Re: [pcgen] [pathfinder] Sorcerer with Draconic blood

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
      Hi,

      It's working for me. I reviewed the data sets and what was put in the release.

      Under Special Qualities:
      Bloodline Arcana [PFCR, p.75] Whenever you cast a spell with the cold descriptor, that spell
      deals +1 point of damage per die rolled.

      Draconic Bloodline (Silver) [PFCR, p.75] At some point in your family's history, a dragon
      interbred with your bloodline, and now its ancient power flows through your veins.

      I'll send a pdf to show it works.

      For number 2, unless the monkeys are going to take the time to hand code the +1 die in each and
      every spell we support, it's not going to happen. [Read: Lots of work for little return]

      On 8/5/2010 3:26 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
      > PCGen 5.16.3.RC2, Pathfinder core + bestiary etc
      >
      > A Sorcerer with Draconic Bloodline chooses a dragon type (eg Silver),
      > and gains a number of class features, including Bloodline Arcana:
      > "whenever you cast a spell with an energy descriptor which matches your
      > draconic bloodline's energy type, that spell deals +1 damage per die
      > rolled."
      >
      > 1) the Bloodline Arcana is not printed on the Character preview nor on
      > PDF export (csheet_fantasy_std_grey_light.xlst)
      >
      > 2) (less important) the Bloodline Arcana mod is not applied to spells
      > with the [cold] modifier: Ray of Frost and Ice Storm.
      > (We can handle that manually, but it would be much better to have the
      > Arcana printed on the sheet).

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
        Can't you bonus spells with the Cold DESCRIPTOR tag?

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
          Hi,

          In this case, no. You could increase the caster level, but that won't work in all cases; plus, the
          max would still limit you on the higher end. And since all the Damages are not coded the same
          (CASTERLEVEL)d6 or 1d6+(CASTERLEVEL) that wouldn't always work.

          On 8/5/2010 7:45 PM, Paul wrote:
          > Can't you bonus spells with the Cold DESCRIPTOR tag?
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@...> wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> It's working for me. I reviewed the data sets and what was put in the release.
          >>
          >> Under Special Qualities:
          >> Bloodline Arcana [PFCR, p.75] Whenever you cast a spell with the cold descriptor, that spell
          >> deals +1 point of damage per die rolled.
          >>
          >> Draconic Bloodline (Silver) [PFCR, p.75] At some point in your family's history, a dragon
          >> interbred with your bloodline, and now its ancient power flows through your veins.
          >>
          >> I'll send a pdf to show it works.
          >>
          >> For number 2, unless the monkeys are going to take the time to hand code the +1 die in each and
          >> every spell we support, it's not going to happen. [Read: Lots of work for little return]
          >>
          >> On 8/5/2010 3:26 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
          >>> PCGen 5.16.3.RC2, Pathfinder core + bestiary etc
          >>>
          >>> A Sorcerer with Draconic Bloodline chooses a dragon type (eg Silver),
          >>> and gains a number of class features, including Bloodline Arcana:
          >>> "whenever you cast a spell with an energy descriptor which matches your
          >>> draconic bloodline's energy type, that spell deals +1 damage per die
          >>> rolled."
          >>>
          >>> 1) the Bloodline Arcana is not printed on the Character preview nor on
          >>> PDF export (csheet_fantasy_std_grey_light.xlst)
          >>>
          >>> 2) (less important) the Bloodline Arcana mod is not applied to spells
          >>> with the [cold] modifier: Ray of Frost and Ice Storm.
          >>> (We can handle that manually, but it would be much better to have the
          >>> Arcana printed on the sheet).
          >>>
          >> --
          >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
          >> Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        • Saxum Caribetum
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
            On 06/08/2010 04:45, Andrew Maitland wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > In this case, no. You could increase the caster level, but that won't work in all cases; plus, the
            > max would still limit you on the higher end. And since all the Damages are not coded the same
            > (CASTERLEVEL)d6 or 1d6+(CASTERLEVEL) that wouldn't always work.

            the draconic one is +1 per die, so eg the L0 Ray of Frost becomes 1D3+1,
            and Cone Of Cold becomes (caster level)D6 + (caster level).
            Ice Storm is odd: it is a spell with the [cold] descriptor, but the
            damage is 3D6 impact and 2D6 cold. Read literally the draconic bloodline
            arcana adds +5 (the number of dice rolled); read interpretatively it
            might add only +2 (for the cold dice).

            Some spells like Fire Shield can be cast with either the [fire] or
            [cold] descriptor... (!)

            Bit of a coding nightmare? I'm happy enough to see the Arcana printed
            in the sample PDF Andrew mailed me from RC3. Now to get RC3!

            --
            Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
              Yeah, the code would be a major undertaking. I think the description in the
              Ability should suffice for this.

              Let me know if the Character Tab and PDF OS are working for you.
               --
              Andrew

              ________________________________
                On 06/08/2010 04:45, Andrew Maitland wrote:
              >    Hi,
              >
              > In this case, no. You could increase the caster level, but that won't work in
              >all cases; plus, the
              > max would still limit you on the higher end. And since all the Damages are not
              >coded the same
              > (CASTERLEVEL)d6 or 1d6+(CASTERLEVEL) that wouldn't always work.

              the draconic one is +1 per die, so eg the L0 Ray of Frost becomes 1D3+1,
              and Cone Of Cold becomes (caster level)D6 + (caster level).
              Ice Storm is odd: it is a spell with the [cold] descriptor, but the
              damage is 3D6 impact and 2D6 cold. Read literally the draconic bloodline
              arcana adds +5 (the number of dice rolled);  read interpretatively it
              might add only +2 (for the cold dice).

              Some spells like Fire Shield can be cast with either the [fire] or
              [cold] descriptor... (!)

              Bit of a coding nightmare?  I'm happy enough to see the Arcana printed
              in the sample PDF Andrew mailed me from RC3.  Now to get RC3!

              --
              Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
              ArM Code 1.5 5++ Ca++ R++p H++ ?L Y(96) T(5)- SG+++ G++++ P++ HoH(Ma++ Q+ Hg+)
              Fz(E)++ C++ :-) Cd++

              ------------------------------------

              Related Lists
              PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
              PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Saxum Caribetum
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
                On 06/08/2010 22:53, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                > Yeah, the code would be a major undertaking. I think the description in the
                > Ability should suffice for this.
                >
                > Let me know if the Character Tab and PDF OS are working for you.

                yes that Character Tab and PDF OS are fine!

                (Getting driven up the wall 'cos 5.17.x files are not compatible with
                5.16.x, so files I've upgraded to take advantage of early fixes seem to
                be in a right mess.)

                --
                Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
                  Sorry to hear that... We don't have anything to revert files. But I've been in
                  that boat before.

                  Glad the OS and Character Sheet are working for you now though.
                   --
                  Andrew