Adding Traits?

  • irkmiller1964
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2010
      Hey all,

      New user. I tried finding the answer on the mailing list, but Yahoo keeps giving me a server busy error for search results...

      Anyway...Is it possible to add a new trait through the editor? I can't seem to find a selection that allows me to do so. If not, any suggestions on how to add a new trait?
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2010

        No, you won't be able to use the editor in 5.16.3 to make your own traits. That would require the
        editor to be expanded to create Abilities, something that isn't planned for 5.16.

        To make a Trait by hand, you'll want a decent text editor, a little patience, and you'll want to ask
        any follow up questions on the PCGen List File Help Yahoo Group (Link to it in the footer of this
        post/email)

        Here is a sample trait (Each Line is a Tab Space)

        Anatomist
        KEY:Anatomist_Trait
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:Trait.BasicTrait.CombatTrait
        PREMULT:1,[PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
        Ability,Anatomist_Trait],[!PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,TYPE.CombatTrait]
        DESC:You have studied the workings of anatomy, either as a student at university or as an
        apprentice mortician or necromancer.
        SOURCEPAGE:p.3

        Breaking that down, to make it work for you -

        <Name of Trait>
        TYPE:Trait.BasicTrait.<AddTraitType>
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        DESC:<What you want the ability to say goes here.>

        Your 'AddTraitType' choices are:
        CombatTrait
        FaithTrait
        MagicTrait
        SocialTrait

        The rest just makes it cleaner for us.

        PREMULT:1,[PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,<Trait Name>],[!PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
        Ability,TYPE.<TraitType>]

        This makes it so only that trait type can be selected (No doubling up) and it keeps the trait you
        select from turning red once it is selected.

        Cheers,

        On 7/26/2010 8:01 PM, irkmiller1964 wrote:
        > Hey all,
        >
        > New user. I tried finding the answer on the mailing list, but Yahoo keeps giving me a server busy error for search results...
        >
        > Anyway...Is it possible to add a new trait through the editor? I can't seem to find a selection that allows me to do so. If not, any suggestions on how to add a new trait?

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      • John Bauldree
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2010
          I was wondering how I would code this:

          Situation I have is I created a ranger. A ranger gets an animal companion @ 4th level but only at 1/2 the power of the druid animal companion

          Feat name: new feat name
          Prereq: Animal Companion
          Benefit: add (x) to your Effective Druid level for determining bonus stuff for your animal companion (see Animal companion in the SRD somewhere) this bonus cannot take your effective druid level over your total level.

          Thanks,
          John

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 30, 2010

            Our PCGen List File Help Group is back up and running, and this type of question should go over there...

            However, to answer your question: (And this one is tricky cause you've said it can't exceed level,
            plus you don't give the value of x) You can do this a few different methods, the complex math
            equations are not my strong suite. I'll give you instead a 'lazy' first pass and a second more
            thorough but more complex set up one. I've also set this up to go to the list file help group, and
            hopefully the more math savvy folks can come up with an easier solution.

            New Feat
            TYPE:General
            PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Animal Companion
            PRECLASS:1,Ranger=1,Druid=1
            DESC:What you had.
            BONUS:VAR|CompLevel|FeatNameBonus
            DEFINE:FeatNameBonus|0
            BONUS:VAR|FeatNameBonus|x|PREVARLTEQ:CompLevel,TL

            More Complex method - Must edit files manually for this method.

            #Feat File
            New Feat
            TYPE:General
            PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Animal Companion
            PRECLASS:1,Ranger=1,Druid=1
            DESC:What you had.
            BONUS:VAR|CompLevel|FeatNameBonus
            DEFINE:FeatNameBonus|0
            BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Animal Companion Druid Lvl Bonus|1

            #Ability Cat File
            ABILITYCATEGORY:Animal Companion Druid Lvl Bonus
            TYPE:AnimalCompLvlChoice
            CATEGORY:Special Ability
            DISPLAYLOCATION:FEAT
            EDITABLE:YES

            # Ability File
            Druid Lvl Bonus +1
            KEY:Druid_1
            TYPE:AnimalCompLvlChoice
            PREVAREQ:CompLevel,TL-1
            BONUS:VAR|CompLevel|1

            Druid Lvl Bonus +2
            KEY:Druid_2
            TYPE:AnimalCompLvlChoice
            PREVAREQ:CompLevel,TL-2
            BONUS:VAR|CompLevel|2

            Druid Lvl Bonus +3
            KEY:Druid_3
            TYPE:AnimalCompLvlChoice
            PREVARLTEQ:CompLevel,TL-3
            BONUS:VAR|CompLevel|3

            rinse and repeat as needed to achieve the proper bonus.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 30, 2010
              Thank you. (x) would be a set number say... 3

              Hi,