
              17) Pathfinder trait web enhancement was not listed as loaded or an option to load.
              18) I unload all the pathfinder data but now when I go to the Advanced Screen it only shows the pathfinder data without the web trait enhancement.

              > Hi Swiftbrook,
              >
              > I'm not seeing the behaviour you describe with the basic vs advanced
              > advanced screen. The advanced page hasn't changed at all from earlier
              > versions of PCGen, which is why I am a bit puzzled by the issue you
              > report. You may wish to check you are in the right game mode though. If
              > it is still a problem though could you give me a step by step guide to
              > reproduce it starting with opening PCGen please? Feel free to send me
              > screenshots at this address or via the need help with folder in the
              > files section.
              >
              > You do bring up an good point though -should we include the character
              > traits in the Pathfinder for Players set? What do others think?
              >
              > BTW: If you want to create your own set for the basic screen you can.
              > Just click add, select the game mode and then select the sources you
              > want to have loaded (e.g. Pathfinder core and Character Traits, give it
              > a name e.g. James Pathfinder Game) and hit OK.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > James.
              >
              > On 8/08/2010 7:04 AM swiftbrook8 wrote
              > > Is there a work around or a nightly build I can get so that I can check the odd trait behavior? OR, is there going to be a RC4 ?
              > >
              > > -Swiftbrook

              > >> Hi,
              > >>
              > >> Flagging the Coder.

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
                Hi,

                Just to confirm then at step 17, you don't see it on the left hand side
                of the screen? I've posted a screen shot of what I see at
                http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/%27Need%20Help%20With%27/PCGen-Advanced-Sources.png

                Cheers,
                James.

                On 8/08/2010 12:46 PM swiftbrook8 wrote

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
                  Hi,

                  Thanks for uploading your screenshot. If you look on the left hand list,
                  2nd from the bottom there is the character traits set. If you either
                  double click on this or click on it and click the > button below the
                  list it will move to the right hand list. Then click load and you will
                  have both the web traits and the core rules.

                  Cheers,
                  James.

                  On 8/08/2010 1:30 PM James Dempsey wrote

                • swiftbrook8
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
                    Heads for corner of room.
                    Put's on dunce cap.
                    Call's ophthalmologist.

                    Slowly raised hand.
                    Teacher, where can I set up traits? I don't have my new glasses yet, but I've looked very carefully and I don't see them under Feats & Abilities or any other tab. (also looked for answer in docs and faq). On Summary tab under 'things to be done', only add gear is listed.

                    Thanks.

                    -slowbrook

                    > Thanks for uploading your screenshot. If you look on the left hand list,
                    > 2nd from the bottom there is the character traits set. If you either
                    > double click on this or click on it and click the > button below the
                    > list it will move to the right hand list. Then click load and you will
                    > have both the web traits and the core rules.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > James.
                    >
                    > On 8/08/2010 1:30 PM James Dempsey wrote
                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > Just to confirm then at step 17, you don't see it on the left hand side
                    > > of the screen? I've posted a screen shot of what I see at
                    > > http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/%27Need%20Help%20With%27/PCGen-Advanced-Sources.png
                    > >
                    > > Cheers,
                    > > James.
                    > >
                    > > On 8/08/2010 12:46 PM swiftbrook8 wrote
                    > >
                    > >> The Pathfinder Traits Web Enhancement is not loaded and is not an option to load. I'll Try to send a screenshot. Here's the blow by blow:
                    > >>
                    > >> Windows XP SP 3, 1.98 Gb Ram
                    > >>
                    > >> 1) Uninstalled PC GEN
                    > >> 2) Restarted computer
                    > >> 3) Downloaded fresh copy of pcggen5163RC3_win_install.exe
                    > >> 4) Ran install program with all defaults. Installed with no visible errors. Clicked [Finished]
                    > >> 5) Ran shortcut from desktop
                    > >> 6) Preferences were still saved.
                    > >> 7) Uninstalled PC GEN
                    > >> 8) Deleted C:\Program Files\PCGen folder and .PCGen folder
                    > >> 9) Restarted computer
                    > >> 10) Downloaded fresh copy of pcggen5163RC3_win_install.exe
                    > >> 11) Ran install program with all defaults. Installed with no visible errors. Clicked [Finished]
                    > >> 12) Ran shortcut from desktop
                    > >> 13) Closed Tip of the day
                    > >> 14) Load Sources window (basic). Chose Pathfinder for gamemasters. [Load]
                    > >> 15) Closed OGL screen (unchecked box)
                    > >> 16) Went to Settings  Load Sources  [Use Advanced Screen]
                    > >> 17) Pathfinder trait web enhancement was not listed as loaded or an option to load.
                    > >> 18) I unload all the pathfinder data but now when I go to the Advanced Screen it only shows the pathfinder data without the web trait enhancement.

                  • James Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
                      Hi,

                      Good to hear you got it loaded.

                      The traits are buried a bit. On the Race > Templates tab, add the
                      "Player Character Traits" template. Then the 'things to be done' list
                      will show that you need to select traits. This can be done on the Feats
                      & Abilities > Traits tab. You could also go straight to the Traits tab
                      and modify the remaining value to be 2 and not worry about the template
                      if you wanted.

                      Cheers,
                      James.

                      On 8/08/2010 8:35 PM swiftbrook8 wrote

                    • swiftbrook8
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
                        Got it. That wasn't the problem. I didn't get the supplement material, including the traits, loaded correctly. Keep hammering and eventually the rock will crack. Now, let's see if I can recreate the original odd behavior :-).

                        Thanks for all your help.

                        -Swiftbrook

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
                          There *has* to be a Better method for this. I'll look into it.
                           --
                          Andrew

                          ________________________________
                          Got it.  That wasn't the problem.  I didn't get the supplement material,
                          including the traits, loaded correctly.  Keep hammering and eventually the rock
                          will crack.  Now, let's see if I can recreate the original odd behavior :-).

                          Thanks for all  your help.

                          -Swiftbrook

                          > Good to hear you got it loaded.
                          >
                          > The traits are buried a bit. On the Race > Templates tab, add the
                          > "Player Character Traits" template. Then the 'things to be done' list
                          > will show that you need to select traits. This can be done on the Feats
                          > & Abilities > Traits tab. You could also go straight to the Traits tab
                          > and modify the remaining value to be 2 and not worry about the template
                          > if you wanted.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > James.
                          >
                          > On 8/08/2010 8:35 PM swiftbrook8 wrote
                          > > Heads for corner of room.
                          > > Put's on dunce cap.
                          > > Call's ophthalmologist.
                          > >
                          > > Slowly raised hand.
                          > > Teacher, where can I set up traits?  I don't have my new glasses yet, but
                          >I've looked very carefully and I don't see them under Feats & Abilities or any
                          >other tab.  (also looked for answer in docs and faq).  On Summary tab under
                          >'things to be done', only add gear is listed.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks.
                          > >
                          > > -slowbrook
                          > >
                          > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > >> Hi,
                          > >>
                          > >> Thanks for uploading your screenshot. If you look on the left hand list,
                          > >> 2nd from the bottom there is the character traits set. If you either
                          > >> double click on this or click on it and click the > button below the
                          > >> list it will move to the right hand list. Then click load and you will
                          > >> have both the web traits and the core rules.
                          > >>
                          > >> Cheers,
                          > >> James.
                          > >>
                          > >> On 8/08/2010 1:30 PM James Dempsey wrote

                          >to load.  I'll Try to send a screenshot.  Here's the blow by blow:

                          >errors.  Clicked [Finished]
                          >errors.  Clicked [Finished]
                          >[Load]
                          >option to load.
                          >Screen it only shows the pathfinder data without the web trait enhancement.

                          >the odd trait behavior?  OR, is there going to be a RC4 ?

                          >changed.  The new Basic/Advanced Load Sources windows are VERY confusing.

                          >Pathfinder Trait web enhancement isn't an option to load.

                          >Pathfinder option and won't give me any more options to load.

                          >run.

                          Related Lists
                          PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                          PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs: