Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Board of Directors Meeting - June 7th

Expand Messages
  • Andrew Maitland
    PCGen Board of Directors Meeting - Log [19:00] I have 7pm PDT, is everyone ready? [19:00] Yep [19:00] Aye [19:01]
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      PCGen Board of Directors Meeting - Log


      [19:00] <@[Chair]Andrew> I have 7pm PDT, is everyone ready?
      [19:00] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Yep
      [19:00] <[Chimp]Eddy> Aye
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> Hi everyone, welcome to the PCGen Board of Directors open meeting - today's date is 6/7/10 @7pm PDT
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> Our agenda today is:
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> 1.)  The usual Team Reports
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> 
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> 2.)  Code team, are we able to look at a single downloadable executable for BETA testers of the new UI?  What's available is very useful already, but it could be even simpler?
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> 
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> 2.a)  John is delaying his initial Inventory screen mockup for a week, due to RL.
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> 
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> 3.)  JIRA tweaks are continuing and we're seeing fairly heavy traffic on the various projects.  I'm going to start running some reports and see if and where we're missing useful meta data and see if we can start spotting any trends yet (probably not).
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> 
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> 4.)  RPGIllustrator guy is going to get back to Eric soon.
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> 
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> ADDITIONAL ITEM:
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> BoD Bylaw Wording Change
      [19:02] <@[Chair]Andrew> James - you're up first.
      [19:03] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> ok, code has been advancing on two fronts - Tom's architecture work in the trunk and Connor and my work in the UI sandbox
      [19:03] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> Plus the occasional bug fix.
      [19:04] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> Most of the bugs fixed have been things first appearing in 5.17, which is expected.
      [19:04] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> Both projects are going well at this stage
      [19:05] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> The next big step in the UI project will be a design for the inventory tab from John
      [19:05] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> Any questions?
      [19:05] <@[Chair]Andrew> When's the next UI meeting?
      [19:06] <@[Chair]Andrew> (For those at home interested)
      [19:06] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> Not scheduled, but it would be once the first cut of the inventory design is done I suspect
      [19:07] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, cool. That's it from me till I hit my reports ;)
      [19:07] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> Also of note is that we did an alpha release last weekend
      [19:07] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> and the next one is tentatively scheduled for two weeks from now
      [19:08] <@[Chair]Andrew> Awesome, unless anyone else has questions I'll hit the Admin report
      [19:09] <@[Chair]Andrew> ADMIN Reports:
      [19:09] <@[Chair]Andrew> Trackers - 
      [19:09] <@[Chair]Andrew> SF Trackers - David Bender and Kar have been handling the Code Trackers that Tom has flagged as good to move. We are still awaiting James to clear the remaining that Tom has Flagged for him.  We'll need each team to sort through their respective Trackers and let the TMs know which issues are still valid and should be Ported.
      [19:09] <@[Chair]Andrew> If possible if we could get the volunteers for that - I'd like Eric to handle Docs; Kar for OS; and in the Absence of Tir, can Eddy handle the Data Trackers, if not I can sort through the Data Trackers? We'll move all the PrettyLST trackers into Code Bug/FREQs under It's own Component of PrettyLST (Which I think is already set up).
      [19:09] <@[Chair]Andrew> I think the move is progressing nicely and within a few more BoD meetings I think it should be finished… Depending on pace of the volunteers and such.
      [19:10] <@[Chair]Andrew> JIRA - Up and running great. I've tweaked the settings in the last two weeks, so now _ALL_ the Projects are being sent to the Main Trackers list, some had not been sending any updates except to the originating Reporter. 
      [19:10] <@[Chair]Andrew>   We have a few JIRA projects sending email to some sub-trackers on SF, is this something we want to continue? And if so, should we set up the mailing lists so they correlate to one project each? (I can see this as something people who only want to monitor one or a few projects, so no issue with doing this).
      [19:10] * @[Chair]Andrew pauses for a breath and comments
      [19:10] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> My apologies for not getting to that list - I'll aim to get it done this week
      [19:11] <[OGL]Nylanfs> What about the New Source trackers from SF? Should we move those over?
      [19:11] <@[Chair]Andrew> Eddy and Eric are you up to checking out the trackers and letting the TM's know what should be moved over?
      [19:11] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> I'd vote for separate lists for the different projects myself
      [19:11] <@[Chair]Andrew> Yes, anything still pending on the SF should be moved over
      [19:11] <@[Chair]Andrew> I'll handle the New Source Trackers on SF, unless anyone objects
      [19:11] <[Chimp]Eddy> I can take a look at those, it's not a long list
      [19:12] <[Chimp]Eddy> no objections if you want to do that
      [19:12] <@[Chair]Andrew> Cool, I'd like to spread the work as the move is a big undertaking...
      [19:13] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, unless anyone has any questions, I'll move on to the next Admin stuff.
      [19:13] <[Chimp]Eddy> no prob, there's only 18 open over there
      [19:13] <@[Chair]Andrew> RELEASE - 5.17.3 went out the door. Of concern is this Release did not include some OS changes I had done a good week prior, did something go wrong in the Release Process that excluded those changes?
      [19:14] <@[Chair]Andrew> James - Any ideas?
      [19:14] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> Hmm, if you can send me file names or SVN revisions I'll check what wet wrong
      [19:14] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> *went
      [19:14] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, I'll get those to you in a bit. Thanks
      [19:14] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> np
      [19:14] <@[Chair]Andrew> WEB - I've been touching up the WIKI, of note I improved the layout and usability of Joining the Data Team, linked to the SVN so team members and plain users can easily grab the latest version of the Utilities. If anyone has anything they'd like prettified, please let me know. Kar, myself and various other monkeys have been making the WIKI a very powerful tool.
      [19:15] <@[Chair]Andrew> *Good job everyone :)
      [19:15] <@[Chair]Andrew> Wiki Core Dumps - Apparently this has been resolved somehow without me understanding how. Anestis reports no new dumps, so no upgrade until needed *Sigh of relief*.
      [19:15] <@[Chair]Andrew> Web Team Report from Anestis:
      [19:15] <@[Chair]Andrew> 1. Temporary PCGen website - being worked on.  Hope to have it completed in one to two weeks.
      [19:15] <@[Chair]Andrew> 2. Joomla! version of site.  I don't want to start adding content until we have a PCGen Joomla!  theme.  This requires CSS and, I believe, some XML coding.  I don't have this experience, but if anyone does please point them in my direction.  Otherwise I will muddle through and try various things.
      [19:16] <@[Chair]Andrew> 3. Hudson failures.  This is due to memory on the server being used up.  As time goes on, Apache and mysql will use up more and more memory.  restarting these on a regular basis should fix memory issues.  Restarting tomcat occasionally is also a good idea.  One possibility is that Hudson may have a memory leak.  I believe there are tools to determine if this is the case and report back to the Hudson developers - (Link: http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/I%27m+getting+OutOfMemoryError)http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/I%27m+getting+OutOfMemoryError%c2%a0
      [19:16] <@[Chair]Andrew> - End Anestis Report
      [19:16] <@[Chair]Andrew> Along the hudson failures, would it be possible to have a Script run every say 24-48 hours to restart Tomcat and the various "servers", like Hudson and anything else running on the Java?  I think this would lessen the need for someone to reset it manually.
      [19:16] * @[Chair]Andrew pauses again
      [19:16] <@[Chair]Andrew> James are you able to set up a cron job to do something like that perhaps?
      [19:17] <@[Chair]Andrew> Or is restarting a server a manual thing we'll have to deal with?
      [19:17] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> That seems like a good idea
      [19:18] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, yay for a good idea. :)
      [19:18] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> I'll investigate the cron option
      [19:18] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay - I think that's it for the official Admin report.
      [19:18] <@[Chair]Andrew> On the personal note - I've been cleaning up the Eclipse Data Sets - improving on techniques Eddy mentioned (Thanks Eddy) and eagerly awaiting each code improvement as Tom and James push them through. I'm also going through and clearing the Project Test Requests.
      [19:18] <@[Chair]Andrew> Question for the group - Is there anyway to correct a SVN Commit? Other than backing it out and redoing it… I'm talking about changing the ISSUE # or the Message it had?
      [19:18] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> Not under SF's implementation no
      [19:18] <@[Chair]Andrew> Bummer
      [19:18] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> There is a propset command whihc can be used but they (wisely) have blocked this
      [19:19] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> The recourse where it is serious would be to raise a ticket and ask for a fix
      [19:19] <@[Chair]Andrew> I commited a good change but the number got messed up had the entire web address then the number which didn't get attributed to the correct JIRA Ticket
      [19:19] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> Otherwise I'd recommend just adding comments and manual links to the issues involved
      [19:19] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay
      [19:19] <@[Chair]Andrew> I'd also like to encourage people to jump in the Templating Engine Discussion I started on the PCGEN_Developers Y! Group. Stefan is the lead for this, but I think user input is much needed.
      [19:19] <@[Chair]Andrew> 
      [19:19] <@[Chair]Andrew> Any questions for any of the Admin topics?
      [19:20] <@[Chair]Andrew> (Also, Stefan is doing a juggling act with the Pathfinder German Translation Team, so the more we can help him out the better we'll be off I think :)  )
      [19:21] <@[Chair]Andrew> That's it for Admin, sorry for the lengthy report. As a Segway, Eddy did you want to hit on the Pathfinder report now?
      [19:21] <[Chimp]Eddy> Sure
      [19:21] <[Chimp]Eddy> I can only speak to the Pathfinder data I've been working on
      [19:21] <[Chimp]Eddy> I have 5 Pathfinder OOC installers that have gone through all the reviews and are ready to be released pending Data Silverback approval.
      [19:21] <[Chimp]Eddy> I sent them to Tir but haven't heard from him in about 3 weeks
      [19:22] <[Chimp]Eddy> Piazo has recently released errata for the Core rules and the Bestiary, Stefan suggested we implement this and release one final OOC for 5.16.2
      [19:22] <[Chimp]Eddy> I have completed the Bestiary errata and I believe Stefan has completed the Core book errata but I haven't heard back from him to confirm.
      [19:22] <[Chimp]Eddy> Once I have confirmation that all desired fixes are in I'm ready to create the OOC release.
      [19:22] <[Chimp]Eddy> Another suggestion was to remove the Pathfinder Beta from the 5.17 line and create an OOC package for that for any who still wanted to use it,
      [19:22] <[Chimp]Eddy> This is to lessen the confusion it's existance can cause but let it remain available in some form, also it is no longer being developed.
      [19:22] <[Chimp]Eddy> So what do we need to approve this plan? I'm not sure if it's been discussed on an open forum yet.
      [19:22] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Wasn't it brought up on Exp?
      [19:23] <@[Chair]Andrew> It was raised on the BoD, I'm not sure the newest incarnation has gone to _exp yet
      [19:23] <[Chimp]Eddy> originally it was brought up on the closed Pathfinder list
      [19:23] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Either way I definitely think that making it a OOC set is a good plan. And helps the new users out.
      [19:24] <@[Chair]Andrew> That's a basic Silverback call in my mind... plus everyone on the BoD agreed to it.
      [19:24] <[Chimp]Eddy> I'm fine with it if the BoD agrees but we don't have an SB making the call
      [19:24] <@[Chair]Andrew> All we need is Tir to say "yes" and then do it.
      [19:25] <[Chimp]Eddy> Hopefully we'll hear from him soon
      [19:26] <[Chimp]Eddy> That's it from me, questions?
      [19:26] <@[Chair]Andrew> Sounds good. No questions here
      [19:26] <@[Chair]Andrew> Eric - PR is up if you're ready.
      [19:27] <[PR]Maredudd> Yep.
      [19:27] <[PR]Maredudd> But first, a quick note on the PF Beta OOC issue.
      [19:27] <@[Chair]Andrew> Oh hold on a sec Eric...
      [19:27] <@[Chair]Andrew> Since James is leaving, do you mind if we touch on Agenda Item 2
      [19:28] <@[Chair]Andrew> 2.)  Code team, are we able to look at a single downloadable executable for BETA testers of the new UI?  What's available is very useful already, but it could be even simpler?
      [19:28] <[PR]Maredudd> II suggest that if Tir doesn't get back with us by the next meeting we address the question then and make a decision.
      [19:28] <[PR]Maredudd> Go ahead!
      [19:28] <@[Chair]Andrew> James - Any comment before you have to leave?
      [19:32] <@[Chair]Andrew> Hm, seems James isn't responding...
      [19:32] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay Eric, sorry for the hold up, go ahead and continue please.
      [19:33] <[PR]Maredudd> K. I suggest that if Tir doesn't get back with us by the next BoD meeting that we address the question then. Assuming of course that we have a quorum. We should also broach the subject on Experimental to see how the broader team feels about the approach.
      [19:33] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> on #2 yes that is possible and I can look into it
      [19:34] <@[Chair]Andrew> Eric - Sounds good, we'll table the PF Beta question till next meeting
      [19:34] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> but  it is a way from beta just yet :)
      [19:34] <[PR]Maredudd> K. Now for PR . . .
      [19:34] <@[Chair]Andrew> James - Thanks a bunch, have an enjoyable day at work. ;)
      [19:35] <[PR]Maredudd> I've updated the wiki and a few other sites with the latest Dev release info and will continue to do so as they come out.
      [19:36] <[PR]Maredudd> On the PL front we have two new publishers permissions: 4 Winds Fantasy Gaming and 0one Games. I'll make a more formal announcement on the main list later this week.
      [19:36] <[PR]Maredudd> I don't believe we have any sources that are pending a Licensing review at this time. Paul G has done a great job of clearing those reviews for us! Thanks Paul!
      [19:37] <[PR]Maredudd> Thats all for PR . . . Any questions?
      [19:37] <@[Chair]Andrew> Awesome job
      [19:38] <@[Chair]Andrew> No questions here
      [19:38] <jamesd[Code_SB]1> Time for me to go - bye everyone
      [19:38] <@[Chair]Andrew> I think that's everyone for the Team reports
      [19:38] <@[Chair]Andrew> Bye James
      [19:38] <[PR]Maredudd> Cya James!
      [19:38] <[Chimp]Eddy> bye James
      [19:38] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay Item #3
      [19:38] <@[Chair]Andrew> 3.)  JIRA tweaks are continuing and we're seeing fairly heavy traffic on the various projects.  I'm going to start running some reports and see if and where we're missing useful meta data and see if we can start spotting any trends yet (probably not).
      [19:38] <@[Chair]Andrew> Not much to say on this.
      [19:39] <@[Chair]Andrew> Anyone have any comments before I move on?
      [19:39] <[PR]Maredudd> Nope
      [19:39] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, Item #4
      [19:39] <@[Chair]Andrew> 4.)  RPGIllustrator guy is going to get back to Eric soon.
      [19:40] <@[Chair]Andrew> Eric, this one is all you. :)
      [19:41] <[PR]Maredudd> I am still waiting for RPGIllustrator to get back to me. Later this week I'll drop him a note to try and get some discussion started.
      [19:42] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay cool... so at this time we're waiting. Unless anyone has questions, we'll move on
      [19:42] <@[Chair]Andrew> ADDITIONAL ITEM:
      [19:42] <@[Chair]Andrew> 
      [19:42] <@[Chair]Andrew> Changing the wording of Section 4 Article IV of our bylaws from:
      [19:42] <@[Chair]Andrew> 
      [19:42] <@[Chair]Andrew> "The PCGen Board of Directors will at all times endeavor to minimize the number of discussions on the private Board of Directors mailing list."
      [19:42] <@[Chair]Andrew> To something like:
      [19:42] <@[Chair]Andrew> "The PCGen Board of Directors will at all times endeavor to minimize the number of discussions by them or their teams on the private mailing lists.  This is in order to foster an open community where decision making is transparent to all."
      [19:43] <@[Chair]Andrew> We don't have a Quorum to vote on this
      [19:43] <@[Chair]Andrew> We'll have to table this and possibly just do the Poll/vote method
      [19:43] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, that concludes the official items for tonight.
      [19:43] <[PR]Maredudd> Sounds good to me.
      [19:44] <@[Chair]Andrew> It's now open floor - Any questions, topics or comments are welcome by anyone at this time.
      [19:46] <@[Chair]Andrew> Jon, Conor, Thoth aka Paul - is there anything you'd like to comment or ask questions about?
      [19:47] <@[Chair]Andrew> Likewise eigh_droid and ThunderChicken
      [19:48] <ConorNB> Not really. It was definitely interesting to see the work that is put into this program though
      [19:48] <@[Chair]Andrew> Thanks Conor
      [19:49] <BPIJonathan> I heard there was an increase in traffic this weekend?
      [19:49] <@[Chair]Andrew> Yes
      [19:50] <BPIJonathan> How much, any hard numbers/percentages?
      [19:50] <@[Chair]Andrew> We had a large number of new users inquiring about Pathfinder items, or general coding questions
      [19:50] <@[Chair]Andrew> Hard numbers, no, not at this time
      [19:51] <Thoth___> Not really here either; It's interesting, but I can't actually use PCGen enough to provide much worthwhile input on it.
      [19:52] <@[Chair]Andrew> It's the low memory issue right?
      [19:53] <@[Chair]Andrew> We will have to see if we can't improve that for you.
      [19:53] <Thoth___> Hard to say what locks it up (once it happens, it's hard to look at anything), but it does eat up a lot of memory.
      [19:53] <@[Chair]Andrew> There is a way to output any log, but James is better at that sort of thing.
      [19:53] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, I'm going to call it a night folks.
      [19:53] <@[Chair]Andrew> Thanks for coming. *Bangs Gavel* Meeting adjourned


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.