Can't load web enhancement

  • swiftbrook8
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010
      PCGen v. 5.16.3 RC 3

      I was trying to check if the odd behavior with traits I saw before had changed. The new Basic/Advanced Load Sources windows are VERY confusing.

      If I load one of the Pathfinder options from the basic screen, the Pathfinder Trait web enhancement isn't an option to load.

      If I try to load from the advanced screen, it remembers my basic Pathfinder option and won't give me any more options to load.

      It's all very confusing and I'm having lots of trouble getting it to run.

      :-(

      -Swiftbrook
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 5, 2010

        Flagging the Coder.

        On 8/5/2010 5:41 PM, swiftbrook8 wrote:
        > PCGen v. 5.16.3 RC 3
        >
        > I was trying to check if the odd behavior with traits I saw before had changed. The new Basic/Advanced Load Sources windows are VERY confusing.
        >
        > If I load one of the Pathfinder options from the basic screen, the Pathfinder Trait web enhancement isn't an option to load.
        >
        > If I try to load from the advanced screen, it remembers my basic Pathfinder option and won't give me any more options to load.
        >
        > It's all very confusing and I'm having lots of trouble getting it to run.
        >
        > :-(
        >
        > -Swiftbrook

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      • swiftbrook8
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
          Is there a work around or a nightly build I can get so that I can check the odd trait behavior? OR, is there going to be a RC4 ?

          -Swiftbrook

          > Flagging the Coder.
          >

          > On 8/5/2010 5:41 PM, swiftbrook8 wrote:
          > > PCGen v. 5.16.3 RC 3
          > >
          > > I was trying to check if the odd behavior with traits I saw before had changed. The new Basic/Advanced Load Sources windows are VERY confusing.
          > >
          > > If I load one of the Pathfinder options from the basic screen, the Pathfinder Trait web enhancement isn't an option to load.
          > >
          > > If I try to load from the advanced screen, it remembers my basic Pathfinder option and won't give me any more options to load.
          > >
          > > It's all very confusing and I'm having lots of trouble getting it to run.
          > >
          > > :-(
          > >
          > > -Swiftbrook
          > >

          > > ------------------------------------
          > >
          > > Related Lists

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
          > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
            Hi Swiftbrook,

            I'm not seeing the behaviour you describe with the basic vs advanced
            advanced screen. The advanced page hasn't changed at all from earlier
            versions of PCGen, which is why I am a bit puzzled by the issue you
            report. You may wish to check you are in the right game mode though. If
            it is still a problem though could you give me a step by step guide to
            reproduce it starting with opening PCGen please? Feel free to send me
            screenshots at this address or via the need help with folder in the
            files section.

            You do bring up an good point though -should we include the character
            traits in the Pathfinder for Players set? What do others think?

            BTW: If you want to create your own set for the basic screen you can.
            Just click add, select the game mode and then select the sources you
            want to have loaded (e.g. Pathfinder core and Character Traits, give it
            a name e.g. James Pathfinder Game) and hit OK.

            Cheers,
            James.

            On 8/08/2010 7:04 AM swiftbrook8 wrote
            > Is there a work around or a nightly build I can get so that I can check the odd trait behavior? OR, is there going to be a RC4 ?
            >
            > -Swiftbrook

            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> Flagging the Coder.
            >>

            >> On 8/5/2010 5:41 PM, swiftbrook8 wrote:
            >>
            >>> PCGen v. 5.16.3 RC 3
            >>>
            >>> I was trying to check if the odd behavior with traits I saw before had changed. The new Basic/Advanced Load Sources windows are VERY confusing.
            >>>
            >>> If I load one of the Pathfinder options from the basic screen, the Pathfinder Trait web enhancement isn't an option to load.
            >>>
            >>> If I try to load from the advanced screen, it remembers my basic Pathfinder option and won't give me any more options to load.
            >>>
            >>> It's all very confusing and I'm having lots of trouble getting it to run.
            >>>
            >>> :-(
            >>>
            >>> -Swiftbrook
          • David R. Bender
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
              Yes, the traits should be included. Also, perhaps there should be a way
              to include the player's guide (which includes the campaign traits) based
              on which AP the person is playing in.

              David
              Papa.DRB

              Grognard (definition 1)
              My better half and me

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
                Hi David,

                On 8/08/2010 10:46 AM David R. Bender wrote
                > Yes, the traits should be included.
                Cool, I'm certainly leaning that way.

                > Also, perhaps there should be a way
                > to include the player's guide (which includes the campaign traits) based
                > on which AP the person is playing in.

                For the campaign guides I would recommend creating a new entry as I
                described below. That's what I have done for the Kingmaker game I am
                playing in. If we had entries for each campaign we supported I suspect
                it would be a bit overwhelming :)

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010
                  The Pathfinder Traits Web Enhancement is not loaded and is not an option to load. I'll Try to send a screenshot. Here's the blow by blow:

                  Windows XP SP 3, 1.98 Gb Ram

                  1) Uninstalled PC GEN
                  2) Restarted computer
                  3) Downloaded fresh copy of pcggen5163RC3_win_install.exe
                  4) Ran install program with all defaults. Installed with no visible errors. Clicked [Finished]
                  5) Ran shortcut from desktop
                  6) Preferences were still saved.
                  7) Uninstalled PC GEN
                  8) Deleted C:\Program Files\PCGen folder and .PCGen folder
                  9) Restarted computer
                  10) Downloaded fresh copy of pcggen5163RC3_win_install.exe
                  11) Ran install program with all defaults. Installed with no visible errors. Clicked [Finished]
                  12) Ran shortcut from desktop
                  13) Closed Tip of the day
                  14) Load Sources window (basic). Chose Pathfinder for gamemasters. [Load]
                  15) Closed OGL screen (unchecked box)
                  16) Went to Settings  Load Sources  [Use Advanced Screen]
                  17) Pathfinder trait web enhancement was not listed as loaded or an option to load.
                  18) I unload all the pathfinder data but now when I go to the Advanced Screen it only shows the pathfinder data without the web trait enhancement.

                  > Hi Swiftbrook,
                  >
                  > I'm not seeing the behaviour you describe with the basic vs advanced
                  > advanced screen. The advanced page hasn't changed at all from earlier
                  > versions of PCGen, which is why I am a bit puzzled by the issue you
                  > report. You may wish to check you are in the right game mode though. If
                  > it is still a problem though could you give me a step by step guide to
                  > reproduce it starting with opening PCGen please? Feel free to send me
                  > screenshots at this address or via the need help with folder in the
                  > files section.
                  >
                  > You do bring up an good point though -should we include the character
                  > traits in the Pathfinder for Players set? What do others think?
                  >
                  > BTW: If you want to create your own set for the basic screen you can.
                  > Just click add, select the game mode and then select the sources you
                  > want to have loaded (e.g. Pathfinder core and Character Traits, give it
                  > a name e.g. James Pathfinder Game) and hit OK.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > James.
                  >
                  > On 8/08/2010 7:04 AM swiftbrook8 wrote
                  > > Is there a work around or a nightly build I can get so that I can check the odd trait behavior? OR, is there going to be a RC4 ?
                  > >
                  > > -Swiftbrook

                  > >> Hi,
                  > >>
                  > >> Flagging the Coder.

                • James Dempsey
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010

                    Just to confirm then at step 17, you don't see it on the left hand side
                    of the screen? I've posted a screen shot of what I see at
                    http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/%27Need%20Help%20With%27/PCGen-Advanced-Sources.png

                    Cheers,
                    James.

                    On 8/08/2010 12:46 PM swiftbrook8 wrote

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 7, 2010

                      Thanks for uploading your screenshot. If you look on the left hand list,
                      2nd from the bottom there is the character traits set. If you either
                      double click on this or click on it and click the > button below the
                      list it will move to the right hand list. Then click load and you will
                      have both the web traits and the core rules.

                      Cheers,
                      James.

                      On 8/08/2010 1:30 PM James Dempsey wrote

                    • swiftbrook8
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
                        Heads for corner of room.
                        Put's on dunce cap.
                        Call's ophthalmologist.

                        Slowly raised hand.
                        Teacher, where can I set up traits? I don't have my new glasses yet, but I've looked very carefully and I don't see them under Feats & Abilities or any other tab. (also looked for answer in docs and faq). On Summary tab under 'things to be done', only add gear is listed.

                        Thanks.

                        -slowbrook

                        > Thanks for uploading your screenshot. If you look on the left hand list,
                        > 2nd from the bottom there is the character traits set. If you either
                        > double click on this or click on it and click the > button below the
                        > list it will move to the right hand list. Then click load and you will
                        > have both the web traits and the core rules.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > James.
                        >
                        > On 8/08/2010 1:30 PM James Dempsey wrote
                        > > Hi,
                        > >
                        > > Just to confirm then at step 17, you don't see it on the left hand side
                        > > of the screen? I've posted a screen shot of what I see at
                        > > http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/%27Need%20Help%20With%27/PCGen-Advanced-Sources.png
                        > >
                        > > Cheers,
                        > > James.
                        > >
                        > > On 8/08/2010 12:46 PM swiftbrook8 wrote
                        > >
                        > >> The Pathfinder Traits Web Enhancement is not loaded and is not an option to load. I'll Try to send a screenshot. Here's the blow by blow:
                        > >>
                        > >> Windows XP SP 3, 1.98 Gb Ram
                        > >>
                        > >> 1) Uninstalled PC GEN
                        > >> 2) Restarted computer
                        > >> 3) Downloaded fresh copy of pcggen5163RC3_win_install.exe
                        > >> 4) Ran install program with all defaults. Installed with no visible errors. Clicked [Finished]
                        > >> 5) Ran shortcut from desktop
                        > >> 6) Preferences were still saved.
                        > >> 7) Uninstalled PC GEN
                        > >> 8) Deleted C:\Program Files\PCGen folder and .PCGen folder
                        > >> 9) Restarted computer
                        > >> 10) Downloaded fresh copy of pcggen5163RC3_win_install.exe
                        > >> 11) Ran install program with all defaults. Installed with no visible errors. Clicked [Finished]
                        > >> 12) Ran shortcut from desktop
                        > >> 13) Closed Tip of the day
                        > >> 14) Load Sources window (basic). Chose Pathfinder for gamemasters. [Load]
                        > >> 15) Closed OGL screen (unchecked box)
                        > >> 16) Went to Settings  Load Sources  [Use Advanced Screen]
                        > >> 17) Pathfinder trait web enhancement was not listed as loaded or an option to load.
                        > >> 18) I unload all the pathfinder data but now when I go to the Advanced Screen it only shows the pathfinder data without the web trait enhancement.

                      • James Dempsey
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010

                          Good to hear you got it loaded.

                          The traits are buried a bit. On the Race > Templates tab, add the
                          "Player Character Traits" template. Then the 'things to be done' list
                          will show that you need to select traits. This can be done on the Feats
                          & Abilities > Traits tab. You could also go straight to the Traits tab
                          and modify the remaining value to be 2 and not worry about the template
                          if you wanted.

                          Cheers,
                          James.

                          On 8/08/2010 8:35 PM swiftbrook8 wrote

                        • swiftbrook8
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
                            Got it. That wasn't the problem. I didn't get the supplement material, including the traits, loaded correctly. Keep hammering and eventually the rock will crack. Now, let's see if I can recreate the original odd behavior :-).

                            Thanks for all your help.

                            -Swiftbrook

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
                              There *has* to be a Better method for this. I'll look into it.
                               --
                              Andrew

                              ________________________________
                              Got it.  That wasn't the problem.  I didn't get the supplement material,
                              including the traits, loaded correctly.  Keep hammering and eventually the rock
                              will crack.  Now, let's see if I can recreate the original odd behavior :-).

                              Thanks for all  your help.

                              -Swiftbrook

                              > Good to hear you got it loaded.
                              >
                              > The traits are buried a bit. On the Race > Templates tab, add the
                              > "Player Character Traits" template. Then the 'things to be done' list
                              > will show that you need to select traits. This can be done on the Feats
                              > & Abilities > Traits tab. You could also go straight to the Traits tab
                              > and modify the remaining value to be 2 and not worry about the template
                              > if you wanted.
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > James.
                              >
                              > On 8/08/2010 8:35 PM swiftbrook8 wrote
                              > > Heads for corner of room.
                              > > Put's on dunce cap.
                              > > Call's ophthalmologist.
                              > >
                              > > Slowly raised hand.
                              > > Teacher, where can I set up traits?  I don't have my new glasses yet, but
                              >I've looked very carefully and I don't see them under Feats & Abilities or any
                              >other tab.  (also looked for answer in docs and faq).  On Summary tab under
                              >'things to be done', only add gear is listed.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks.
                              > >
                              > > -slowbrook
                              > >
                              > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > >> Hi,
                              > >>
                              > >> Thanks for uploading your screenshot. If you look on the left hand list,
                              > >> 2nd from the bottom there is the character traits set. If you either
                              > >> double click on this or click on it and click the > button below the
                              > >> list it will move to the right hand list. Then click load and you will
                              > >> have both the web traits and the core rules.
                              > >>
                              > >> Cheers,
                              > >> James.
                              > >>
                              > >> On 8/08/2010 1:30 PM James Dempsey wrote

                              >to load.  I'll Try to send a screenshot.  Here's the blow by blow:

                              >errors.  Clicked [Finished]
                              >errors.  Clicked [Finished]
                              >[Load]
                              >option to load.
                              >Screen it only shows the pathfinder data without the web trait enhancement.

                              >the odd trait behavior?  OR, is there going to be a RC4 ?

                              >changed.  The new Basic/Advanced Load Sources windows are VERY confusing.

                              >Pathfinder Trait web enhancement isn't an option to load.

                              >Pathfinder option and won't give me any more options to load.

                              >run.

                              Related Lists
                              PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                              PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs: