Bug? Spells known for sorcerers in PFRPG

  • Ainvar G
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2010
      Background:

      Per the description of the sorcerer class, p 71 in the Bloodline description, the bonus spells that are granted to the sorcerer as a result of their bloodline do not count against their total spells known for their level. Or, to quote the text, "These spells are in addition to the number of spells given on Table 3–15." Table 3-15 being the Sorcerer Spells Known table where the number of spells available at a given level are provided.

      Running PCGen 5.16.2 with only Pathfinder Core dataset loaded, I created a sorcerer level 1, made all of the selections for a level 1 sorcerer including the draconic (copper) bloodline. Saved that, then added 5 more levels of sorcerer. As a sixth-level sorcerer, he should have 5 known spells + his bloodline spells (Mage Armor). PCGen is not allowing me to select a fifth spell, returning an error that he's already got all of his spells selected for that level (namely, 4 + Mage Armor).

      Is anyone else seeing this? I have not tested in-depth yet and thought that surely someone would have seen and corrected this by now, so before I spend a lot of time on it, I thought I would check here.

      AinvarG
    • Derrik H. Gilmore
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2010
        Just tried to recreate it and at 3rd level PCGen 5.16.2 adds Mage Armour as a spell for a Draconic (Copper) Bloodline Sorcerer, but counts it against your total of 4 spells known

        ----

        Derrik "Gil" Gilmore

        "Dum Spiro, Spero"

        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2010
          I brought this up a long time ago, but then it was pointed out to me that it was working fine; when I double-checked it against the table it was working.

          I just checked and it's working fine--according to the PHB, a 6th Level Sorcerer should have 4 level 1 spells plus his Mage Armor spell.

          On 2 May, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Derrik H. Gilmore wrote:

          > Just tried to recreate it and at 3rd level PCGen 5.16.2 adds Mage Armour as a spell for a Draconic (Copper) Bloodline Sorcerer, but counts it against your total of 4 spells known
          >
          > ----
          >
          > Derrik "Gil" Gilmore
          >
          > "Dum Spiro, Spero"

        • Ainvar G
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2010
            Then we are obviously doing something different. I see nothing in the code to allow for the extra spell without consuming a known spell slot. By what method did you test?

            I did check with the same character at later levels and see the same behavior - bonus known spells using a known spell slot, but should not be. I suspect a fix might be to bonus the known spells by one for the level in question when the bonus known spell is granted.

            I don't think this is unique to draconic bloodlines, either. Unless I'm doing something wrong and there is really nothing wrong here, it likely affects other bloodlines, as well. I see nothing in the code to distinguish between them (other than the spells being granted, of course).

            AinvarG

            I brought this up a long time ago, but then it was pointed out to me that it was working fine; when I double-checked it against the table it was working.

            I just checked and it's working fine--according to the PHB, a 6th Level Sorcerer should have 4 level 1 spells plus his Mage Armor spell.

            On 2 May, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Derrik H. Gilmore wrote:

            > Just tried to recreate it and at 3rd level PCGen 5.16.2 adds Mage Armour as a spell for a Draconic (Copper) Bloodline Sorcerer, but counts it against your total of 4 spells known
            >
            > ----
            >
            > Derrik "Gil" Gilmore
            >
            > "Dum Spiro, Spero"

            ------------------------------------

            Related Lists
            PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Ainvar G
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2010
              I went back to see the comments made against your previous request. I see that there was an existing tracker for it and the comment was that the code was doing what I proposed in my last post, but I don't think the code is doing that any longer. I'll have another look. Always good to learn something....

              ------------------------------------

              Related Lists
              PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2010
                I ran into it too.

                Message 7 of 16 , May 3, 2010
                  Hi Folks,

                  I'm a little confused here -

                  Is there an ISSUE or is it working?

                  What is supposed to happen and what is currently happening?

                  I can fix this in a about six hours, but only if I understand what the
                  issue is. Are you supposed to get a free Bonus Known Spell with a
                  certain selection? Is this not happening?

                  Cheers,

                  On 5/2/2010 8:25 PM, Michael wrote:
                  > I ran into it too.
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Ainvar G<ainvarg@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Background:
                  >>
                  >> Per the description of the sorcerer class, p 71 in the Bloodline description, the bonus spells that are granted to the sorcerer as a result of their bloodline do not count against their total spells known for their level. Or, to quote the text, "These spells are in addition to the number of spells given on Table 3âEUR"15." Table 3-15 being the Sorcerer Spells Known table where the number of spells available at a given level are provided.
                  >>

                  >> Running PCGen 5.16.2 with only Pathfinder Core dataset loaded, I created a sorcerer level 1, made all of the selections for a level 1 sorcerer including the draconic (copper) bloodline. Saved that, then added 5 more levels of sorcerer. As a sixth-level sorcerer, he should have 5 known spells + his bloodline spells (Mage Armor). PCGen is not allowing me to select a fifth spell, returning an error that he's already got all of his spells selected for that level (namely, 4 + Mage Armor).
                  >>
                  >> Is anyone else seeing this? I have not tested in-depth yet and thought that surely someone would have seen and corrected this by now, so before I spend a lot of time on it, I thought I would check here.
                  >>
                  >> AinvarG

                  > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                  PCGen Board of Directors, Admin Silverback
                  Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                • Michael Johnston
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 3, 2010
                    It's working. Ainvar is incorrect when he says a 6th level sorcerer should
                    have 5 known spells plus his bloodline spell. According to the book, a 6th
                    level Sor. should have 4 known spells, plus the 1 bloodline spell. PCGen is
                    doing this just fine.

                    The problem probably comes from the fact that the program bumps up the
                    "KNown Spells" table in the spells column by one, making it APPEAR that one
                    of your known spell slots is being used up by a spell that should not count
                    against known spells. For example, in PCGen, a 6th Level Sorcerer,
                    according tot he Spells Known table in the spells tab, should have 5 known
                    spells. In truth, however, he ought to have 4; the 5th is the bonus spell
                    added automatically due to the sorcerer's bloodline.

                    I hope I haven't confused you further. The bottom line is, it works fine
                    but it appears not to if you don't double-check it agains the book.

                    On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Folks,
                    >
                    > I'm a little confused here -
                    >
                    > Is there an ISSUE or is it working?
                    >
                    > What is supposed to happen and what is currently happening?
                    >
                    > I can fix this in a about six hours, but only if I understand what the
                    > issue is. Are you supposed to get a free Bonus Known Spell with a
                    > certain selection? Is this not happening?
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >

                    > On 5/2/2010 8:25 PM, Michael wrote:
                    > > I ran into it too.
                    > >
                    > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, Ainvar
                    > G<ainvarg@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> Background:
                    > >>
                    > >> Per the description of the sorcerer class, p 71 in the Bloodline
                    > description, the bonus spells that are granted to the sorcerer as a result
                    > of their bloodline do not count against their total spells known for their
                    > level. Or, to quote the text, "These spells are in addition to the number of
                    > spells given on Table 3�EUR"15." Table 3-15 being the Sorcerer Spells Known
                    > table where the number of spells available at a given level are provided.
                    >

                    > >> Running PCGen 5.16.2 with only Pathfinder Core dataset loaded, I created
                    > a sorcerer level 1, made all of the selections for a level 1 sorcerer
                    > including the draconic (copper) bloodline. Saved that, then added 5 more
                    > levels of sorcerer. As a sixth-level sorcerer, he should have 5 known spells
                    > + his bloodline spells (Mage Armor). PCGen is not allowing me to select a
                    > fifth spell, returning an error that he's already got all of his spells
                    > selected for that level (namely, 4 + Mage Armor).
                    > >>
                    > >> Is anyone else seeing this? I have not tested in-depth yet and thought
                    > that surely someone would have seen and corrected this by now, so before I
                    > spend a lot of time on it, I thought I would check here.
                    > >>
                    > >> AinvarG
                    > >>

                    > > ------------------------------------
                    >

                    > > Related Lists
                    > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                    > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
                    > >
                    > > PCGen List File Help:
                    > >
                    > > PCGen Experimental:
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                    > PCGen Board of Directors, Admin Silverback
                    > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                  • Michael Johnston
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 3, 2010
                      Apologies for my typos; I'm working on little sleep and without my reading
                      glasses. Gods, I hate aging! I'm only 38!

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 3, 2010
                        Hi Folks,

                        Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 3, 2010
                          Michael's right - I had not realized the discrepancy between what PCGen said and what the PFRPG Core said.

                          Thanks, Michael for providing this more complete response -- I was still convinced there was an issue until you explained what was going on in this reply.

                          AinvarG

                          ------------------------------------

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 3, 2010
                            Mea culpa, mea culpa -mea maxima culpa - Michael is right. Don't I feel
                            like a schmuck now =-)

                            ----
                            Derrik "Gil" Gilmore
                            "Dum Spiro, Spero"

                            ------------------------------------

                            Related Lists
                            PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                            PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            12:27:00
                          • Ainvar G
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 3, 2010
                              Hey, no need to feel like a schmuck. There's at least four of us (Michael included) that misunderstood what was going on. I'm just glad I asked instead of wondering about it or trying to "work around" the "problem".

                              ________________________________

                              ------------ --------- --------- ------

                              Related Lists
                              PCGen's release site: http://pcgen. sourceforge. net
                              PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki. pcgen.org/
                              PCGen's Roadmap: http://wiki. pcgen.org/ index.php? title=Roadmap
                              PCGen's alpha build: http://pcgen. sourceforge. net/07_autobuild s.php
                              PCGen's Online Docs: http://pcgen- test.org/ autobuilds/ pcgen-docs/ index.html
                              PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
                              http://pcgen. akozakis. id.au/autobuilds /download. html

                              PCGen List File Help: http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ PCGenListFileHel p/

                              PCGen Experimental: http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ pcgen_experiment al/
                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              12:27:00

                            • James Dempsey
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 3, 2010

                                That indicates to me that we need a new way of displaying things too,
                                as the current way is doing a good job of confusing people! Any
                                thoughts on what might work here. We can then take that on as a
                                feature request.

                                Cheers,
                                James Dempsey
                                PCGen Code SB

                              • Saxum Caribetum
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 3, 2010
                                  On 04/05/2010 03:48, James Dempsey wrote:
                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > That indicates to me that we need a new way of displaying things too,
                                  > as the current way is doing a good job of confusing people! Any
                                  > thoughts on what might work here. We can then take that on as a
                                  > feature request.

                                  as a compact display, take a leaf from clerics (Domain spells), and
                                  display the Sorcerer's known spells as "known+bonus", eg "5+1" ?

                                  --
                                  Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
                                  Saga site at http://www.quantal.demon.co.uk/saga/
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 4, 2010
                                    +1

                                    I think that sounds sufficient and hopefully would not involve a lot of time away from the awesome crunch that is being developed behind the scenes.