Re: [pcgen] New UI for PCGen

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 11, 2010
      On 11/04/2010 14:30, karianna03 wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > There's a new version ready for discussion at:
      >
      > http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Summary#Minimilist_Enhancement_0.2
      >
      > Please comment back here and on the http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Talk:Summary page in the wiki!

      I (almost) always use point-buy for Ability scores -- so it would be
      useful to me to see the points spent on buying abilities: both total
      spend and per-ability.

      I don't see any need to see the sum total of Ability scores (can't think
      where it is used in game system), nor sum total of ability modifier scores.

      I second suggestions for a bolder brighter "this tab needs attention" -
      eg the red exclamation point. (Beware with "red" that some Windows
      colour schemes may use red for borders, rendering red markers
      unintelligible...)

      Remember also that some "need attention" is more important than others -
      eg if you allow the option to spend language points later than 1st level
      (eg when taught a new language by strangers) then "need to spend
      language points" is a low-attention nag", not a "high-attention nag"

      Is (left) handedness really a front-page item, as important as race,
      alignment and deity? It has almost no in-game effect...

      The central statistics block repeats other front-page items like race
      and alignment. You could make some central boxes have pop-over editors
      - click on them and an editor is drawn there. (Makes it look to humans
      like the text is actively editable even though it's not.)

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
    • karianna03
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 14, 2010
        Hi all,

        FYI, I've amalgamated all of the comments on the mailing list onto the talk page for the new Summary tab.

        It's really pleasing to hear that a majority of you are happy with the minimalist 0.2 design and that we're now at the stage of producing small tweaks to that.

        Connor et al will be continuing to code up the latest version and John will work on producing another screenshot with some solutions to the common issues that have been reported.

        Other questions/comments were more for the developers and they've taken them on board although there will be a further rounds of discussion once a working prototype is let loose upon the world.

        Thanks again for the awesome input on the new UI, I think it's going to be a major positive step for PCGen.