[pathfinder] Sorcerer with Draconic blood

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
      PCGen 5.16.3.RC2, Pathfinder core + bestiary etc

      A Sorcerer with Draconic Bloodline chooses a dragon type (eg Silver),
      and gains a number of class features, including Bloodline Arcana:
      "whenever you cast a spell with an energy descriptor which matches your
      draconic bloodline's energy type, that spell deals +1 damage per die
      rolled."

      1) the Bloodline Arcana is not printed on the Character preview nor on
      PDF export (csheet_fantasy_std_grey_light.xlst)

      2) (less important) the Bloodline Arcana mod is not applied to spells
      with the [cold] modifier: Ray of Frost and Ice Storm.
      (We can handle that manually, but it would be much better to have the
      Arcana printed on the sheet).

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
    • Ainvar G
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
        Inclusion of the Bloodline Arcana was one of the changes that I submitted for
        this last build. I haven't had time to look at RC3, maybe my changes didn't
        make it in yet. If not, they're done and in the pipeline.

        I don't know how to conditionally apply the bonuses, so I didn't try that. I
        was just shooting for the display in the character sheet, which I had working in
        my testing here.

        ________________________________
        PCGen 5.16.3.RC2, Pathfinder core + bestiary etc

        A Sorcerer with Draconic Bloodline chooses a dragon type (eg Silver),
        and gains a number of class features, including Bloodline Arcana:
        "whenever you cast a spell with an energy descriptor which matches your
        draconic bloodline's energy type, that spell deals +1 damage per die
        rolled."

        1) the Bloodline Arcana is not printed on the Character preview nor on
        PDF export (csheet_fantasy_std_grey_light.xlst)

        2) (less important) the Bloodline Arcana mod is not applied to spells
        with the [cold] modifier: Ray of Frost and Ice Storm.
        (We can handle that manually, but it would be much better to have the
        Arcana printed on the sheet).

        --
        Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
        ArM Code 1.5 5++ Ca++ R++p H++ ?L Y(96) T(5)- SG+++ G++++ P++ HoH(Ma++ Q+ Hg+)
        Fz(E)++ C++ :-) Cd++

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010

          It's working for me. I reviewed the data sets and what was put in the release.

          Under Special Qualities:
          Bloodline Arcana [PFCR, p.75] Whenever you cast a spell with the cold descriptor, that spell
          deals +1 point of damage per die rolled.

          Draconic Bloodline (Silver) [PFCR, p.75] At some point in your family's history, a dragon
          interbred with your bloodline, and now its ancient power flows through your veins.

          I'll send a pdf to show it works.

          For number 2, unless the monkeys are going to take the time to hand code the +1 die in each and
          every spell we support, it's not going to happen. [Read: Lots of work for little return]

          On 8/5/2010 3:26 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
          > PCGen 5.16.3.RC2, Pathfinder core + bestiary etc
          >
          > A Sorcerer with Draconic Bloodline chooses a dragon type (eg Silver),
          > and gains a number of class features, including Bloodline Arcana:
          > "whenever you cast a spell with an energy descriptor which matches your
          > draconic bloodline's energy type, that spell deals +1 damage per die
          > rolled."
          >
          > 1) the Bloodline Arcana is not printed on the Character preview nor on
          > PDF export (csheet_fantasy_std_grey_light.xlst)
          >
          > 2) (less important) the Bloodline Arcana mod is not applied to spells
          > with the [cold] modifier: Ray of Frost and Ice Storm.
          > (We can handle that manually, but it would be much better to have the
          > Arcana printed on the sheet).

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010
            Can't you bonus spells with the Cold DESCRIPTOR tag?

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2010

              In this case, no. You could increase the caster level, but that won't work in all cases; plus, the
              max would still limit you on the higher end. And since all the Damages are not coded the same
              (CASTERLEVEL)d6 or 1d6+(CASTERLEVEL) that wouldn't always work.

              On 8/5/2010 7:45 PM, Paul wrote:
              > Can't you bonus spells with the Cold DESCRIPTOR tag?
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@...> wrote:
              >> Hi,
              >>
              >> It's working for me. I reviewed the data sets and what was put in the release.
              >>
              >> Under Special Qualities:
              >> Bloodline Arcana [PFCR, p.75] Whenever you cast a spell with the cold descriptor, that spell
              >> deals +1 point of damage per die rolled.
              >>
              >> Draconic Bloodline (Silver) [PFCR, p.75] At some point in your family's history, a dragon
              >> interbred with your bloodline, and now its ancient power flows through your veins.
              >>
              >> I'll send a pdf to show it works.
              >>
              >> For number 2, unless the monkeys are going to take the time to hand code the +1 die in each and
              >> every spell we support, it's not going to happen. [Read: Lots of work for little return]
              >>
              >> On 8/5/2010 3:26 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
              >>> PCGen 5.16.3.RC2, Pathfinder core + bestiary etc
              >>>
              >>> A Sorcerer with Draconic Bloodline chooses a dragon type (eg Silver),
              >>> and gains a number of class features, including Bloodline Arcana:
              >>> "whenever you cast a spell with an energy descriptor which matches your
              >>> draconic bloodline's energy type, that spell deals +1 damage per die
              >>> rolled."
              >>>
              >>> 1) the Bloodline Arcana is not printed on the Character preview nor on
              >>> PDF export (csheet_fantasy_std_grey_light.xlst)
              >>>
              >>> 2) (less important) the Bloodline Arcana mod is not applied to spells
              >>> with the [cold] modifier: Ray of Frost and Ice Storm.
              >>> (We can handle that manually, but it would be much better to have the
              >>> Arcana printed on the sheet).
              >>>
              >> --
              >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
              >> Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

              > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            • Saxum Caribetum
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
                On 06/08/2010 04:45, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > In this case, no. You could increase the caster level, but that won't work in all cases; plus, the
                > max would still limit you on the higher end. And since all the Damages are not coded the same
                > (CASTERLEVEL)d6 or 1d6+(CASTERLEVEL) that wouldn't always work.

                the draconic one is +1 per die, so eg the L0 Ray of Frost becomes 1D3+1,
                and Cone Of Cold becomes (caster level)D6 + (caster level).
                Ice Storm is odd: it is a spell with the [cold] descriptor, but the
                damage is 3D6 impact and 2D6 cold. Read literally the draconic bloodline
                arcana adds +5 (the number of dice rolled); read interpretatively it
                might add only +2 (for the cold dice).

                Some spells like Fire Shield can be cast with either the [fire] or
                [cold] descriptor... (!)

                Bit of a coding nightmare? I'm happy enough to see the Arcana printed
                in the sample PDF Andrew mailed me from RC3. Now to get RC3!

                --
                Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
                  Yeah, the code would be a major undertaking. I think the description in the
                  Ability should suffice for this.

                  Let me know if the Character Tab and PDF OS are working for you.
                   --
                  Andrew

                  ________________________________
                    On 06/08/2010 04:45, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                  >    Hi,
                  >
                  > In this case, no. You could increase the caster level, but that won't work in
                  >all cases; plus, the
                  > max would still limit you on the higher end. And since all the Damages are not
                  >coded the same
                  > (CASTERLEVEL)d6 or 1d6+(CASTERLEVEL) that wouldn't always work.

                  the draconic one is +1 per die, so eg the L0 Ray of Frost becomes 1D3+1,
                  and Cone Of Cold becomes (caster level)D6 + (caster level).
                  Ice Storm is odd: it is a spell with the [cold] descriptor, but the
                  damage is 3D6 impact and 2D6 cold. Read literally the draconic bloodline
                  arcana adds +5 (the number of dice rolled);  read interpretatively it
                  might add only +2 (for the cold dice).

                  Some spells like Fire Shield can be cast with either the [fire] or
                  [cold] descriptor... (!)

                  Bit of a coding nightmare?  I'm happy enough to see the Arcana printed
                  in the sample PDF Andrew mailed me from RC3.  Now to get RC3!

                  --
                  Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
                  ArM Code 1.5 5++ Ca++ R++p H++ ?L Y(96) T(5)- SG+++ G++++ P++ HoH(Ma++ Q+ Hg+)
                  Fz(E)++ C++ :-) Cd++

                  ------------------------------------

                  Related Lists
                  PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                  PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Saxum Caribetum
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
                    On 06/08/2010 22:53, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                    > Yeah, the code would be a major undertaking. I think the description in the
                    > Ability should suffice for this.
                    >
                    > Let me know if the Character Tab and PDF OS are working for you.

                    yes that Character Tab and PDF OS are fine!

                    (Getting driven up the wall 'cos 5.17.x files are not compatible with
                    5.16.x, so files I've upgraded to take advantage of early fixes seem to
                    be in a right mess.)

                    --
                    Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
                      Sorry to hear that... We don't have anything to revert files. But I've been in
                      that boat before.

                      Glad the OS and Character Sheet are working for you now though.
                       --
                      Andrew