Just tried out PCGen w/ Pathfinder

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
      I downloaded PCGen 5.16.2 this week, loaded the Pathfinder data and tried creating an NPC. I reported some difficulties I had on one of the Paizo messageboards, and between David Bender and Stefan Radermacher's replies via email, that's all been sorted out.

      My next few questions:

      * CMB/CMD do not print out on the character sheet, though Use CMB is selected in Preferences?

      * Clerical domains print on the character sheet, but not granted powers?

      * How would I go about including 3pp magic items to the datasets I use? The list editor doesn't seem to allow that.

      Thanks!
    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
        CMB/CMD - It is on the Standard & compact sheets Don't know about the
        others.

        Clerical Domains - Well, they do, but not as a granted power that some
        of the sheets show. They show up as "Special Qualities" at the
        appropriate level.

        3PP magic items - If they are "standard" in that they can be built, ie.
        long sword +2, holy, keen. Then you can go to the equipment tab, right
        click on long sword and it pops up a create special item. If they are
        something else, try downloading 5.16.3 RC1 as some work has been done on
        the list editors (a really sad area currently) and that may help. If
        not, folks can help you code them for your own data files over on the
        pcgenlistfilehelp Yahoo group.

        David
        Papa.DRB

        Grognard (definition 1)
        My better half and me

        On 7/3/2010 7:29 PM, Michael wrote:
        > I downloaded PCGen 5.16.2 this week, loaded the Pathfinder data and tried creating an NPC. I reported some difficulties I had on one of the Paizo messageboards, and between David Bender and Stefan Radermacher's replies via email, that's all been sorted out.
        >
        > My next few questions:
        >
        > * CMB/CMD do not print out on the character sheet, though Use CMB is selected in Preferences?
        >
        > * Clerical domains print on the character sheet, but not granted powers?
        >
        > * How would I go about including 3pp magic items to the datasets I use? The list editor doesn't seem to allow that.
        >
        > Thanks!

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • Peni or Damon Griffin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
          CMB/CMD - It is on the Standard & compact sheets Don't know about the
          others.

          Okay, I'll experiment with different sheets.

          Clerical Domains - Well, they do, but not as a granted power that some
          of the sheets show. They show up as "Special Qualities" at the
          appropriate level.

          Aha! Or under Special Attacks in the case of the first power granted by
          the Sun domain.

          3PP magic items - If they are "standard" in that they can be built, ie.
          long sword +2, holy, keen. Then you can go to the equipment tab, right
          click on long sword and it pops up a create special item.

          I was thinking of Wondrous Items along the lines of Loot 4 Less -- nothing
          too weird but things you wouldn't build with point-and-click properties.

          Damon

        • Ainvar G
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2010
            I'm not positive what the status is, but I believe a request has been submitted to see if the publisher would be willing to let us include datasets from "Loot 4 Less" products. Even if they do not, creating a custom dataset with the items that interest you (if not all of them) is very do-able. If you decide to take a crack at it, look at the similar datasets already included with the PCGen install and bring your questions to the PCGenListHelp (address found toward the bottom of this post).

            I'm not an expert data monkey, but I've been able to do a lot of the materials from those books, so I'm pretty confident you can manage it if you want to. Just drop us a line if you get stuck. There's several people frequenting that list just to help folks out.

            Good luck!

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2010
              I'm not positive what the status is, but I believe a request has been
              submitted to see if the publisher would be willing to let us include
              datasets from "Loot 4 Less" products. Even if they do not, creating a custom
              dataset with the items that interest you (if not all of them) is very
              do-able. If you decide to take a crack at it, look at the similar datasets
              already included with the PCGen install and bring your questions to the
              PCGenListHelp (address found toward the bottom of this post).

              Yes, for now I was only interested in adding a few specific items as a
              custom dataset, rather than wholesale incorporation of the whole Loot 4 Less
              series or any other 3pp product. I'll take a look at the ones already
              included and see what I can suss out from them.

              Damon

            • Ainvar G
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5, 2010
                Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing how it turns out for you. You might have noticed the announcement that the group I pointed you toward is having some sort of difficulty, so if you have questions or seek advice in your LST efforts, this has become the group to use until that group comes back online.

                You can contact me directly, also, but I'm not the expert that many of these folks are.

                If you do post your questions on the list, please avoid specific information about the publisher's content. That is, use generic terms like "I'm wanting to create a dagger that provides a +2 sacred bonus to Stealth checks," rather than posting the full text from the book or even "I need to create a Dagger of Olidammara". The first one (full text) is disrespectful of the publisher's copyright and against policy for the list; the second (naming the item) is not so much disrespectful, but it assumes the reader has the same source as you and requires them to go look up what exactly would need to be done to create the item you have in mind. The more work they have to do to help you, the less likely you will get the help in as timely a manner. (For the record, I have no idea if that item really exists, I made it up as I was typing this.)