Re: [pcgen] Adding Traits?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2010

      No, you won't be able to use the editor in 5.16.3 to make your own traits. That would require the
      editor to be expanded to create Abilities, something that isn't planned for 5.16.

      To make a Trait by hand, you'll want a decent text editor, a little patience, and you'll want to ask
      any follow up questions on the PCGen List File Help Yahoo Group (Link to it in the footer of this
      post/email)

      Here is a sample trait (Each Line is a Tab Space)

      Anatomist
      KEY:Anatomist_Trait
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:Trait.BasicTrait.CombatTrait
      PREMULT:1,[PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
      Ability,Anatomist_Trait],[!PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,TYPE.CombatTrait]
      DESC:You have studied the workings of anatomy, either as a student at university or as an
      apprentice mortician or necromancer.
      SOURCEPAGE:p.3

      Breaking that down, to make it work for you -

      <Name of Trait>
      TYPE:Trait.BasicTrait.<AddTraitType>
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      DESC:<What you want the ability to say goes here.>

      Your 'AddTraitType' choices are:
      CombatTrait
      FaithTrait
      MagicTrait
      SocialTrait

      The rest just makes it cleaner for us.

      PREMULT:1,[PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,<Trait Name>],[!PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
      Ability,TYPE.<TraitType>]

      This makes it so only that trait type can be selected (No doubling up) and it keeps the trait you
      select from turning red once it is selected.

      Cheers,

      On 7/26/2010 8:01 PM, irkmiller1964 wrote:
      > Hey all,
      >
      > New user. I tried finding the answer on the mailing list, but Yahoo keeps giving me a server busy error for search results...
      >
      > Anyway...Is it possible to add a new trait through the editor? I can't seem to find a selection that allows me to do so. If not, any suggestions on how to add a new trait?

      > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

    • John Bauldree
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2010
        I was wondering how I would code this:

        Situation I have is I created a ranger. A ranger gets an animal companion @ 4th level but only at 1/2 the power of the druid animal companion

        Feat name: new feat name
        Prereq: Animal Companion
        Benefit: add (x) to your Effective Druid level for determining bonus stuff for your animal companion (see Animal companion in the SRD somewhere) this bonus cannot take your effective druid level over your total level.

        Thanks,
        John

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2010

          Our PCGen List File Help Group is back up and running, and this type of question should go over there...

          However, to answer your question: (And this one is tricky cause you've said it can't exceed level,
          plus you don't give the value of x) You can do this a few different methods, the complex math
          equations are not my strong suite. I'll give you instead a 'lazy' first pass and a second more
          thorough but more complex set up one. I've also set this up to go to the list file help group, and
          hopefully the more math savvy folks can come up with an easier solution.

          New Feat
          TYPE:General
          PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Animal Companion
          PRECLASS:1,Ranger=1,Druid=1
          DESC:What you had.
          BONUS:VAR|CompLevel|FeatNameBonus
          DEFINE:FeatNameBonus|0
          BONUS:VAR|FeatNameBonus|x|PREVARLTEQ:CompLevel,TL

          More Complex method - Must edit files manually for this method.

          #Feat File
          New Feat
          TYPE:General
          PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Animal Companion
          PRECLASS:1,Ranger=1,Druid=1
          DESC:What you had.
          BONUS:VAR|CompLevel|FeatNameBonus
          DEFINE:FeatNameBonus|0
          BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Animal Companion Druid Lvl Bonus|1

          #Ability Cat File
          ABILITYCATEGORY:Animal Companion Druid Lvl Bonus
          TYPE:AnimalCompLvlChoice
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          DISPLAYLOCATION:FEAT
          EDITABLE:YES

          # Ability File
          Druid Lvl Bonus +1
          KEY:Druid_1
          TYPE:AnimalCompLvlChoice
          PREVAREQ:CompLevel,TL-1
          BONUS:VAR|CompLevel|1

          Druid Lvl Bonus +2
          KEY:Druid_2
          TYPE:AnimalCompLvlChoice
          PREVAREQ:CompLevel,TL-2
          BONUS:VAR|CompLevel|2

          Druid Lvl Bonus +3
          KEY:Druid_3
          TYPE:AnimalCompLvlChoice
          PREVARLTEQ:CompLevel,TL-3
          BONUS:VAR|CompLevel|3

          rinse and repeat as needed to achieve the proper bonus.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 30, 2010
            Thank you. (x) would be a set number say... 3

            Hi,