Fwd: [pcgen_experimental] Need Approval of SORTKEY

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2010
      Hi, I'm restarting this thread from Experimental -

      Hi,

      http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/NEWTAG-5?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel

      Need content input. James is ready to implement.

      -
      BUMP - James has the code ready to go - CHIMPs and LST monkeys, please
      voice your concerns or approval now.

      Thanks

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      ---

      Hi Folks!

      Where can I find the original discussion on this topic? I'm not sure
      what is really intended with this tag.

      How would we apply it to the PCGen sets?

      Maredudd

      ---

      Eric,

      http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/NEWTAG-5

      This would allow us to sort the abilities [I'm not sure if James has Equipment and the rest ready
      yet] and feats in any fashion we want. This is beneficial for me fulfilling a request from one of
      the Publishers so the Master Ability is followed by the Sub Abilities.

      Currently this is being hacked by using the Name as so:

      Master
      Master / Sub
      Master / Sub2
      Other Master
      Other Master / Sub

      With Sort Key we could just as easily do

      Master
      Sub
      Sub2
      Other Master
      Sub

      Here is the Proposal from the tracker:
      Summary of Proposal:
      A new Method to Sort items (abilities, equip, etc.) in an order instead of the NAME or OUTPUTNAME
      using the Alphabetical method

      Add a new text value - SORTKEY

      SORTKEY:x

      x = Text or Numerical Value

      Sorts in the order of 0-9, A-Z

      When sorting lists of objects, PCGen would use, SORTKEY, OUTPUTNAME or Name in that order to
      determine what to sort on and then it would order by the values, being a text field you can do
      whatever fancy grouping you like without pcgen having to interpret it.

      Example of Usage
      Enlarge Spell<> SORTKEY:Metamagic~Enlarge Spell
      Quicken Spell<> SORTKEY:11-MetaMagic~Quicken Spell
      Early Feat<> SORTKEY:Z-Me last

      Would Display as
      Quicken Spell
      Enlarge Spell
      Early Feat

      Order of Operation - SORTKEY, OUTPUTNAME, NAME

      Tom's only concern at this time was:
      Need to reconcile this with i18n strategy as well as determine if this is one New Feature or if this
      is a task that encompasses many New Feature items across the different object types