PCGEN, PAthfinder bestiary, how do I use it?

  • danskmacabre
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2010
      I'm sorry in advance if this is a blindingly obvious question.
      But I've installed the pathfinder bestiary, however I can't see any way to
      actually use it?
      Am I missing something here?

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2010

        Are you using the Pathfinder GameMode?
        Are you Loading the Data Set along with the Core Rules?

        After it is loaded, you should have all the monsters listed in the races.

        Is that what you are asking?

        --
        Andrew

        ________________________________
> [...]

        > What's available at the Yahoo site?
        > -----------------------------------
        >
        > In the Files page there are a number of folders you should know about -
        > there's Campaign+Central folder where lots of user added Campaigns are
        > available. There's a folder for new character sheet templates that aren't
        > included in the standard releases, and there's a folder for Character PCG
        > files when users have problems that they need help diagnosing. Users who
        > want to send in corrections or updates to anything that's included in the
        > official releases of PCGen should upload those files to:
        >
        > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=450173&group_id=36698&func=browse
        >
        > where one of us, including our very own Portal to the Negative Plane, will
        > make sure it gets included in the next release.
        >
        > Thanks, and welcome aboard!
        >
        > Bryan McRoberts (Benevolent Dictator of PCGen), Karianna (Chair Monkey of

        ------------------------------------

        Related Lists
        PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • danskmacabre
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2010
          Yes it's in Pathfinder game mode.
          I imported the bestiary using the Tools/install data options.
          Run that right through.
          I don't see the bestiary races it in the races tabs though.

          Actually I wasn't really sure what to expect, I thought maybe that I would
          be able to generate encounters in the gm gem software, but I can see it
          dosesn't do that.
          Either way, it's not in the races tab in the character generator

          I'm not sure what I've done wrong though, I don't get any particular error
          messages or anything.

          On 22 April 2010 01:47, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Are you using the Pathfinder GameMode?
          > Are you Loading the Data Set along with the Core Rules?
          >
          > After it is loaded, you should have all the monsters listed in the races.
          >
          > Is that what you are asking?
          >
          > --
          > Andrew
          >
          > ________________________________

        • David R. Bender
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 22, 2010
            Did you "move" the Bestiary from the left panel to the right panel and
            Load it?

            Using the Bestiary is a three step process:
            1) Tools/Install (only done once)
            2) On the Source Materials page, select the bestiary and move it from
            the available side to the selected side (left to right)
            3) Load the sources

            You did not mention step 2 in your note.

            David
            Papa.DRB

            Grognard (definition 1)
            My better half and me

            On 4/22/2010 11:52 AM, danskmacabre wrote:
            > Yes it's in Pathfinder game mode.
            > I imported the bestiary using the Tools/install data options.
            > Run that right through.
            > I don't see the bestiary races it in the races tabs though.
            >
            > Actually I wasn't really sure what to expect, I thought maybe that I would
            > be able to generate encounters in the gm gem software, but I can see it
            > dosesn't do that.
            > Either way, it's not in the races tab in the character generator
            >
            > I'm not sure what I've done wrong though, I don't get any particular error
            > messages or anything.
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 22, 2010
              On 4/22/10 11:52 AM, danskmacabre wrote:
              > Yes it's in Pathfinder game mode.
              > I imported the bestiary using the Tools/install data options.
              > Run that right through.
              > I don't see the bestiary races it in the races tabs though.

              Sounds like you installed it but don't have it loaded. In the Sources
              tab are you using the Basic Screen with the big buttons? If so you need
              to switch to the advanced screen because I don't believe the basic
              screen has an option which includes the Besiary. In the advanced scrreen
              you should be able to find the Bestiary in the left pane, double click
              it to add it to the right and hit Load, should be seeing monsters now.

              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Data, Docs& Tracker Chimp
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 22, 2010
                Wahay, I had a play around with it, following exactly what you said from the
                start and I got it working.
                I must of missed something. I think I didn't load the sources properly.

                Thanks for that :)