Re: [pcgen] Weapon equipping proposal (was: UI Discussion of Inventory Tab)

  • Terry Milnes
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 27, 2010
      I think this is a great idea! Reason is I have been using PC-Gen for like a
      year now and until just yesterday I did not understand how to read the
      weapon block output(not a manual reader). This would allow me to logically
      layout my attacks and reconcile it to the VTT I use to play.

    • Ainvar G
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 27, 2010
        +1

        I don't know how it would be done and have not had a chance to look at the proposal yet, but Eddy's suggestion definitely deserves consideration. Considering the number of options that a character might have, it could almost warrant a page of its own on an character sheet, much like the spellbooks -- kind of like it is the fighter's spellbook.

        I don't know that the current blocks on the front page of a character sheet need to be changed, but the idea of a page showing the combat options -- combat expertise, power attack, two-weapon fighting with various choices for weapons -- that's golden.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 27, 2010
          Ditto what Ainvar said. Couldn't put it better myself.

          Judi Dionne
          judith.m.dionne@...

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 27, 2010
            Eddy,

            For what it's worth - I'd like to add my voice to this; Yahoo Mail from
            the web wasn't letting me reply earlier.

            Great idea, now will we be able to squeeze this in for 6.0 or 6.2...???

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 27, 2010
              Andrew Maitland scribed:

              > Great idea, now will we be able to squeeze this in for 6.0 or 6.2...???

              First things first, we'll need to determine if the idea has legs, if it does
              then there will be the process of developing the spec. After that the coders
              can determine the timeline, without a spec they're just guessing and there's
              a lot of other interesting features to be coded ahead of it anyway.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
              ~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru
            • Joe Medica
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                Eddy,

                This sounds a lot like work-flows or processes. Great idea! I know it was always confusing and frustrating to have only one option equipped. If you set the UI up to allow the User to map out the "process" they see their character taking, then they would be able to set up all the variables, choosing from some kind of pick list as they define the actions. The list would need to be modified, so that conflicting options are identified and paths based on these options are eliminated post-choice. This is a great idea. I look forward to more discussion here on it.

                Joe Medica

                Yahoo: cellowyn2
                AOL IM: JoeMedica1031

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                  I really like this idea. I've had a fair amount of problems getting
                  PCGen to properly display my attack options and this sounds like a
                  good solution.

                  Keith

                • Ricky
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                    so do i! thumb up!

                    Ricky
                    (ICQ:158244154) (Y!m:iainuki) (MSN:iainuki4)

                    ### the truth is in the eye of the beholder ###

                    Gozzilioni.net'>http://www.gozzilioni.net">Gozzilioni.net

                    ________________________________
> [...]

                    > abilities and temporary bonuses that the character has at his
                    > disposal. For
                    > example say I have a Barbarian wielding a greataxe, I might build
                    > sequences
                    > for a standard attack, a full attack, a full attack while raging, a
                    > standard
                    > attack while fatigued, etc. For a Ranger you build sequences for two-
                    > weapon
                    > fighting or many shot etc.. On the OS each sequence is pretty short
                    > since it
                    > only needs to display the name/description (showing the attack type
                    > and
                    > options involved) and the to-hit and damage numbers.
                    >
                    > It's probably possible to make this an additional feature without
                    > actually
                    > removing the current equipping method and have a preference switch

                    ------------------------------------

                    Related Lists
                    PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • dave_the_ferret
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 30, 2010
                      Greetings,
                      This sounds great, I've nearly always found that the weapon blocks were not always ideal - I'd only want that much detail for some weapons rather than all.
                      Some way to tailor these for each character would be great. Though it can be handy to have all the combat options displayed, it takes up room, and I tend to have favourite combinations that are the only ones I want to refer to.

                      I.e. There may be one weapon that I want to use one or two handed, and sometimes I may use a specific offhand weapon in combination with it, but all of my other weapons would only ever get used one handed - and that one offhand weapon never gets used as a primary, so that whole 'one or two handed & off handed weapon is heavy or light' block is just wasted ink generally other than for the two or three combinations I need.
                      And at last I could do away with the throwing chart for a dagger, I've never thrown a dagger, its there on the equipment list for eating with not fighting! :-)

                      And here's another - in one of my groups, some spare weapons are actually carried around for another player (his carry weight is restrictive), so options to have the weapon blocks show or not show at all for some carried weapons (or weapons flagged as 'not carried') would be handy.
                      (hmmm, I need to add a 'container' named after another character!)

                      Taking this a step further - could the AC for that combination be included as well as hit/damage? I.e combinations such as 'buckler and two handed sword', or 'heavy shield and single handed sword' would be handy.

                      I would vote for this to be an option to use either the existing weapon block or the new style, selected *per character* (my mage couldn't care less about the weapon stats!)

                      Also, as a preference, I wouldn't want this option to use extra sheets (though perhaps as a further option...), I'd like to use it so I can tailor it and see *only* the weapon stats I need, and thus make the entire character sheet easier to use.

                      Cheers
                      Dave

                      > Hi all,
                      > Since we are discussing the inventory UI I'd like to repeat a proposal
                      > that was made some time ago
                      SNIP...

                      > It's probably possible to make this an additional feature without actually
                      > removing the current equipping method and have a preference switch which
                      > output to use. Thoughts?
                      > --
                      > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                      > ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
                      > ~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru

                    • Martijn Verburg
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 30, 2010
                        Eddy,

                        Could you please formalise this into a spec/JIRA?

                        Thanks!