PCGen 5.16.1 to 5.16.2 incompatibility

  • Allen C
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
      Hi folks,

      I'm having trouble loading a character. When I try to load it using 5.16.2 I get two error boxes popping up in sequence:

      1. "Could not load partyFile."
      2. "Unrecoverable problems occurred while loading character."

      Then PCGen hangs.

      Luckily I still had a copy of 5.16.1 on my PC which loads the character without problem. (I've tried resaving the PC on 5.16.1 then trying with 5.16.2 again, but no joy.)

      Any thoughts on how to fix this?

      FYI, the character has been around for a while and was originally created on much earlier version of PCGen.

      Thanks,
      Allen
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
        Hi Allen,

        Can you send me a copy of the pcg file in question so I can review it?

        On 7/1/2010 4:22 PM, Allen C wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I'm having trouble loading a character. When I try to load it using 5.16.2 I get two error boxes popping up in sequence:
        >
        > 1. "Could not load partyFile."
        > 2. "Unrecoverable problems occurred while loading character."
        >
        > Then PCGen hangs.
        >
        > Luckily I still had a copy of 5.16.1 on my PC which loads the character without problem. (I've tried resaving the PC on 5.16.1 then trying with 5.16.2 again, but no joy.)
        >
        > Any thoughts on how to fix this?
        >
        > FYI, the character has been around for a while and was originally created on much earlier version of PCGen.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Allen

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      • Allen C
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
          Hi, Andrew,

          Did my file successfully make its way to you? I tried to send it via email.

          Allen

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
            Hi Allen,

            Yes, it loads in 5.16.3RC1 and 5.17.4-dev.

            There are two trackers that I created because of it; both of which have already been fixed. James
            took used your pcg file to do those fixes.

            It was most helpful, and you just insured that people who would have encountered the same issue,
            won't. :)

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
              Glad to be of help...

              But I just loaded 5.16.3RC1 and it didn't load there either.

              Any thoughts? Is the remaining error User Error?

              Allen

              > Hi Allen,
              >
              > Yes, it loads in 5.16.3RC1 and 5.17.4-dev.
              >
              > There are two trackers that I created because of it; both of which have already been fixed. James
              > took used your pcg file to do those fixes.
              >
              > It was most helpful, and you just insured that people who would have encountered the same issue,
              > won't. :)

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
                Hi Allen,

                The fixes were made after 5.16.3 RC1 was released, but nether of those
                should have stopped the load. What we couldn't reproduce was how your
                custom sources affected the load. To trace what it is going on, open the
                debug console (no need to change logging level) and post what comes out
                there. If it is really long, just send it to Andrew and I directly or
                upload it as a file.

                Cheers,
                James.

                On 3/07/2010 8:15 AM Allen C wrote
                > Glad to be of help...
                >
                > But I just loaded 5.16.3RC1 and it didn't load there either.
                >
                > Any thoughts? Is the remaining error User Error?
                >
                > Allen

                >> Hi Allen,
                >>
                >> Yes, it loads in 5.16.3RC1 and 5.17.4-dev.
                >>
                >> There are two trackers that I created because of it; both of which have already been fixed. James
                >> took used your pcg file to do those fixes.
                >>
                >> It was most helpful, and you just insured that people who would have encountered the same issue,
                >> won't. :)

              • Allen C
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
                  Hi James,

                  It's Greek to me...or rather Java:

                  This is from 5.16.3RC1.

                  Allen

                  -- listing properties --
                  java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
                  sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
                  java.vm.version=16.3-b01
                  java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                  java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
                  path.separator=;
                  java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
                  file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
                  java.util.logging.config.file=C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGen5163RC1\l...
                  user.country=US
                  sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
                  sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 3
                  java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
                  user.dir=C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGen5163RC1
                  java.runtime.version=1.6.0_20-b02
                  java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
                  java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed
                  os.arch=x86
                  java.io.tmpdir=C:\DOCUME~1\Allen\LOCALS~1\Temp\
                  line.separator=

                  java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                  user.variant=
                  os.name=Windows XP
                  sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
                  java.library.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin;.;C:\W...
                  java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
                  java.class.version=50.0
                  sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
                  os.version=5.1
                  user.home=C:\Documents and Settings\Allen
                  user.timezone=America/Los_Angeles
                  java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
                  file.encoding=Cp1252
                  java.specification.version=1.6
                  user.name=Allen
                  java.class.path=C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGen5163RC1\p...
                  java.vm.specification.version=1.0
                  sun.arch.data.model=32
                  java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
                  java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                  user.language=en
                  awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
                  java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
                  java.version=1.6.0_20
                  java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext;C:...
                  sun.boot.class.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\resour...
                  java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                  file.separator=\
                  java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
                  sun.cpu.endian=little
                  sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
                  sun.desktop=windows
                  sun.cpu.isalist=pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+m...
                  Memory: 211,372Kb total, 97,192.062Kb free, 506,816Kb max.
                  SEVERE pcgen.core.party.Party Error loading party partyFile.
                  java.lang.NullPointerException
                  at pcgen.core.Globals.getSpellsIn(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.core.PCClass.calculateKnownSpellsForClassLevel(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.core.PCClass.setLevel(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.io.PCGIOHandler.sanityChecks(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.io.PCGIOHandler.read(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.io.IOHandler.internalRead(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.io.IOHandler.read(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.core.party.Party.loadPCFromFile(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.core.party.Party.loadCharacterFiles(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.core.party.Party.load(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.loadPCFromFile(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1.loadPCFromFile(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.gui.PCGenMenuBar$1.openRecentPerformed(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.gui.utils.JOpenRecentMenu$OpenRecentActionListener.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
                  at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
                  at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
                  at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
                  at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
                  at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
                  at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
                  at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

                  SEVERE pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1 Error in loadPCFromFile
                • James Dempsey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
                    Hi Allen.

                    On 3/07/2010 12:33 PM Allen C wrote
                    > Hi James,
                    >
                    > It's Greek to me...or rather Java:
                    >
                    > This is from 5.16.3RC1.

                    Excellent - that narrows it down to a problem with a spell, most likely
                    that there is a spell that is not loading properly when you load your
                    custom sources. When you do the load there is a window that pops up
                    showing the progress and any errors encountered. Do you see anything in
                    that window?

                    Cheers,
                    James.
                  • Allen C
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
                      No, it's loading clean. But that's not to say there might be some problem with my file...

                      I do have lots of custom spells. One of them did make the whole system crash...that took forever to isolate the one trouble maker. I commented it out and now it loads clean. (Never could figure that one out).

                      Should I migrate this querry to the LST file support group?

                      Many thanks,
                      Allen

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010

                        Send the problem file my way, a good sweep of prettyLst aught to find the trouble maker easy enough.