To those who have 800x600 or smaller resolutions when using PCGen

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 19, 2010
      Hi all,

      In the recent UI survey a couple of you mentioned that you have 800x600
      screens (or smaller). This is presenting something of a challenge for our
      up and coming new UI and so we wanted to know whether those users have an
      alternative to their 800x600 setups. Can you please reply on this list.

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 19, 2010
        Hi Folks!

        Martijn Verburg wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > In the recent UI survey a couple of you mentioned that you have
        > 800x600
        > screens (or smaller). This is presenting something of a challenge
        > for our
        > up and coming new UI and so we wanted to know whether those users
        > have an
        > alternative to their 800x600 setups. Can you please reply on this
        > list.

        The limit on my NetBook is actually 1024x600. My desktop machine can
        handle a great many different resolutions, but then dragging my
        desktop around to my games can be problematic . . . :-)

        I believe I voted 800x600 because that was the closest resolution
        listed to my actual minimum requirement.

        Maredudd
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 19, 2010
          I have a netbook with 1024x576 screen. Netboooks are getting popular cause of the price. Ubuntu a distro of linux is supporting mini netbooks! yay

          > Hi all,
          >
          > In the recent UI survey a couple of you mentioned that you have 800x600
          > screens (or smaller). This is presenting something of a challenge for our
          > up and coming new UI and so we wanted to know whether those users have an
          > alternative to their 800x600 setups. Can you please reply on this list.

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 19, 2010

            100x600 works fine for the new UI. It is only once the width gets below
            around 950 that it starts looking ugly.

            Cheers,
            James.

            On 20/06/2010 7:51 AM Michael wrote

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 19, 2010

              Oops that should have been 1000x600 :)

              Cheers,
              James.

              On 20/06/2010 8:34 AM James Dempsey wrote
              > Hi,
              >
              > 100x600 works fine for the new UI. It is only once the width gets below
              > around 950 that it starts looking ugly.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > James.
              >
              > On 20/06/2010 7:51 AM Michael wrote
              >
              >> I have a netbook with 1024x576 screen. Netboooks are getting popular cause of the price. Ubuntu a distro of linux is supporting mini netbooks! yay
              >>
              >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
              >>

              >>> Hi all,
              >>>
              >>> In the recent UI survey a couple of you mentioned that you have 800x600
              >>> screens (or smaller). This is presenting something of a challenge for our
              >>> up and coming new UI and so we wanted to know whether those users have an
              >>> alternative to their 800x600 setups. Can you please reply on this list.

            • Craig
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 20, 2010
                Good morning,
                I am running an eeePC netbook (1024x600) using Easy-Peasy version of ubuntu. I am able to open PCGen and access it, however I am missing all the books. I tried loading the separate pathfinder books, however they don't show up.

                Any ideas?

                I installed java, and made the .jar file executable, and executed it to get where I am now.

                ???

                Thanks,
                Craig
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 20, 2010

                  I'm flagging our coders, I think this is a known issue - but let me double check.
                   --
                  Andrew

                  ________________________________
                  I am running an eeePC netbook (1024x600) using Easy-Peasy version of ubuntu. I am able to open PCGen and access it, however I am missing all the books. I tried loading the separate pathfinder books, however they don't show up.

                  Any ideas?

                  I installed java, and made the .jar file executable, and executed it to get where I am now.

                  ???

                  Thanks,
                  Craig

                  ------------------------------------

                  Related Lists
                  PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • thpr
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 20, 2010
                    You must use Sun's version of Java (sun-java6-jre).

                    There is a known bug with the free version of Java (openjdk).

                    TP.

                    > I'm flagging our coders, I think this is a known issue - but let me double check.
                    >  --
                    > Andrew
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Susan Dittmar
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 21, 2010
                      Quoting Martijn Verburg (martijnverburg@...):
                      > so we wanted to know whether those users have an
                      > alternative to their 800x600 setups. Can you please reply on this list.

                      Well, for my linux laptop I can have *virtual* desktops as big as I want.
                      It's just a pain in the ass to scroll around all the time just to switch
                      between choice and OK button. Especially as PCGen already stretches the
                      laptop's resources...
                      So yes, I do have a work-around.

                      Susan

                    • James Dempsey
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 21, 2010
                        Hi Susan,

                        On 21 June 2010 17:46, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:
                        > Quoting Martijn Verburg (martijnverburg@...):
                        >> so we wanted to know whether those users have an
                        >> alternative to their 800x600 setups.  Can you please reply on this list.
                        >
                        > Well, for my linux laptop I can have *virtual* desktops as big as I want.
                        > It's just a pain in the ass to scroll around all the time just to switch
                        > between choice and OK button. Especially as PCGen already stretches the
                        > laptop's resources...
                        > So yes, I do have a work-around.

                        What is your (non-virtual) screen size? Are you happy to have PCGen
                        fill that size window?

                        BTW: Early reports indicate that the work on the core has made good
                        performance improvements and an aim of the new UI is to be much more
                        responsive than the old one. Again this has been borne out by early
                        testing.

                        Cheers,
                        James Dempsey
                        PCGen Code SB
                      • Martijn Verburg
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 24, 2010
                          Hi all,

                          At this stage I'm going to tentatively state that the minimum resolution the
                          new UI is going to support will be 1024x600.

                          That's not to say PCGen won't work on 800x600, but we simply can't guarantee
                          a lovely UI at that resolution (there's simply too much data to display!).

                          On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 8:48 AM, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...>wrote:

                          > Hi Susan,
                          >

                          > On 21 June 2010 17:46, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...<Susan.Dittmar%40gmx.de>>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Quoting Martijn Verburg (martijnverburg@...<martijnverburg%40gmail.com>
                          > ):
                          > >> so we wanted to know whether those users have an
                          > >> alternative to their 800x600 setups. Can you please reply on this list.
                          > >
                          > > Well, for my linux laptop I can have *virtual* desktops as big as I want.
                          > > It's just a pain in the ass to scroll around all the time just to switch
                          > > between choice and OK button. Especially as PCGen already stretches the
                          > > laptop's resources...
                          > > So yes, I do have a work-around.
                          > >

                          > What is your (non-virtual) screen size? Are you happy to have PCGen
                          > fill that size window?
                          >
                          > BTW: Early reports indicate that the work on the core has made good
                          > performance improvements and an aim of the new UI is to be much more
                          > responsive than the old one. Again this has been borne out by early
                          > testing.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > James Dempsey
                          > PCGen Code SB

                        • Craig
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 29, 2010
                            Ok, Thank you for the tip. I installed the sun java version and I get the same result. no books/datafiles. (I verified this at the command line as the most current version.)

                            Do you have any other suggestions?

                            Thanks,
                            Craig

                            On Jun 20, 2010, at 1:08 PM, thpr wrote:

                            > You must use Sun's version of Java (sun-java6-jre).
                            >
                            > There is a known bug with the free version of Java (openjdk).
                            >
                            > TP.

                            > > Hi,
                            > >
                            > > I'm flagging our coders, I think this is a known issue - but let me double check.
                            > > --
                            > > Andrew
                            > >

                            > > ________________________________

                          • Anestis Kozakis
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 29, 2010
                              On 30 June 2010 10:01, Craig <craig@...> wrote:
                              > Ok, Thank you for the tip. I installed the sun java version and I get the same result. no books/datafiles.  (I verified this at the command line as the most current version.)
                              >

                              > Do you have any other suggestions?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Craig

                              Check the options/preferences in PCGen to ensure the filepath for the
                              sources is pointing tot he correct directory/location.

                              Anestis.

                              --
                              Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@... | http://www.akozakis.id.au/
                            • James Dempsey
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 29, 2010
                                Hi Craig,

                                You'll find that event though the sun version is installed the open java
                                is still being used. See the instructions at the bottom of
                                http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/faqpages/faqoutofmemoryandjavaissues.html

                                Cheers,
                                James.

                                On 30/06/2010 10:01 AM Craig wrote
                                > Ok, Thank you for the tip. I installed the sun java version and I get the same result. no books/datafiles. (I verified this at the command line as the most current version.)
                                >

                                > Do you have any other suggestions?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Craig
                                >
                                > On Jun 20, 2010, at 1:08 PM, thpr wrote:
                                >

                                >> You must use Sun's version of Java (sun-java6-jre).
                                >>
                                >> There is a known bug with the free version of Java (openjdk).
                                >>
                                >> TP.
                                >>
                                >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >>> Hi,
                                >>>
                                >>> I'm flagging our coders, I think this is a known issue - but let me double check.
                                >>> --
                                >>> Andrew
                                >>>

                                >>> ________________________________

                              • Craig
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 29, 2010
                                  I appreciate both suggestions. However I only have the sun java installed "There is only one alternative in link group java: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java"
                                  When I try to launch the preferences from the settings menu, I get no results.

                                  Thanks for your help,

                                  Craig

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                                    What happens when you type java --version from the command line?

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 13, 2010
                                      Bump :)