OS Bug with High BAB Creatures

  • George
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2010
      This bug was found using the Pathfinder game mode under v5.16.2, which has the following tags in the system file miscinfo.lst:

      BABMAXATT:4
      BABATTCYC:5
      BABMINVAL:1

      I created a creature with BAB +24, and exported it using
      d20\fantasy\pdf\csheet_fantasy_std_blackandwhite.xslt.

      Base Attack Bonus displays as +24/+19/+14/+9/+4 I think it should be capped at 4 attacks, but that's not as big a problem as what happens with CMB (melee and ranged attacks are OK). The CMB BAB block only uses 4 levels, but the CMB total block tries to use all 5 (truncating the last due to lack of space so that I see +31/+26/+21/+16/+1). Even worse, the individual offense CMB blocks with iterative attack bonuses are unreadable because the numbers all run together.

      Cheers,

      Sir George Anonymous
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2010

        Hm, odd... Pathfinder and SRD35 use the same code... need to see if this
        is true in all gamemodes. I don't remember any changes to the iteration
        code at all in the past, which is what keeps that capped at 4.

        OS PDF doesn't cap at 4 iterations <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/OS-18>

        On 6/11/2010 3:20 AM, George wrote:
        > This bug was found using the Pathfinder game mode under v5.16.2, which has the following tags in the system file miscinfo.lst:
        >
        > BABMAXATT:4
        > BABATTCYC:5
        > BABMINVAL:1
        >
        > I created a creature with BAB +24, and exported it using
        > d20\fantasy\pdf\csheet_fantasy_std_blackandwhite.xslt.
        >
        > Base Attack Bonus displays as +24/+19/+14/+9/+4 I think it should be capped at 4 attacks, but that's not as big a problem as what happens with CMB (melee and ranged attacks are OK). The CMB BAB block only uses 4 levels, but the CMB total block tries to use all 5 (truncating the last due to lack of space so that I see +31/+26/+21/+16/+1). Even worse, the individual offense CMB blocks with iterative attack bonuses are unreadable because the numbers all run together.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Sir George Anonymous

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      • Chuck
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11, 2010
          Found the problem, there is a low-level routine that simply iterates by subtracting 5 until the remainder is less than 5. It's used to output both BAB and CMB. That will have to be changed to allow "overrides" to the number subtracted (i.e. 5), minimum value to allow to print, and on the number of iterations. Since I've got some time this next week, I've assigned it to me, and I'll fix it next week.

          Chuck

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 11, 2010

            It seems only Pathfinder will trigger that, since srd35 et al stop at
            BAB 20 and then have another value of +1 per 2 levels per the Epic
            rules. Which is why we've never encountered this before.

            On 6/11/2010 1:07 PM, Chuck wrote:
            > Found the problem, there is a low-level routine that simply iterates by subtracting 5 until the remainder is less than 5. It's used to output both BAB and CMB. That will have to be changed to allow "overrides" to the number subtracted (i.e. 5), minimum value to allow to print, and on the number of iterations. Since I've got some time this next week, I've assigned it to me, and I'll fix it next week.
            >
            > Chuck
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> Hm, odd... Pathfinder and SRD35 use the same code... need to see if this
            >> is true in all gamemodes. I don't remember any changes to the iteration
            >> code at all in the past, which is what keeps that capped at 4.
            >>

            >> OS PDF doesn't cap at 4 iterations<http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/OS-18>
            >>

            >> On 6/11/2010 3:20 AM, George wrote:
            >>
            >>> This bug was found using the Pathfinder game mode under v5.16.2, which has the following tags in the system file miscinfo.lst:
            >>>
            >>> BABMAXATT:4
            >>> BABATTCYC:5
            >>> BABMINVAL:1
            >>>
            >>> I created a creature with BAB +24, and exported it using
            >>> d20\fantasy\pdf\csheet_fantasy_std_blackandwhite.xslt.
            >>>
            >>> Base Attack Bonus displays as +24/+19/+14/+9/+4 I think it should be capped at 4 attacks, but that's not as big a problem as what happens with CMB (melee and ranged attacks are OK). The CMB BAB block only uses 4 levels, but the CMB total block tries to use all 5 (truncating the last due to lack of space so that I see +31/+26/+21/+16/+1). Even worse, the individual offense CMB blocks with iterative attack bonuses are unreadable because the numbers all run together.
            >>>
            >>> Cheers,
            >>>
            >>> Sir George Anonymous
            >>>

            >>> ------------------------------------
            >>>
            >>> Related Lists

            >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
            >>>

            >> --
            >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
            >> Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

            > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          • Andrew Wilson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12, 2010
              Is this xslt code or java that you're talking about? I'm pretty sure that
              we have
              a java routine that calculates attack progressions and it handles extra
              attacks
              for speed weapons, monks flurry of blows, et al. That code knows how to
              limit the progression appropriately, AFAIK. I'm surprised we aren't using
              it
              here.
              andrew

            • Chuck
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 12, 2010
                It's in the xslt code, not java. I'll look into this more next week, but I may end up asking for some java code to output some things that the xslt doesn't currently have. I don't know (simply because I haven't looked) whether or not BABMAXATT, BABATTCYC, and BABMINVAL are available to the OS. But with those, it should be easy to make this work properly.

                Chuck

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:

                > Is this xslt code or java that you're talking about? I'm pretty sure that
                > we have
                > a java routine that calculates attack progressions and it handles extra
                > attacks
                > for speed weapons, monks flurry of blows, et al. That code knows how to
                > limit the progression appropriately, AFAIK. I'm surprised we aren't using
                > it
                > here.
                > andrew
                > On 11 June 2010 21:07, Chuck <pcgen2006@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Found the problem, there is a low-level routine that simply iterates by
                > > subtracting 5 until the remainder is less than 5. It's used to output both
                > > BAB and CMB. That will have to be changed to allow "overrides" to the number
                > > subtracted (i.e. 5), minimum value to allow to print, and on the number of
                > > iterations. Since I've got some time this next week, I've assigned it to me,
                > > and I'll fix it next week.
                > >
                > > Chuck

                > > > Hi,
                > > >
                > > > Hm, odd... Pathfinder and SRD35 use the same code... need to see if this
                > > > is true in all gamemodes. I don't remember any changes to the iteration
                > > > code at all in the past, which is what keeps that capped at 4.
                > > >

                > > > OS PDF doesn't cap at 4 iterations <
                > > http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/OS-18>

                > > has the following tags in the system file miscinfo.lst:

                > > capped at 4 attacks, but that's not as big a problem as what happens with
                > > CMB (melee and ranged attacks are OK). The CMB BAB block only uses 4
                > > levels, but the CMB total block tries to use all 5 (truncating the last due
                > > to lack of space so that I see +31/+26/+21/+16/+1). Even worse, the
                > > individual offense CMB blocks with iterative attack bonuses are unreadable
                > > because the numbers all run together.

                > > http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
                > > http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html

                > > > --
                > > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                > > > Admin Silverback - PCGen Board of Directors
                > > > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                > > > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                > > Related Lists
                > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                > > http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
                > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
                > > http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html
                > >
                > > PCGen List File Help:

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 19, 2010
                  Hi Chuck,

                  I think you'll need to FREQ these from my investigation none of those values
                  are OS tokens.