Mystery +1 to AC

  • Ainvar G
    Message 1 of 9 , May 28 6:06 AM
      I'm trying to build a PrC with a bonus to AC and have discovered that my test character has a bonus to AC that I can't identify. He's a fighter, no armor in inventory yet, and his AC is consistently one better than his Dexterity would indicate. I remembered Chuck mentioning the troubleshooting.htm output sheet, so I checked there, and it shows

      Armor Class 14 = +10[BASE] +3[STAT]

      Now, I realize that it's been a while since I took arithmetic in school, but that math doesn't add up for me. Any ideas where else I should be looking for my mystery bonus? (This is also with the PrC removed, so that's not a factor, and that should show in the troubleshooting.htm, I believe, anyway.

      AinvarG

    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 9 , May 28 6:07 AM
        PCGen level?
        Datasets loaded?
        Java level?
        Gamemode?
        PC information (stats/levels/etc)?

        David
        Papa.DRB

        Grognard (definition 1)
        My better half and me

        On 5/28/2010 9:06 AM, Ainvar G wrote:
        > I'm trying to build a PrC with a bonus to AC and have discovered that my test character has a bonus to AC that I can't identify. He's a fighter, no armor in inventory yet, and his AC is consistently one better than his Dexterity would indicate. I remembered Chuck mentioning the troubleshooting.htm output sheet, so I checked there, and it shows
        >
        > Armor Class 14 = +10[BASE] +3[STAT]
        >
        > Now, I realize that it's been a while since I took arithmetic in school, but that math doesn't add up for me. Any ideas where else I should be looking for my mystery bonus? (This is also with the PrC removed, so that's not a factor, and that should show in the troubleshooting.htm, I believe, anyway.
      • Stefan Radermacher
        Message 3 of 9 , May 28 6:10 AM
          Is the character small? Or does he have the Dodge feat?

          regards,
          Stefan.

          On Friday 28 May 2010 15:06:08 Ainvar G wrote:
          > I'm trying to build a PrC with a bonus to AC and have discovered that my
          > test character has a bonus to AC that I can't identify. He's a fighter,
          > no armor in inventory yet, and his AC is consistently one better than his
          > Dexterity would indicate. I remembered Chuck mentioning the
          > troubleshooting.htm output sheet, so I checked there, and it shows
          >
          > Armor Class 14 = +10[BASE] +3[STAT]
          >
          > Now, I realize that it's been a while since I took arithmetic in school,
          > but that math doesn't add up for me. Any ideas where else I should be
          > looking for my mystery bonus? (This is also with the PrC removed, so
          > that's not a factor, and that should show in the troubleshooting.htm, I
          > believe, anyway.
          >
          > AinvarG

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
          > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:

        • Joe Medica
          Message 4 of 9 , May 28 6:18 AM
            I think that a Pathfinder Fighter gets an armor class bonus based on level, I don't have the books handy. Are you building a Pathfinder character, or a straight 3.5 one?

            Joe Medica

            Yahoo: cellowyn2
            AOL IM: JoeMedica1031

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
              5.16.2

              Pathfinder Core only

              java version "1.6.0_20"
              Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

              Pathfinder game mode (not beta)

              As stated, he's a fighter. His Dex gives him a +3 to AC, as indicated in the original post. The extraneous point of AC shows up at all levels.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
                Thought of those, but no -- he's human and there are no feats assigned.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
                  Good thought - it is a Pathfinder fighter. However, the armor training class feature doesn't grant a bonus to armor class, it reduces the armor check penalty and improves the dexterity bonus. If it was related to this feature, the mystery AC should vary at different levels, but it's consistently +1 more than expected.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2010
                    Something is wonky. I can't duplicate it, under the same conditions.
                    Please upload the .pcg file that demonstrates the problem and I'll take
                    a look at it.

                    David
                    Papa.DRB

                    Grognard (definition 1)
                    My better half and me

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 7, 2010
                      It was a test character for a class I was trying to create and I think I nuked him. I will have to create him again, but I'm at the end of my break, so it will have to wait. I'm gonna be ticked off if I can't recreate it after all this hassle...