Re: [Eddy] Re: Fwd: [pcgen] [pathfinder] familiar details

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
      On 03/06/2010 04:11, Eddy Anthony wrote:

      >>> Attacks - PFRPG, p.83 "use the caster's BAB", "Use the familiar's
      >>> Dex or Str modifier, whichever is greater, to calculate the
      >>> familiar's melee attack bonus with natural weapons".
      >>>
      >>> Bite is not listed, but Unarmed Strike is ... here PCGen
      >>> differs
      >>> from the PFB (which may possibly be in error).
      >>> PFB lists the Bat as "Bite 1D3-4", PCGen gives Unarmed Strike
      >>> 1D2-5
      >>> With Str 1, I rather agree that Str mod is -5
      >>> Base dice Bite 1D3 vs 1D2. OK, PFB p.302 lists "Diminutive
      >>> Bite"
      >>> as 1D2 .. but which is right? Is there an official erratum?
      >>>
      >> Eddy, I think you're looking at the Pathfinder Errata that has just come out,
      >> can you comment?
      >>
      > Sure, there is a data bug, the Bite was left out. I've fixed that. I have
      > the errata and the updated Bestiary pdf however the bats bite damage is
      > still listed as 1d3-4 when it should be -5. As the OP pointed out it doesn't
      > matter since it will be a minimum of 1 in either case.

      (unless his master stacks Bull's Str or similar onto the little blighter
      - there comes a point when eventually it makes a difference)

      > Here's the issue: the "better of Dex or Str" comes from the feat Weapon
      > Finesse, however we have coded the familiars so that when you create one you
      > don't get the default skills and feats. The reasoning is that maybe you'd
      > want to customize the familiar. Once given Weapon Finesse the numbers are
      > correct.

      strictly, Familiars apply "better of Dex & Str" to all but only Natural
      weapon attacks... they don't actually have actual Weapon Finesse. (Eg if
      a Monkey familiar grasped a dagger, he'd be on Str only)

      PFSRD: Wizard - Familiars

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
      Saga site at http://www.quantal.demon.co.uk/saga/

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
        Sounds like something we'll need to apply to the Familiars then. Hidden Ability that mimics Weapon Finesse applied to Natural Attacks only.

        Eddy - I can handle that since I coded up the familiar section.

        ________________________________
        On 03/06/2010 04:11, Eddy Anthony wrote:

        >>> Attacks - PFRPG, p.83 "use the caster's BAB", "Use the familiar's
        >>> Dex or Str modifier, whichever is greater, to calculate the
        >>> familiar's melee attack bonus with natural weapons".
        >>>
        >>>      Bite is not listed, but Unarmed Strike is ... here PCGen
        >>>      differs
        >>>      from the PFB (which may possibly be in error).
        >>>      PFB lists the Bat as "Bite 1D3-4", PCGen gives Unarmed Strike
        >>>      1D2-5
        >>>      With Str 1, I rather agree that Str mod is -5
        >>>      Base dice Bite 1D3 vs 1D2.  OK, PFB p.302 lists "Diminutive
        >>>      Bite"
        >>>      as 1D2 .. but which is right? Is there an official erratum?
        >>>
        >> Eddy, I think you're looking at the Pathfinder Errata that has just come out,
        >> can you comment?
        >>
        > Sure, there is a data bug, the Bite was left out. I've fixed that. I have
        > the errata and the updated Bestiary pdf however the bats bite damage is
        > still listed as 1d3-4 when it should be -5. As the OP pointed out it doesn't
        > matter since it will be a minimum of 1 in either case.

        (unless his master stacks Bull's Str or similar onto the little blighter
        - there comes a point when eventually it makes a difference)

        > Here's the issue: the "better of Dex or Str" comes from the feat Weapon
        > Finesse, however we have coded the familiars so that when you create one you
        > don't get the default skills and feats. The reasoning is that maybe you'd
        > want to customize the familiar. Once given Weapon Finesse the numbers are
        > correct.

        strictly, Familiars apply "better of Dex & Str" to all but only Natural
        weapon attacks... they don't actually have actual Weapon Finesse. (Eg if
        a Monkey familiar grasped a dagger, he'd be on Str only)

        PFSRD: Wizard - Familiars

        > /Attacks/: Use the master's base attack bonus, as calculated from all
        > his classes. Use the familiar's Dexterity
        > <http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gettingStarted.html#dexterity> or
        > Strength
        > <http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gettingStarted.html#strength>
        > modifier, whichever is greater, to calculate the familiar's melee
        > attack bonus with natural weapons.
        >
        > Damage equals that of a normal creature of the familiar's kind.

        --
        Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
        Saga site at http://www.quantal.demon.co.uk/saga/

        ------------------------------------

        Related Lists
        PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
          Eddy - I've coded the familiars to work better. However, I'm not happy since I had to use a Hack.

          BONUS:COMBAT won't accept Natural as valid
          BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Natural Doesn't seem to fly either.

          In the interim I've used BONUS:WEAPONPROF= on each Familiar Race Line to give them the correct bonus.

          We'll need a Code FREQ to expand WEAPONPROF to include Natural Attacks.

          Anyways, the fix is committed.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
            On 03/06/2010 11:46, Andrew Maitland wrote:
            > Eddy - I've coded the familiars to work better. However, I'm not happy since I had to use a Hack.
            >
            > BONUS:COMBAT won't accept Natural as valid
            > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Natural Doesn't seem to fly either.
            >
            > In the interim I've used BONUS:WEAPONPROF= on each Familiar Race Line to give them the correct bonus.
            >

            > We'll need a Code FREQ to expand WEAPONPROF to include Natural Attacks.

            would that allow users to create custom natural weapons, and equip them?

            --
            Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
            Saga site at http://www.quantal.demon.co.uk/saga/
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
              On 6/3/10 3:03 AM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
              >> > Here's the issue: the "better of Dex or Str" comes from the feat Weapon
              >> > Finesse, however we have coded the familiars so that when you create one you
              >> > don't get the default skills and feats. The reasoning is that maybe you'd
              >> > want to customize the familiar. Once given Weapon Finesse the numbers are
              >> > correct.
              >> >

              > strictly, Familiars apply "better of Dex& Str" to all but only Natural
              > weapon attacks... they don't actually have actual Weapon Finesse. (Eg if
              > a Monkey familiar grasped a dagger, he'd be on Str only)
              >
              > PFSRD: Wizard - Familiars
              >

              >> > /Attacks/: Use the master's base attack bonus, as calculated from all
              >> > his classes. Use the familiar's Dexterity
              >> > <http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gettingStarted.html#dexterity> or
              >> > Strength
              >> > <http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gettingStarted.html#strength>
              >> > modifier, whichever is greater, to calculate the familiar's melee
              >> > attack bonus with natural weapons.
              >> >
              >> > Damage equals that of a normal creature of the familiar's kind.

              I disagree, their stat block lists Weapon Finesse, so the really do have
              Weapon Finesse and not some ability that just mimics it. The text is
              just explaining how that is applied and of coarse the only mention
              natural weapons because they are animals, they only use natural weapons.

              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Data, Docs& Tracker Chimp
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                On 6/3/10 6:46 AM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                > Eddy - I've coded the familiars to work better. However, I'm not happy since I had to use a Hack.
                >
                > BONUS:COMBAT won't accept Natural as valid
                > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Natural Doesn't seem to fly either.
                >
                > In the interim I've used BONUS:WEAPONPROF= on each Familiar Race Line to give them the correct bonus.
                >
                > We'll need a Code FREQ to expand WEAPONPROF to include Natural Attacks.
                >
                > Anyways, the fix is committed.

                Andrew, I think this is incorrect. Familiars don't have an ability that
                mimics Weapon Finesse, they have the feat itself. You've now got three
                bonuses in different places all doing the same thing.

                I think the best solution here is to add the default feats and skills to
                the familiar kits so when you create one you get the stats from the book
                right from the start. You can still customize it by removing the
                defaults and this will alleviate the confusion.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                  On 03/06/2010 14:01, Eddy Anthony wrote:

                  >> strictly, Familiars apply "better of Dex& Str" to all but only Natural
                  >> weapon attacks... they don't actually have actual Weapon Finesse. (Eg if
                  >> a Monkey familiar grasped a dagger, he'd be on Str only)
                  >>
                  >> PFSRD: Wizard - Familiars

                  > I disagree, their stat block lists Weapon Finesse, so the really do have
                  > Weapon Finesse and not some ability that just mimics it. The text is
                  > just explaining how that is applied and of coarse the only mention
                  > natural weapons because they are animals, they only use natural weapons.

                  except...

                  * Toad lacks Weapon Finesse, but the core rule would still apply to
                  a toad familiar?
                  * the listed creatures are the base wild animals, not actual familiars
                  * the wild animals use their one Feat to get this, but the
                  implication of the core rules is that familiars get the
                  finesse-equivalent as a bonus property-of-being-a-familiar.

                  there's a separate bug that Weapon Finesse wasn't being applied to
                  natural attacks? now fixed?

                  --
                  Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                    Eddy,

                    I'm confused. I've looked in the Bestiary, and I've looked in the Core
                    Player Book. I see the List of Animals that can be familiars, but I
                    don't see any actual write up of them. I see the exact location where
                    the Familiars are said to be given the best of Dex or Str but it doesn't
                    mention this being from Weapon Finesse.

                    So, I looked the Pathfinder SRD and was able to find the Familiars, and
                    you are correct, ALL of them list Weapon Finesse, except the Toad, cause
                    the Toad doesn't have a Natural Attack.

                    I backed out the commit. I think we should apply the Kits automatically
                    like we do in the 3.x stuff to avoid this confusion in the future.

                    On 6/3/2010 6:01 AM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                    > On 6/3/10 6:46 AM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                    >
                    >> Eddy - I've coded the familiars to work better. However, I'm not happy since I had to use a Hack.
                    >>
                    >> BONUS:COMBAT won't accept Natural as valid
                    >> BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Natural Doesn't seem to fly either.
                    >>
                    >> In the interim I've used BONUS:WEAPONPROF= on each Familiar Race Line to give them the correct bonus.
                    >>
                    >> We'll need a Code FREQ to expand WEAPONPROF to include Natural Attacks.
                    >>
                    >> Anyways, the fix is committed.
                    >>

                    > Andrew, I think this is incorrect. Familiars don't have an ability that
                    > mimics Weapon Finesse, they have the feat itself. You've now got three
                    > bonuses in different places all doing the same thing.
                    >
                    > I think the best solution here is to add the default feats and skills to
                    > the familiar kits so when you create one you get the stats from the book
                    > right from the start. You can still customize it by removing the
                    > defaults and this will alleviate the confusion.

                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                  • Saxum Caribetum
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                      On 03/06/2010 19:37, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                      > Eddy,
                      >
                      > I'm confused. I've looked in the Bestiary, and I've looked in the Core
                      > Player Book. I see the List of Animals that can be familiars, but I
                      > don't see any actual write up of them.

                      You won't find B-for-Bat (just, confusingly, "Bat, Dire" and "Bat,
                      Swarm" leaving one wondering where "Bat" or "Bat, Familair went... nor
                      C-forCat nor the rest...

                      Animals "most commonly used as familairs" - ie those listed in PFRPG are
                      gathered together under F-for-Familiar in the PFB.

                      > I see the exact location where
                      > the Familiars are said to be given the best of Dex or Str but it doesn't
                      > mention this being from Weapon Finesse.
                      >
                      > So, I looked the Pathfinder SRD and was able to find the Familiars, and
                      > you are correct, ALL of them list Weapon Finesse, except the Toad, cause
                      > the Toad doesn't have a Natural Attack.
                      >
                      > I backed out the commit. I think we should apply the Kits automatically
                      > like we do in the 3.x stuff to avoid this confusion in the future.

                      I have my books out again -

                      Core PFRPG gives modifications to any "normal, unmodified animal" -
                      (with an unwritten assumption that only small weak ones can be used -
                      confirmed but not categorized by the Improved Familiar Feat.) - but it
                      lacks the descriptions of the base animal statistics, and refers the
                      reader to the PFB

                      PF Bestiary lists a sample set of normal, unmodified animals, matching
                      the list in the PFRPG: "presented here are the base animal statistics
                      for all of the most commonly used familiars" and "these statistics can
                      also be used for normal animals as well".

                      I think it is clear from this that

                      1. PFB lists normal animals - not actual familiars
                      2. a PFB "familiar" base animal becomes an actual Familiar for a
                      Wizard by applying the rules and level-dependent mods in PFRPG
                      Wizard section.

                      the rest of the Bestiary makes it clear that creatures may have
                      different Feats from the ones listed... so

                      1. most but not all of the 1HD normal animals in the Familiars block
                      have "Weapon Finesse" as their 1HD Feat
                      2. actual Familiars are modified by a rule which says "use
                      max(Dex,Str) for natural weapons"
                      3. ergo: actual Familiars might have Weapon Finesse anyway (eg monkey
                      with a dagger) or may have an alternative Feat.

                      PFB makes explicit a separate rule "small animals like these use Dex to
                      modify Climb and Swim checks".

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                        On 6/3/10 5:18 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
                        > the rest of the Bestiary makes it clear that creatures may have
                        > different Feats from the ones listed... so

                        That may be so but a base familiar must be a "normal, unmodified
                        animal". I take that to mean you start with the animal with stats as
                        presented in the book, choosing different feats for it is modifying it.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                          On 03/06/2010 22:50, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                          > On 6/3/10 5:18 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
                          >
                          >> the rest of the Bestiary makes it clear that creatures may have
                          >> different Feats from the ones listed... so
                          >>

                          > That may be so but a base familiar must be a "normal, unmodified
                          > animal". I take that to mean you start with the animal with stats as
                          > presented in the book, choosing different feats for it is modifying it.

                          we are drifting into "I interpret the rules this way" discussions, which
                          I'd rather not do here...

                          However, I take the statement
                          > Only a normal, unmodified animal may become a familiar. An animal
                          > companion cannot also function as a familiar.
                          to mean no deliberate modifications outside the normal range of
                          variations of creatures. Templates, Animal Companion, already-Familiar -
                          are ruled out.
                          As a DM using PCGen, I consider that all Bestiary creatures have some
                          variation in them, and am often willing to listen to players, or even
                          suggest things to them.

                          As a DM I would like the PCGen program to have/retain the flexibility to
                          reassign (normal HD/level based, non-bonus) Feats on creatures,
                          representing natural variation within the creature line.
                          So having the program mandate that a creature must use its normal Feats
                          (even the Toad?) to implement a separate class feature is arguably going
                          beyond the rules, and closes of flexibility from DMs.
                          (Bonus Feats, applied, fixed, and unchanging - that's OK - but the
                          candidate animals' Weapon Finesse Feat is their 1HD Feat)

                          A Toad has arms, and gums, so in principle has an unarmed attack (weedy
                          and normally not worth mentioning). A Familiar Toad has Int and
                          potentially has magic buffs and magic items, so might have a worthwhile
                          and dangerous attack.
                          /Magic fang /and /Greater Magic Fang/ boost "one natural weapon or
                          unarmed strike".
                          Touch (spell) attacks can be delivered by Familiars.
                          ... so I think it matters that a normal Toad does *not* have Weapon
                          Finesse, but *still* has the familiar rule of "use max(dex,str)".

                          You may argue that a Toad is _listed_ with no natural weapon, so can
                          never benefit from the familiar rule on natural weapons;
                          I can argue that a living toad eats prey that it catches - as do frogs
                          and newts - and so they have a natural weapon, even one so weak as
                          normally nor worth mentioning.
                          But now the two of us have drifted well out of PCGen and into the realm
                          of opinion, and of campaign judgements.

                          Sorry - I'd hoped we could leave that sort of detailed "what is in the
                          game" discussion for the Paizo forums?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                            On 6/4/10 3:10 AM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
                            > As a DM I would like the PCGen program to have/retain the flexibility to
                            > reassign (normal HD/level based, non-bonus) Feats on creatures,
                            > representing natural variation within the creature line.

                            I agree with you, we aim to provide as accurate an interpretation of the
                            rules as possible while allowing the ability for users to modify things
                            as they wish.

                            > So having the program mandate that a creature must use its normal Feats
                            > (even the Toad?) to implement a separate class feature is arguably going
                            > beyond the rules, and closes of flexibility from DMs.
                            > (Bonus Feats, applied, fixed, and unchanging - that's OK - but the
                            > candidate animals' Weapon Finesse Feat is their 1HD Feat)

                            We haven't crossed that line. What we've done is to set the kit that
                            sets the base stats for new familiars to also set the default skills and
                            feats from the book. A kit only adds stuff that you would normally do
                            manually, anything a kit adds you can manually remove. There is nothing
                            preventing you from removing those feats and skill points (and changing
                            the stats for that matter) and reallocating them as you wish once the
                            familiar has been created. If you want to give your familiars Weapon
                            Finesse as a bonus feat you can just add 1 to the number of feats field
                            and do so.

                            > Sorry - I'd hoped we could leave that sort of detailed "what is in the
                            > game" discussion for the Paizo forums?

                            No problem, I started a thread over there. Unfortunately you don't
                            always get a definitive official answer there. However it is not
                            inappropriate to have this kind of discussion here since we are
                            discussing how the data gets implemented.

                            http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/familiarsAndWeaponFinesse