Re: Fwd: [pcgen] [pathfinder] familiar details

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
      On 03/06/2010 14:01, Eddy Anthony wrote:

      >> strictly, Familiars apply "better of Dex& Str" to all but only Natural
      >> weapon attacks... they don't actually have actual Weapon Finesse. (Eg if
      >> a Monkey familiar grasped a dagger, he'd be on Str only)
      >>
      >> PFSRD: Wizard - Familiars

      > I disagree, their stat block lists Weapon Finesse, so the really do have
      > Weapon Finesse and not some ability that just mimics it. The text is
      > just explaining how that is applied and of coarse the only mention
      > natural weapons because they are animals, they only use natural weapons.

      except...

      * Toad lacks Weapon Finesse, but the core rule would still apply to
      a toad familiar?
      * the listed creatures are the base wild animals, not actual familiars
      * the wild animals use their one Feat to get this, but the
      implication of the core rules is that familiars get the
      finesse-equivalent as a bonus property-of-being-a-familiar.

      there's a separate bug that Weapon Finesse wasn't being applied to
      natural attacks? now fixed?

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
        Eddy,

        I'm confused. I've looked in the Bestiary, and I've looked in the Core
        Player Book. I see the List of Animals that can be familiars, but I
        don't see any actual write up of them. I see the exact location where
        the Familiars are said to be given the best of Dex or Str but it doesn't
        mention this being from Weapon Finesse.

        So, I looked the Pathfinder SRD and was able to find the Familiars, and
        you are correct, ALL of them list Weapon Finesse, except the Toad, cause
        the Toad doesn't have a Natural Attack.

        I backed out the commit. I think we should apply the Kits automatically
        like we do in the 3.x stuff to avoid this confusion in the future.

        On 6/3/2010 6:01 AM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
        > On 6/3/10 6:46 AM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
        >
        >> Eddy - I've coded the familiars to work better. However, I'm not happy since I had to use a Hack.
        >>
        >> BONUS:COMBAT won't accept Natural as valid
        >> BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Natural Doesn't seem to fly either.
        >>
        >> In the interim I've used BONUS:WEAPONPROF= on each Familiar Race Line to give them the correct bonus.
        >>
        >> We'll need a Code FREQ to expand WEAPONPROF to include Natural Attacks.
        >>
        >> Anyways, the fix is committed.
        >>

        > Andrew, I think this is incorrect. Familiars don't have an ability that
        > mimics Weapon Finesse, they have the feat itself. You've now got three
        > bonuses in different places all doing the same thing.
        >
        > I think the best solution here is to add the default feats and skills to
        > the familiar kits so when you create one you get the stats from the book
        > right from the start. You can still customize it by removing the
        > defaults and this will alleviate the confusion.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      • Saxum Caribetum
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
          On 03/06/2010 19:37, Andrew Maitland wrote:
          > Eddy,
          >
          > I'm confused. I've looked in the Bestiary, and I've looked in the Core
          > Player Book. I see the List of Animals that can be familiars, but I
          > don't see any actual write up of them.

          You won't find B-for-Bat (just, confusingly, "Bat, Dire" and "Bat,
          Swarm" leaving one wondering where "Bat" or "Bat, Familair went... nor
          C-forCat nor the rest...

          Animals "most commonly used as familairs" - ie those listed in PFRPG are
          gathered together under F-for-Familiar in the PFB.

          > I see the exact location where
          > the Familiars are said to be given the best of Dex or Str but it doesn't
          > mention this being from Weapon Finesse.
          >
          > So, I looked the Pathfinder SRD and was able to find the Familiars, and
          > you are correct, ALL of them list Weapon Finesse, except the Toad, cause
          > the Toad doesn't have a Natural Attack.
          >
          > I backed out the commit. I think we should apply the Kits automatically
          > like we do in the 3.x stuff to avoid this confusion in the future.

          I have my books out again -

          Core PFRPG gives modifications to any "normal, unmodified animal" -
          (with an unwritten assumption that only small weak ones can be used -
          confirmed but not categorized by the Improved Familiar Feat.) - but it
          lacks the descriptions of the base animal statistics, and refers the
          reader to the PFB

          PF Bestiary lists a sample set of normal, unmodified animals, matching
          the list in the PFRPG: "presented here are the base animal statistics
          for all of the most commonly used familiars" and "these statistics can
          also be used for normal animals as well".

          I think it is clear from this that

          1. PFB lists normal animals - not actual familiars
          2. a PFB "familiar" base animal becomes an actual Familiar for a
          Wizard by applying the rules and level-dependent mods in PFRPG
          Wizard section.

          the rest of the Bestiary makes it clear that creatures may have
          different Feats from the ones listed... so

          1. most but not all of the 1HD normal animals in the Familiars block
          have "Weapon Finesse" as their 1HD Feat
          2. actual Familiars are modified by a rule which says "use
          max(Dex,Str) for natural weapons"
          3. ergo: actual Familiars might have Weapon Finesse anyway (eg monkey
          with a dagger) or may have an alternative Feat.

          PFB makes explicit a separate rule "small animals like these use Dex to
          modify Climb and Swim checks".

          --
          Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
            On 6/3/10 5:18 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
            > the rest of the Bestiary makes it clear that creatures may have
            > different Feats from the ones listed... so

            That may be so but a base familiar must be a "normal, unmodified
            animal". I take that to mean you start with the animal with stats as
            presented in the book, choosing different feats for it is modifying it.

            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Data, Docs& Tracker Chimp
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
              On 03/06/2010 22:50, Eddy Anthony wrote:
              > On 6/3/10 5:18 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
              >
              >> the rest of the Bestiary makes it clear that creatures may have
              >> different Feats from the ones listed... so
              >>

              > That may be so but a base familiar must be a "normal, unmodified
              > animal". I take that to mean you start with the animal with stats as
              > presented in the book, choosing different feats for it is modifying it.

              we are drifting into "I interpret the rules this way" discussions, which
              I'd rather not do here...

              However, I take the statement
              > Only a normal, unmodified animal may become a familiar. An animal
              > companion cannot also function as a familiar.
              to mean no deliberate modifications outside the normal range of
              variations of creatures. Templates, Animal Companion, already-Familiar -
              are ruled out.
              As a DM using PCGen, I consider that all Bestiary creatures have some
              variation in them, and am often willing to listen to players, or even
              suggest things to them.

              As a DM I would like the PCGen program to have/retain the flexibility to
              reassign (normal HD/level based, non-bonus) Feats on creatures,
              representing natural variation within the creature line.
              So having the program mandate that a creature must use its normal Feats
              (even the Toad?) to implement a separate class feature is arguably going
              beyond the rules, and closes of flexibility from DMs.
              (Bonus Feats, applied, fixed, and unchanging - that's OK - but the
              candidate animals' Weapon Finesse Feat is their 1HD Feat)

              A Toad has arms, and gums, so in principle has an unarmed attack (weedy
              and normally not worth mentioning). A Familiar Toad has Int and
              potentially has magic buffs and magic items, so might have a worthwhile
              and dangerous attack.
              /Magic fang /and /Greater Magic Fang/ boost "one natural weapon or
              unarmed strike".
              Touch (spell) attacks can be delivered by Familiars.
              ... so I think it matters that a normal Toad does *not* have Weapon
              Finesse, but *still* has the familiar rule of "use max(dex,str)".

              You may argue that a Toad is _listed_ with no natural weapon, so can
              never benefit from the familiar rule on natural weapons;
              I can argue that a living toad eats prey that it catches - as do frogs
              and newts - and so they have a natural weapon, even one so weak as
              normally nor worth mentioning.
              But now the two of us have drifted well out of PCGen and into the realm
              of opinion, and of campaign judgements.

              Sorry - I'd hoped we could leave that sort of detailed "what is in the
              game" discussion for the Paizo forums?

              --
              Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
              Saga site at http://www.quantal.demon.co.uk/saga/

            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                On 6/4/10 3:10 AM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
                > As a DM I would like the PCGen program to have/retain the flexibility to
                > reassign (normal HD/level based, non-bonus) Feats on creatures,
                > representing natural variation within the creature line.

                I agree with you, we aim to provide as accurate an interpretation of the
                rules as possible while allowing the ability for users to modify things
                as they wish.

                > So having the program mandate that a creature must use its normal Feats
                > (even the Toad?) to implement a separate class feature is arguably going
                > beyond the rules, and closes of flexibility from DMs.
                > (Bonus Feats, applied, fixed, and unchanging - that's OK - but the
                > candidate animals' Weapon Finesse Feat is their 1HD Feat)

                We haven't crossed that line. What we've done is to set the kit that
                sets the base stats for new familiars to also set the default skills and
                feats from the book. A kit only adds stuff that you would normally do
                manually, anything a kit adds you can manually remove. There is nothing
                preventing you from removing those feats and skill points (and changing
                the stats for that matter) and reallocating them as you wish once the
                familiar has been created. If you want to give your familiars Weapon
                Finesse as a bonus feat you can just add 1 to the number of feats field
                and do so.

                > Sorry - I'd hoped we could leave that sort of detailed "what is in the
                > game" discussion for the Paizo forums?

                No problem, I started a thread over there. Unfortunately you don't
                always get a definitive official answer there. However it is not
                inappropriate to have this kind of discussion here since we are
                discussing how the data gets implemented.

                http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/familiarsAndWeaponFinesse