language suggestion

  • C. Chaplin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2001
      Currently races are alloted an automatic language selection. For
      those users (such as myself :) who wish to use the FR Guidelines
      humans don't always automatically speak Common, but have languages
      dependant on what region they're from. Would it be possible to
      implement instead some kind of "slot" method? For example, say a
      human has one slot but initially is only allowed to begin play
      speaking Smurfish (due to the region he/she comes from).
      As I have no programming knowledge unfortunately I can't offer any
      suggestions on how to do this :(

      btw, I think this program is great and is coming along *very* well.
      I meant to mention that earlier, oh well :)
    • Robert Hilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2001
        ok i have (and thought i uploaded) the fr races, these have the listed starting
        languages,and one regional lang. also the optional lang they can choose is
        based on the regional (especially the demihumans that come from certian areas.
        further than that, i dont know.

        =====
        Robert Hilson
        http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • John Pyrich
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2001
          --- In pcgen@egroups.com, "C. Chaplin" <gauss@v...> wrote:

          > Currently races are alloted an automatic language selection. For
          > those users (such as myself :) who wish to use the FR Guidelines
          > humans don't always automatically speak Common, but have languages
          > dependant on what region they're from.

          I'm unfamiliar with the FR Guidelines. Are those for 3e?
          I have the same problem with my campaign world. I'm just going to
          remove the LANGAUTO for all of the races in my campaign and give the
          players an additional skill point to use in the program.

          In regard to languages, here's something that I discovered while
          using the Wizard's program. Languages added using skill points are
          listed under skills so you can always audit the skill points used.
          The languages also appear under Languages Spoken so you can't choose
          it twice by accident. That's kind of slick and would help close the
          bug when you delete a language purchased with skill points. Just a
          thought.

          > Would it be possible to implement instead some kind of "slot"
          > method? For example, say a human has one slot but initially is
          > only allowed to begin play speaking Smurfish (due to the region
          > he/she comes from).

          *If* this is changed here is a suggestion.

          Add a tag to give a race additional languages slots (added to
          the INT number. You then can remove the LANGAUTO for that race, add
          your set of racial languages to LANGBONUS and you're set. This might
          work nicely for the future as well.

          See Bryan! I *can* keep it under 30. ;-)

          John
        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2001
            --- In pcgen@egroups.com, "John Pyrich" <pyrich@c...> wrote:
            > --- In pcgen@egroups.com, "C. Chaplin" <gauss@v...> wrote:
            >
            > > Currently races are alloted an automatic language selection. For
            > > those users (such as myself :) who wish to use the FR Guidelines
            > > humans don't always automatically speak Common, but have languages
            > > dependant on what region they're from.

            Technically, with the CAMPAIGN tags now available you could
            create multiple entries for Human based on their region
            (Gold Coast Human, Big Ear Human) and specify a different
            LANGAUTO for each. Or you could go the way John describes
            below (which is better because then Human is printed out
            wherever the Race is listed). This assumes that the players
            know what language is required of them when they create their
            character. I don't think I currently support an initial number
            of languages for bonus selection (the number comes solely from
            your intelligence), but this is easy to add and seems like a good
            fit for this kind of problem.

            > I'm unfamiliar with the FR Guidelines. Are those for 3e?
            > I have the same problem with my campaign world. I'm just going to
            > remove the LANGAUTO for all of the races in my campaign and give the
            > players an additional skill point to use in the program.
            >
            > In regard to languages, here's something that I discovered while
            > using the Wizard's program. Languages added using skill points are
            > listed under skills so you can always audit the skill points used.
            > The languages also appear under Languages Spoken so you can't choose
            > it twice by accident. That's kind of slick and would help close the
            > bug when you delete a language purchased with skill points. Just a
            > thought.

            Hm - actually that would be easy to add. I didn't keep track of
            which languages you learned due to skill because it seemed
            like an unnecessary task since it was added to the Language list.
            I'll add this to my list as well.

            > > Would it be possible to implement instead some kind of "slot"
            > > method? For example, say a human has one slot but initially is
            > > only allowed to begin play speaking Smurfish (due to the region
            > > he/she comes from).
            >
            > *If* this is changed here is a suggestion.
            >
            > Add a tag to give a race additional languages slots (added to
            > the INT number. You then can remove the LANGAUTO for that race, add
            > your set of racial languages to LANGBONUS and you're set. This might
            > work nicely for the future as well.
            >
            > See Bryan! I *can* keep it under 30. ;-)

            My To Do list thanks you. ;)

            -Bryan