[pathfinder] familiar details

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28 2:29 PM
      PCGen 5.17.2, pathfinder core, bestiary etc.

      I added (strictly, I deleted and re-added) a Bat familiar to a Wiz 9,
      while checking in the PFRPG, and the PFB

      Ability scores: the stats should be same as the Bestiary apart from Int.
      For the Bat this is almost true, except PCGen give the Bat Cha 4 not Cha
      5 as in PFB

      AC - Natural Armour is listed by PCGen as +4, but PFRPG p.83 says +5 for
      Wiz 9.

      Attacks - PFRPG, p.83 "use the baster's BAB", "Use the familiar's Dex or
      Str modifier, whichever is greater, to calculate the familiar's melee
      attack bonus with natural weapons".

      Bite is not listed, but Unarmed Strike is ... here PCGen differs
      from the PFB (which may possibly be in error).
      PFB lists the Bat as "Bite 1D3-4", PCGen gives Unarmed Strike 1D2-5
      With Str 1, I rather agree that Str mod is -5
      Base dice Bite 1D3 vs 1D2. OK, PFB p.302 lists "Diminutive Bite"
      as 1D2 .. but which is right? Is there an official erratum?
      (Doesn't actually matter due a quirk in D20 rules, as minimum damage
      is 1 pt, and 1D3-4, 1D3-5, 1D2-5 all trigger the "min 1 pt"
      regardless of what you roll...)

      Attack bonus is wrong though - and matters for eg Touch spells delivered
      by Bat.
      PCGen lists BAB as +4 (correct for Wiz 9), but lists the Ability mod as
      -5 (ie Str) but PFRPG clearly states "better of Dex or Str", so should
      be +2 (Dex 15), along with +4 to Atk/AC from Size.
      Total attack bonus for Unarmed strike is -1 (-5 + BAB 4)

      CMB, however, does list Ability +2. CMB/CMD total +2/7 which is 4 more
      than natural Bat which is correct given the master's BAB +4

      Skills - max(normal animal ranks, master's ranks) -- does not list
      Linguistics skill, but Wiz has 7 Ranks. (Odd wizard...)

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

    • Saxum Caribetum
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28 2:42 PM
        On 28/05/2010 22:29, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
        > PCGen 5.17.2, pathfinder core, bestiary etc.
        >

        > Bite is not listed, but Unarmed Strike is ... here PCGen differs
        > from the PFB (which may possibly be in error).
        > PFB lists the Bat as "Bite 1D3-4", PCGen gives Unarmed Strike 1D2-5
        > With Str 1, I rather agree that Str mod is -5
        > Base dice Bite 1D3 vs 1D2. OK, PFB p.302 lists "Diminutive Bite"
        > as 1D2 .. but which is right? Is there an official erratum?
        > (Doesn't actually matter due a quirk in D20 rules, as minimum damage
        > is 1 pt, and 1D3-4, 1D3-5, 1D2-5 all trigger the "min 1 pt"
        > regardless of what you roll...)

        ok - how do I add a Natural attack?
        The Bat has none, and it is not listed anywhere in Equipment... so i
        can't give a Bat a Bite attack if it's missing one.

        In contrast, a Hawk (Animal Companion) - conveniently to hand - lists
        "Bite (Natural/Primary)" and "Talons (Natural/Secondary)"

        Is the only way to have the natural attack pre-coded into the LST file?
        What if some mutation/spell/weirdness grants a PC sharp teeth or claws?
        How could I add them?

        Message 3 of 3 , May 28 2:50 PM
          On 28/05/2010 22:42, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
          > On 28/05/2010 22:29, Saxum Caribetum wrote
          > ok - how do I add a Natural attack?
          > The Bat has none, and it is not listed anywhere in Equipment... so i
          > can't give a Bat a Bite attack if it's missing one.
          >
          > In contrast, a Hawk (Animal Companion) - conveniently to hand - lists
          > "Bite (Natural/Primary)" and "Talons (Natural/Secondary)"
          >
          > Is the only way to have the natural attack pre-coded into the LST file?
          > What if some mutation/spell/weirdness grants a PC sharp teeth or claws?
          > How could I add them?

          let me revise that:

          there is a difference between "unarmed attack" and "armed attack", and
          natural weapons are Armed.

          I can make a custom weapon, based on a physical weapon, and Add Type,
          and add Natural.
          BUT I can't tweak an Unarmed Strike to change it from non-lethal,
          unarmed-provokes-AOO, to lethal, armed, no AOO when attack. I can't Add
          Type at all- the dialogue does not mount.

          --
          Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"