Re: [pcgen] New UI for PCGen

  • Keith McComb
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 12, 2010
      I like these suggestions, Andrew. I will admit that I like the looks of
      all three on the page, but can see how the Extreme is graphics intensive
      (and therefore like CPU intensive on slower machines).

      Abilities comment is a good one, because I like that this program is
      designed to be programmable by users.

      The red exclamation point would work really well. Being able to have
      something next to what needs to be worked on would make it quite clear -
      you need to pick languages? Click here. You need Feats? Click on that
      tab. Something that clearly stands out from the tab or area that it's in.

      Just my thoughts as a user and NOT a programmer.

      Keith

      Andrew Maitland wrote:

      > I second that.
      >
      > The only thing support wise I'd like to ensure is the Six Abilities
      > are expandable to cover more or less Stat Abilities. I'm not sure if
      > we covered that in the skype discussion last time or not.
      >
      > Also, it may be me; but can we change the icon from a little checkmark
      > on a clipboard to a Red Exclamation Mark '!'... Something that
      > indicates something is needed here. I think a Red Exclamation Mark
      > would be a better eye-catcher and univerally understood then a
      > checkmark in a clipboard that almost blends in with the tabs. Perhaps
      > a Dark Solid Circle with the Exclamation inside it... That's just me
      > though.
      >
      > This is me, but can we have the 'Need Something Done Here' Icon
      > 'space' stay fixed spacewise on the tab (i.e. the tab size stays
      > constant instead of change if the icon is present)... it's a pain to
      > click on a tab only to have the wrong tab opened because the tabs
      > changed size due to an item needing attention.
      >
      > In fact, I don't know how hard this would be, but can we get something
      > like that for the Subtabs...
      >
      > "Ability: Bonuses Remain to be selected" < What is that referencing?
      >
      > -
      > Andrew

    • karianna03
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 14, 2010
        Hi all,

        FYI, I've amalgamated all of the comments on the mailing list onto the talk page for the new Summary tab.

        It's really pleasing to hear that a majority of you are happy with the minimalist 0.2 design and that we're now at the stage of producing small tweaks to that.

        Connor et al will be continuing to code up the latest version and John will work on producing another screenshot with some solutions to the common issues that have been reported.

        Other questions/comments were more for the developers and they've taken them on board although there will be a further rounds of discussion once a working prototype is let loose upon the world.

        Thanks again for the awesome input on the new UI, I think it's going to be a major positive step for PCGen.