Re: [BUG] Using 'defined' var value sets var to 0?

  • herzogaldilkassach
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
      Although I appreciate your help, please note that this is indeed a problem and not something I made up.

      Note that bonussing my own variable with the TurnLevelUndead variable does not only leave my PurgeUndeadLevel at 0 (which is something I could expect to be the result of a data-entry fault I made myself) but also sets the TurnLevelUndead variable to 0.

      my conclusion as to the origin of the problem may be off, but the effect (to the best of my own testing skills) is real.

      However, to make sure my testing is correct:
      1. I have an ability with PurgeUndeadLevel defined as 0, and a description including display of PurgeUndeadLevel
      2. I have a prestige class giving the ability at lvl 1, and bonussing the PurgeUndeadLevel with TurnLevelUndead at lvl 1.

      I create a new character, using the RSRD 3.5 dataset and the dataset that has my prestige class and it's ability.
      I take 1 level of Cleric, and add Turn Undead under Feats & Abilities/Class Abilities. When I switch to the Character Sheet (displaying Standard.htm) it shows my Turn Level in the Turn Undead block as 1.
      I switch to the summary page and take 1 level of my prestige class.
      I switch back to the character sheet and it shows my Turn Level in the Turn Undead block as 0.

      When I change DEFINE:TurnLevelUndead|TurnLevelBase in the Turn Undead ability in rsrd_abilities_class.lst into DEFINE:TurnLevelUndead|0<TAB>BONUS:VAR|TurnLevelUndead|TurnLevelBase
      and perform exactly the same character creation process, the turn level remains 1.

      If you do not believe me, please try for yourself.

      greetings,

      Jasper Spaans

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]
    • thpr
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2010
        Kar, Not sure I'm following what you're looking for...

        It's a bug report - but we will need data that reproduces this to do much on it... would be helpful to see if the data team can produce a distilled example - if not, we may need to get more of the data set where this happens.

        TP.

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

        > Hi Tom,
        >
        > Not sure which way this one should go going forward, thoughts?

        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "herzogaldilkassach" <herzogaldilkassach@> wrote:
        > >
        > > * bump *
        > >
        > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "herzogaldilkassach" <herzogaldilkassach@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > PCGen 5.16.2
        > > > rsrd + homebrew
        > > >
        > > > I ran into this trying to create an ability for a prestige class that is based on Turn Undead.
        > > >
        > > > When I tried to increase the relevant VAR with the turn undead var, something weird happened. This is (part of) my code:
        > > > CLASS:MySpecialPrc<NEWLINE>
        > > > 1<TAB>BONUS:VAR|PurgeUndeadLevel|TurnLevelUndead
        > > >
        > > > As a result, My Turn undead level (as displayed on the html preview) is set to 0, and the PurgeUndeadLevel remains at 0.
        > > >
        > > > If, instead, I use TurnLevelBase, My Turn Undead level (as displayed) is correct, and the PurgeUndeadLevel is set correctly.
        > > >
        > > > I noticed that TurnLevelUndead is set with a define (DEFINE:TurnLevelUndead|TurnLevelBase) instead of with a bonus (DEFINE:TurnLevelUndead|0<TAB>BONUS:VAR|TurnLevelUndead|TurnLevelBase)
        > > > in the RSRD.
        > > >
        > > > I changed the Turn Undead entry in the RSRD to use the define|0 and bonus|var , and this leads to correct behaviour in my prc.
        > > >
        > > > Conclusion:
        > > >
        > > > 1. Something strange happening when using DEFINE:MyVar1|MyVar2
        > > > I think this should either be disallowed (default define to 0 and remove optional initialization parameter) or fixed
        > > > 2. RSRD should use working data, so change RSRD t use DEFINE:TurnLevelUndead|0 etc.

      • karianna03
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
          Hi Tom,

          Agreed - herzogaldilkassach can you post your relevant data file(s) up the Y! File section?

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
            Uploaded minimalized dataset here:
            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sPsHTDFC5PvnZ2iiyeUIaquQr5lISpwYJ9I0dwAS-awb1wzOP2R9XFuTqaYXTItEICwfWZC5N6LVzfgkmtF3Gw9TEgYdCute9TuwvSKtG1I/%27Need%20Help%20With%27/List%20Files/bugtest.rar

            I assume you have access to the 3.5 RSRD dataset.

            To reproduce:
            load rsrd (3.5 RSRD basics or more) and the BugTest dataset.

            create neutral good human cleric (one lvl).
            Add Turn Undead class ability.
            (check preview: turn undead lvl 1)
            add 1 level of BugTestClass
            (check preview: turn undead lvl 0)