Re: [pcgen] Increasing memory

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 29, 2010
      On 29/06/2010 08:27, Martijn Verburg wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > actually, I am also intrigued by the possible range of answers, as the
      >> numbers suggested for running PCGen date back into history ... ranges of
      >> 64MB to 256MB ... I am running Windows 64-bit, with 4GB, and likely will
      >> upgrade to 8GB at some point (it makes avoids paging when loading silly
      >> numbers of very large multi-layer raster images into Photoshop...)
      >>
      >> So ... what happens if you let PCGen use, say, 2GB ... does it build up
      >> 2GB of heap and then throw itself into a paroxysm of garbage collection?
      >>
      > PCGen has needed increasing memory over the years due to the increasing size
      > of data and the number of data sets and characters people tend to load.
      > It's also fair to say that our internal storage structures haven't always
      > been the most efficient. We're already starting to see improvements in the
      > 5.17.x Alpha releases although performance isn't the major issue we're
      > tackling this iteration.
      >
      > If you give PCGen 2GB and load up some characters/data sets it'll tend to
      > hold pretty steady (it's how I run it at home).

      ok ... so the old way to start PCGen was with the .BAT file and command
      line options for memory limits -- what is the preferred method to start
      with modified options now, with the .EXE?

      (or, what are the command-line options for the .EXE?)

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
      Saga site at http://www.quantal.demon.co.uk/saga/
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 29, 2010
        I am using 5.17.3 on an iMac G5 with OSX 10.5.8.

        The reason why I asked is because whenever I run PCGen and have any
        other programs open, PCGen then takes forever to process. It took a
        half hour yesterday to render a character sheet for printing.

        Judi Dionne
        judith.m.dionne@...

        On Jun 28, 2010, at 5:56 PM, James Dempsey wrote:

        > Hi Judi,
        >
        > On 29/06/2010 6:15 AM Judi Dionne wrote
        > > Does PCGen run into any problems if you increase the memory size to
        > > greater than the readme notes indicate? After loading all the
        > > datasets, the program runs very slowly - it's taken me all afternoon
        > > to do adjustments and print out an updated character sheet.
        > >

        > The main limitations are what the operating system can provide. Giving
        > PCGen so much memory that you are using swap space can make it slower.
        > Also at a certain size the operating system will refuse to give PCGen
        > the memory and thus it will not start up.
        >
        > When choosing which sources to load, it is best to be conservative
        > though -we ship a *lot* of sources and most people will only need a
        > subset of these. Also be careful not to load sources twice (e.g.
        > 3.5 RSRD - Campaign Set - Core Book I and 3.5 RSRD Basic both load the
        > basic rules). We have made that harder in the 5.16 line but it can
        > still
        > be done using options like load sources with PCs. Having multiple
        > copies
        > of the same rules will slow the system down and may result in
        > incorrect
        > calculations.
        >
        > Out of interest - what version of PCGen are you using and what
        > operating
        > system?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > James Dempsey
        > PCGen Code SB

      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 7, 2010
          Hi Saxum,

          > On 29/06/2010 08:27, Martijn Verburg wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > actually, I am also intrigued by the possible range of answers, as the
          > >> numbers suggested for running PCGen date back into history ... ranges of
          > >> 64MB to 256MB ... I am running Windows 64-bit, with 4GB, and likely will
          > >> upgrade to 8GB at some point (it makes avoids paging when loading silly
          > >> numbers of very large multi-layer raster images into Photoshop...)
          > >>
          > >> So ... what happens if you let PCGen use, say, 2GB ... does it build up
          > >> 2GB of heap and then throw itself into a paroxysm of garbage collection?
          > >>
          > > PCGen has needed increasing memory over the years due to the increasing
          > size
          > > of data and the number of data sets and characters people tend to load.
          > > It's also fair to say that our internal storage structures haven't always
          > > been the most efficient. We're already starting to see improvements in
          > the
          > > 5.17.x Alpha releases although performance isn't the major issue we're
          > > tackling this iteration.
          > >
          > > If you give PCGen 2GB and load up some characters/data sets it'll tend to
          > > hold pretty steady (it's how I run it at home).

          > ok ... so the old way to start PCGen was with the .BAT file and command
          > line options for memory limits -- what is the preferred method to start
          > with modified options now, with the .EXE?
          >
          > (or, what are the command-line options for the .EXE?)

          I honestly don't know! Anyone else?

        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 7, 2010
            Hi Judi,

            I'd give it more memory in that case.

            On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Judi Dionne <judith.m.dionne@...> wrote:
            > I am using 5.17.3 on an iMac G5 with OSX 10.5.8.
            >
            > The reason why I asked is because whenever I run PCGen and have any
            > other programs open, PCGen then takes forever to process.  It took a
            > half hour yesterday to render a character sheet for printing.
            >
            > Judi Dionne
            > judith.m.dionne@...
            >

            > On Jun 28, 2010, at 5:56 PM, James Dempsey wrote:
            >
            >> Hi Judi,
            >>
            >> On 29/06/2010 6:15 AM Judi Dionne wrote
            >> > Does PCGen run into any problems if you increase the memory size to
            >> > greater than the readme notes indicate? After loading all the
            >> > datasets, the program runs very slowly - it's taken me all afternoon
            >> > to do adjustments and print out an updated character sheet.
            >> >

            >> The main limitations are what the operating system can provide. Giving
            >> PCGen so much memory that you are using swap space can make it slower.
            >> Also at a certain size the operating system will refuse to give PCGen
            >> the memory and thus it will not start up.
            >>
            >> When choosing which sources to load, it is best to be conservative
            >> though -we ship a *lot* of sources and most people will only need a
            >> subset of these. Also be careful not to load sources twice (e.g.
            >> 3.5 RSRD - Campaign Set - Core Book I and 3.5 RSRD Basic both load the
            >> basic rules). We have made that harder in the 5.16 line but it can
            >> still
            >> be done using options like load sources with PCs. Having multiple
            >> copies
            >> of the same rules will slow the system down and may result in
            >> incorrect
            >> calculations.
            >>
            >> Out of interest - what version of PCGen are you using and what
            >> operating
            >> system?
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >> James Dempsey
            >> PCGen Code SB

            > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 7, 2010

              On 7/07/2010 7:57 PM Martijn Verburg wrote
              > Hi Saxum,
              >

              >> On 29/06/2010 08:27, Martijn Verburg wrote:
              >>
              >>> Hi all,
              >>>
              >>> actually, I am also intrigued by the possible range of answers, as the

              >>> PCGen has needed increasing memory over the years due to the increasing
              >>>
              >> size
              >>
              >>> of data and the number of data sets and characters people tend to load.
              >>> It's also fair to say that our internal storage structures haven't always
              >>> been the most efficient. We're already starting to see improvements in
              >>>
              >> the
              >>
              >>> 5.17.x Alpha releases although performance isn't the major issue we're
              >>> tackling this iteration.
              >>>
              >>> If you give PCGen 2GB and load up some characters/data sets it'll tend to
              >>> hold pretty steady (it's how I run it at home).

              >> ok ... so the old way to start PCGen was with the .BAT file and command
              >> line options for memory limits -- what is the preferred method to start
              >> with modified options now, with the .EXE?
              >>
              >> (or, what are the command-line options for the .EXE?)
              >>

              > I honestly don't know! Anyone else?

              The exe is locked to specific settings, which should be enough for most
              situations. If you want to run with more memory, the best/simplest
              option is to update the low mem bat file to have more memory - not so
              low mem any more :)

              Cheers,
              James.
            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 7, 2010

                You may also want to check the options you have set. The auto create
                equipment one is known to cause slow downs. Also I would open the debug
                console (leaving the logging level unchanged) and note if you see any
                error messages, particularly when an action is taking a long time to
                respond.

                I'm also very interested to hear that 5.17.3 is slow - others have
                reported it to be significantly faster, so I'd like to track down if
                there is an issue there.

                Cheers,
                James.

                On 7/07/2010 7:57 PM Martijn Verburg wrote
                > Hi Judi,
                >
                > I'd give it more memory in that case.

                > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Judi Dionne <judith.m.dionne@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I am using 5.17.3 on an iMac G5 with OSX 10.5.8.
                >>
                >> The reason why I asked is because whenever I run PCGen and have any
                >> other programs open, PCGen then takes forever to process. It took a
                >> half hour yesterday to render a character sheet for printing.
                >>
                >> Judi Dionne
                >> judith.m.dionne@...
                >>

                >> On Jun 28, 2010, at 5:56 PM, James Dempsey wrote:
                >>

                >>> Hi Judi,
                >>>
                >>> On 29/06/2010 6:15 AM Judi Dionne wrote

                >>> The main limitations are what the operating system can provide. Giving
                >>> PCGen so much memory that you are using swap space can make it slower.
                >>> Also at a certain size the operating system will refuse to give PCGen
                >>> the memory and thus it will not start up.
                >>>
                >>> When choosing which sources to load, it is best to be conservative
                >>> though -we ship a *lot* of sources and most people will only need a
                >>> subset of these. Also be careful not to load sources twice (e.g.
                >>> 3.5 RSRD - Campaign Set - Core Book I and 3.5 RSRD Basic both load the
                >>> basic rules). We have made that harder in the 5.16 line but it can
                >>> still
                >>> be done using options like load sources with PCs. Having multiple
                >>> copies
                >>> of the same rules will slow the system down and may result in
                >>> incorrect
                >>> calculations.
                >>>
                >>> Out of interest - what version of PCGen are you using and what
                >>> operating
                >>> system?
                >>>
                >>> Cheers,
                >>> James Dempsey
                >>> PCGen Code SB

              • joxtur
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 8, 2010
                  Java under a 32 bit OS has a limit on the amount of memory it can be given, I believe it's 2048.

                  If you don't specifically have an OS that says 64 in the name somewhere, chances are it's a 32 bit OS.

                  If you have 4GB RAM, I'd suggest changing the .bat settings to
                  -Xmx2048m -Xms1024m

                  Xmx is the max size the process will take, Xms is the starting size. I tend to make Xms half what I set Xmx to.

                  If those still don't help, you could try adjusting the stack size, though I haven't ever done that for PCGen specifically. It's only of help if the program uses a deep stack for calculations, and even then, the performance gain is questionable.
                  -Xss512k

                  64bit OS threw those limits out the window, so you may be able to give it more memory in that case.

                  Hope this helps,
                  - Joxtur