Re: [Eddy] Re: Fwd: [pcgen] [pathfinder] familiar details

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
      On 6/4/10 3:10 AM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
      > As a DM I would like the PCGen program to have/retain the flexibility to
      > reassign (normal HD/level based, non-bonus) Feats on creatures,
      > representing natural variation within the creature line.

      I agree with you, we aim to provide as accurate an interpretation of the
      rules as possible while allowing the ability for users to modify things
      as they wish.

      > So having the program mandate that a creature must use its normal Feats
      > (even the Toad?) to implement a separate class feature is arguably going
      > beyond the rules, and closes of flexibility from DMs.
      > (Bonus Feats, applied, fixed, and unchanging - that's OK - but the
      > candidate animals' Weapon Finesse Feat is their 1HD Feat)

      We haven't crossed that line. What we've done is to set the kit that
      sets the base stats for new familiars to also set the default skills and
      feats from the book. A kit only adds stuff that you would normally do
      manually, anything a kit adds you can manually remove. There is nothing
      preventing you from removing those feats and skill points (and changing
      the stats for that matter) and reallocating them as you wish once the
      familiar has been created. If you want to give your familiars Weapon
      Finesse as a bonus feat you can just add 1 to the number of feats field
      and do so.

      > Sorry - I'd hoped we could leave that sort of detailed "what is in the
      > game" discussion for the Paizo forums?

      No problem, I started a thread over there. Unfortunately you don't
      always get a definitive official answer there. However it is not
      inappropriate to have this kind of discussion here since we are
      discussing how the data gets implemented.

      http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/familiarsAndWeaponFinesse

      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Data, Docs& Tracker Chimp