Pathfinder Questions & Bug reports?

  • Matthew
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 5, 2010
      This may have already been asked, I did try to search, but every term I searched on brought back about a thousand messages and after wading though a hundred or so on each subject and not finding what I was looking for, I finally gave up and just posted. Sorry if this is repeated stuff I just missed.

      1) I downloaded the latest/greatest PCGEN and Pathfinder Files. Copied the pathfinder files to my DATA directory. Works fine except that the Pathfinder Files don't show the Beastiary, just the bonus beastiary. The Beastiary appears to be under the core rules in a subdirectory, but it doesn't show up in the loaded data list, and the races in it don't show up in my races tab (IE: Drow, Duerger, Dragons, etc). I tried copy/pasting the directory to the same level as the core books, but that didn't help either. It's also not listed in my loadable books.

      2) Is there a way to add the 3.5 Paizo books as loadable under the PFRPG? There are traits in them I'd like to add in.

      3) I tried to do some custom campaign stuff and started using the LST editor. Copied a Monk because I have a class that's a cross between a Monk a Bard and a Rogue. The copied Monk LEVELS would not delete. Well, they did, but after saving and reloading, the levels were back. Bug? Or did I do something wrong? I tried to find documentation on how to use the LST editor to make a class, but there wasn't anything on the website, races yes, skills yes, etc, no class documentation.

      4) I tried adding a custom skill from my campaign, and that worked just fine. But... I don't know where it's storing it! It's not in custom sources or my_dataset. I did a search for the skill name on all files in the PCGEN directory, but nothing! Not sure what I did wrong here. It keeps showing up, but no idea where it's being stored (so I can't send the custom skill to my players).
    • Ainvar G
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 5, 2010
        Hey, Matthew -- I think this post from a while back might help for some of your questions.

        http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Pathfinder_Bestiary_Data_Set_Released_to_PCGen_Users

        Sorry, not sure where the LST editor stores the files, but the latest release (5.16.3 RC1) includes fixes for the LST editors, so it might be worth checking out if you haven't already (not sure if your "latest and greatest" is 5.16.2, 5.16.3 RC1, or 5.17.1).

        Hope there's something of use there.

        AinvarG

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 5, 2010
          Yes, if you download the 5.16.3rc1 everything has been incorporated into that release for Pathfinder so far.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
            Ok,
            Installing 5.16.3 RC1 fixed the issue with the beastiary not showing up, so it appears the zip file that's listed for download for Pathfinder has the beastiary broken.

            1) BUG : Open List Editor, select class. Copy an existing class (MONK is the one I used). Go to LEVELS tab. Delete existing levels, create new levels. SAVE. Close class, go back to levels tab. The deleted levels will still be present if they were level 1 or higher and DEFINE or BONUS levels. So copy class is borked.

            2) BUG? : List editor for Class has Weapons but not Armor when defining it. So no way to specify what armor proficiencies a class has. Should I just edit the file instead? I had read on here that editing the file was no longer the correct method, that the list editor should be used instead.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
              Actually, the Pathfinder dataset for 5.16.2 does not include the Bestiary, which is a separate dataset all its own. Glad you were able to get the content you were looking for. Afraid I can't speak to the LST Editor other than to say I know it's on the short list to get some serious attention, but I understand there's a lot that has to happen before the changes can be made to the editor.

              Not sure where you saw that editing the lst file was no longer supported. That's been the standard recommendation pretty much since forever. However, it is not recommended that you edit the actual character file (.pcg) as that could break the character pretty easily.

              My suggestion: make a custom dataset and copy the text of the monk class into it, make your changes there, and go from there. At least until the LST Editor has gone through another revision or so.

              As always, if you have questions or issues designing your custom content, there's plenty of folks here willing to help. The "correct" place to send such queries is usually PCGenListFileHelp group, but since it's AWOL, this forum is the place to go for now. Please describe your requests in generic terms like, "I want a monk variant that is the same until level 5 where he gains the ability to do X. How do I enter X in the content?"

              AinvarG

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
                Hi Folks,

                Please download the 5.16.3RC1 - It has all the relevant pathfinder core books plus all the newest additions the team has been working on. It also has several LST Editor fixes.

                 --
                Andrew

                ________________________________

                Installing 5.16.3 RC1 fixed the issue with the beastiary not showing up, so it appears the zip file that's listed for download for Pathfinder has the beastiary broken.

                1) BUG : Open List Editor, select class.  Copy an existing class (MONK is the one I used).  Go to LEVELS tab.  Delete existing levels, create new levels.  SAVE.  Close class, go back to levels tab.  The deleted levels will still be present if they were level 1 or higher and DEFINE or BONUS levels.  So copy class is borked.

                2) BUG? : List editor for Class has Weapons but not Armor when defining it.  So no way to specify what armor proficiencies a class has.  Should I just edit the file instead?  I had read on here that editing the file was no longer the correct method, that the list editor should be used instead.

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:

                > Yes, if you download the 5.16.3rc1 everything has been incorporated into that release for Pathfinder so far.
                >
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Ainvar G <ainvarg@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey, Matthew -- I think this post from a while back might help for some of your questions.
                > >

                > > http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Pathfinder_Bestiary_Data_Set_Released_to_PCGen_Users
                > >
                > > Sorry, not sure where the LST editor stores the files, but the latest release (5.16.3 RC1) includes fixes for the LST editors, so it might be worth checking out if you haven't already (not sure if your "latest and greatest" is 5.16.2, 5.16.3 RC1, or 5.17.1).
                > >
                > > Hope there's something of use there.
                > >
                > > AinvarG
                > >

                > > ________________________________

                ------------------------------------

                Related Lists
                PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Matthew
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
                  Already done (See below).

                  There are still major bugs in the LST editor. However, as I understand it's known and there are major rewrites to be done on it in the near future, I won't bother posting the bugs (unless you want me to).

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Ainvar G <ainvarg@...> wrote:

                    > Actually, the Pathfinder dataset for 5.16.2 does not include the Bestiary, which is a separate dataset all its own. Glad you were able to get the content you were looking for. Afraid I can't speak to the LST Editor other than to say I know it's on the short list to get some serious attention, but I understand there's a lot that has to happen before the changes can be made to the editor.

                    Actually, it's in the download, the configuration to get it to load is just borked. it's in a subdirectory of the rpg core in the download for 5.16.2

                    > Not sure where you saw that editing the lst file was no longer supported. That's been the standard recommendation pretty much since forever. However, it is not recommended that you edit the actual character file (.pcg) as that could break the character pretty easily.

                    I got it from the customclass.lst file itself

                    #
                    #This file auto-generated by PCGen. Do not edit manually.
                    #

                    > My suggestion: make a custom dataset and copy the text of the monk class into it, make your changes there, and go from there. At least until the LST Editor has gone through another revision or so.

                    That's what I'll do.

                    > As always, if you have questions or issues designing your custom content, there's plenty of folks here willing to help. The "correct" place to send such queries is usually PCGenListFileHelp group, but since it's AWOL, this forum is the place to go for now. Please describe your requests in generic terms like, "I want a monk variant that is the same until level 5 where he gains the ability to do X. How do I enter X in the content?"

                    How'd a whole group go AWOL? Oh well. :) I'll do that, thanks. I'll be back with questions once I copy/paste the Monk in manually.
                  • Ainvar G
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
                      I would have to check, but I believe the bestiary content that is in the Pathfinder dataset for 5.16.2 is not _the_ Bestiary. It is content necessary for the core rules. The Bestiary is a separate download. It's moot -- you have the content in hand already.

                      The message in the customerclass.lst file is specific to that file, it doesn't necessarily apply to the other .lst files in the system. If I'm not mistaken, that file is related to the LST Editor and your changes would be lost the next time you saved anything in the Editor. I'm far from certain of that. But I know that the other .lst files in the system are fair game -- I would not make changes to the files included with the software, but you can create your custom data to run alongside easily enough. (I would suggest copying the my_dataset folder to a new and unique folder name to avoid future accidental overwrites of your custom data. I just use my name most of the time.)

                      As for the AWOL group, they're still trying to find out what happened, but a couple of the groups we use just disappeared overnight a day or two ago. I have messages from the groups early in the evening prior and then see messages from other folks that the groups no longer exist about 12 hours later. I haven't heard what happened yet, but I'm sure the updates will be posted here.

                      Good luck!

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
                        Hi Matthew,

                        Please report all bugs as one of the Coders is actively fixing any and all reported bugs at this time.

                        One of us will get around to getting trackers to each of these bugs, or you may feel free to do so yourself with our tracker system at jira.pcgen.org.

                        Thanks,

                        p.s. busy paramedic at work right now.
                         --
                        Andrew

                        ________________________________
                        There are still major bugs in the LST editor.  However, as I understand it's known and there are major rewrites to be done on it in the near future, I won't bother posting the bugs (unless you want me to).

                        > Hi Folks,
                        >
                        > Please download the 5.16.3RC1 - It has all the relevant pathfinder core books plus all the newest additions the team has been working on. It also has several LST Editor fixes.
                        >

                        >  --
                        > Andrew
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Eric C Smith
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 6, 2010
                          Hi Folks!

                          Ainvar G wrote:
                          > I would have to check, but I believe the bestiary content that is in
                          > the Pathfinder dataset for 5.16.2 is not _the_ Bestiary. It is
                          > content necessary for the core rules. The Bestiary is a separate
                          > download. It's moot -- you have the content in hand already.

                          The Bestiary folder under the core rules does include data from the
                          bestiary set but is included under the core because it allows the use
                          of that data without loading the Bestiary. Eddy or Stefan could
                          explain that better.

                          As stated several times before, 5.16.2 did not have the Bestiary files
                          included and required the use of the Data Install feature, under the
                          Tools menu. When doing this, you DO NOT unzip the Bestiary Install
                          file. (The browser's tendency to unzip the install file has been fixed
                          by giving the install files a new extension.)

                          Of course, all of this is irrelevant with the release of 5.16.3 RC1.
                          The Bestiary, and a large number of other files, have been
                          incorporated into the distribution.

                          > The message in the customerclass.lst file is specific to that file,
                          > it doesn't necessarily apply to the other .lst files in the system.
                          > If I'm not mistaken, that file is related to the LST Editor and your
                          > changes would be lost the next time you saved anything in the
                          > Editor. I'm far from certain of that.

                          Ainvar is right here. We do not recommend editing the customsources
                          files because they are written by the built-in LST Editor. If you
                          write LST code that doesn't work with the LST Editor's logic, the next
                          time you load the LST Editor it will fix the objects by removing them.
                          Or at least that has been my experience. There are some fixes being
                          looked at for the current LST Editors but there are plans for doing a
                          complete overhaul of the LST Editors for PCGen 6.0.

                          Additionally, editing the LST files distributed with PCGen is not
                          generally recommended. What we mean when we talk about creating your
                          own LST objects, without using the built-in LST Editors, is to create
                          your own LST files, using the my_dataset folder. If you take a look at
                          the files in that folder you will see find a basic set of examples
                          that you can use to get started. We also have the LST File Classes in
                          the Docs that cover some of the more common LST files, and there are
                          several classes in the que to be added.

                          ~ Eric C Smith (Maredudd)
                          ~ Documentation 2nd, Data Gibbon
                          ~ PL Chimp, OGL Gibbon
                          ~ Tracker Gibbon, Website Tamarin
                          ~ Tenacious Monkey
                          ~ Face melioram personam
                          > ________________________________

                        • James Dempsey
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 11, 2010
                            Hi Matthew,

                            Thanks for the bug reports.

                            On 7/07/2010 1:23 AM Matthew wrote
                            > Ok,
                            > Installing 5.16.3 RC1 fixed the issue with the beastiary not showing up, so it appears the zip file that's listed for download for Pathfinder has the beastiary broken.
                            >
                            > 1) BUG : Open List Editor, select class. Copy an existing class (MONK is the one I used). Go to LEVELS tab. Delete existing levels, create new levels. SAVE. Close class, go back to levels tab. The deleted levels will still be present if they were level 1 or higher and DEFINE or BONUS levels. So copy class is borked.

                            This has been registered as CODE-167
                            http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-167 "Classes Editor - Removed level
                            entries are persisted" and has been fixed for the upcoming release
                            candidate.

                            > 2) BUG? : List editor for Class has Weapons but not Armor when defining it. So no way to specify what armor proficiencies a class has. Should I just edit the file instead? I had read on here that editing the file was no longer the correct method, that the list editor should be used instead.

                            This one is a new feature request. We'll make sure it is included in the
                            rewrite of the LST editors currently scheduled for the 6.0 release. In
                            the meantime just edit the file, but make sure PCGen has been shut-down
                            first and that you make backups in case something goes awry. I've added
                            a shortened version of this info to the top of the custom files.

                            Cheers,
                            James.
                          • Matthew
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 11, 2010
                              Wow,
                              Better turn around than the company I work for. Our engineers try to respond 'It's working as designed' to every bug report. ;)