From the Chair Monkey - Status of PCGenListFileHelp and pcgen_experimental groups

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2010
      Hi all,

      As some of you have reported, the PCGenListFileHelp and
      pcgen_experimental Y! groups have disappeared off the face of the
      earth. At this stage the BoD is treating this as a malicious attack
      and therefore are:

      * Backing up important files from the other Y! groups we run onto a
      secure 3rd party location

      * Raised a couple of urgent helpdesk calls with Y! (realistically
      we're small fry though, not sure of the response time here)

      We hope this is just a Y! glitch or an accidental delete by the
      original group owner, but until then we advise anyone who has files in
      our Files section to make sure they have a backup copy.

      More news when we get it.

      Karianna
      Chair Monkey - BoD
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2010
        Oh and any questions that normally would go to experimental or
        listfilehelp, please post here for now!

        On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Martijn Verburg
        <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > As some of you have reported, the PCGenListFileHelp and
        > pcgen_experimental Y! groups have disappeared off the face of the
        > earth.  At this stage the BoD is treating this as a malicious attack
        > and therefore are:
        >
        > * Backing up important files from the other Y! groups we run onto a
        > secure 3rd party location
        >
        > * Raised a couple of urgent helpdesk calls with Y! (realistically
        > we're small fry though, not sure of the response time here)
        >
        > We hope this is just a Y! glitch or an accidental delete by the
        > original group owner, but until then we advise anyone who has files in
        > our Files section to make sure they have a backup copy.
        >
        > More news when we get it.
        >
        > Karianna
        > Chair Monkey - BoD

      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2010
          Hi all,

          As you may have seen earlier from Andrew after some excellant work by
          several members of the BoD, these groups are restored.

          A side benefit is that this has forced us to think about robust backup
          strategies for all of the services we provide the community.

          Thanks all for your patience!

          On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Martijn Verburg
          <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
          > Oh and any questions that normally would go to experimental or
          > listfilehelp, please post here for now!

          > On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Martijn Verburg
          > <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
          >> Hi all,
          >>
          >> As some of you have reported, the PCGenListFileHelp and
          >> pcgen_experimental Y! groups have disappeared off the face of the
          >> earth.  At this stage the BoD is treating this as a malicious attack
          >> and therefore are:
          >>
          >> * Backing up important files from the other Y! groups we run onto a
          >> secure 3rd party location
          >>
          >> * Raised a couple of urgent helpdesk calls with Y! (realistically
          >> we're small fry though, not sure of the response time here)
          >>
          >> We hope this is just a Y! glitch or an accidental delete by the
          >> original group owner, but until then we advise anyone who has files in
          >> our Files section to make sure they have a backup copy.
          >>
          >> More news when we get it.
          >>
          >> Karianna
          >> Chair Monkey - BoD

        • Susan Dittmar
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2010
            > Thanks all for your patience!

            A lot of thanks to those who made it work again -- and in general to all
            who make the lists such a valuable thing!

            Susan