Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

BoD Log - 3/15/2010

Expand Messages
  • Andrew Maitland
    *Board of Directors Meeting - Non-Quorum. Edited to fix obvious typos and fit in the post better. [17:59] So we are just about 9pm EDT now
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16 7:15 PM
    • 0 Attachment
      *Board of Directors Meeting - Non-Quorum. Edited to fix obvious typos
      and fit in the post better.


      [17:59] <jamesd[Code_SB]> So we are just about 9pm EDT now right?
      [18:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> Yeah, small group
      [18:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> I have 6:01PDT
      [18:02] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, so small crew again. :(
      [18:02] <@[Chair]Andrew> Two PCGen regulars and two Publishers
      [18:03] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Yeah
      [18:03] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Maybe wait a bit and see if Tir can make it -
      he should have the right time
      [18:03] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Does anyone know what city he is in?
      [18:03] <@[Chair]Andrew> I don't think we can really cover much if
      anything with this few representatives... I'll email him
      [18:04] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Heya
      [18:04] <@[Chair]Andrew> Hi Paul
      [18:04] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Hi Paul
      [18:04] <@[Chair]Andrew> email sent to Tir and Eric, though I think Eric
      is at war
      [18:04] <jamesd[Code_SB]> ???
      [18:05] <@[Chair]Andrew> Eddy!!!!
      [18:05] <@[Chair]Andrew> okay, this is looking much better
      [18:05] <[Chimp]Eddy> Hi all
      [18:05] <jamesd[Code_SB]> That's almost a quorum!
      [18:05] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Yea Eric is at SC something
      [18:05] <[Chimp]Eddy> I don't count for that any more
      [18:06] <@[Chair]Andrew> Alright, let's press on then we have enough -
      Eddy can handle Data Side stuff
      [18:06] <jamesd[Code_SB]> and Tom has sent his apologies so the only
      other possible is Tir
      [18:06] <@[Chair]Andrew> (No Quorum) but enough to have a decent discussion
      [18:06] <@[Chair]Andrew> Glad everyone could make it. These daylight
      savings really muck with the time
      [18:07] <jamesd[Code_SB]> I'll get the reminders right for next time,
      but next meeting is the same time as today - 9pm EDT
      [18:07] <@[Chair]Andrew> This is the Agenga for tonight:
      [18:07] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Stupid Indiana governor
      [18:07] <@[Chair]Andrew> Status on the various 6.0 Projects:
      [18:07] <@[Chair]Andrew>
      [18:07] <@[Chair]Andrew> 1.) UI Overhaul
      [18:07] <@[Chair]Andrew> 2.) LST Editor improvement
      [18:07] <@[Chair]Andrew> 3.) CDOM Improvements
      [18:08] <@[Chair]Andrew> 4.) Website
      [18:08] <@[Chair]Andrew> 5.) And discussion on the RPGIllustrator deal.
      [18:08] <@[Chair]Andrew> James, would care to start with the UI please?
      [18:09] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Sure
      [18:10] <jamesd[Code_SB]> We had a great chat last weekend about the UI
      redesign and provided John some feedback which went into the design Kar
      posted today
      [18:10] <jamesd[Code_SB]> IMO The UI is looking nice and logical and the
      flow of the summary page is much nicer
      [18:10] <@[Chair]Andrew> Agreed, John is really receptive to the
      feedback everyone has given him.
      [18:11] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Absolutely
      [18:11] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Once some the discussion dies down, Connor and
      I will start on setting up the new summary page in the CDOM UI sandbox
      [18:11] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Then people will be able to have a play with it.
      [18:11] <jamesd[Code_SB]> So that is progressing well
      [18:12] <jamesd[Code_SB]> any questions or comments? want to discuss
      specific changes at all?
      [18:12] <[OGL]Nylanfs> I like Eddy's suggestion about using HTML
      [18:12] <@[Chair]Andrew> I saw a recent comment by Eddy regarding the UI
      [18:12] <[OGL]Nylanfs> His latest post
      [18:12] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Yes that is an interesting one
      [18:12] <[Chimp]Eddy> thanks, I get them from time to time :-)
      [18:13] <jamesd[Code_SB]> and would solve some of the issues we have
      when we have different game modes
      [18:13] <@[Chair]Andrew> I'm not sure about the html, but the Floating
      Tab issue is something we should look to remove
      [18:13] <jamesd[Code_SB]> floating tab?
      [18:13] <[OGL]Nylanfs> ?
      [18:13] <@[Chair]Andrew> We have moved away from SAs
      [18:13] <@[Chair]Andrew> Seeing Weapon Profs seems redundant
      [18:13] <[Chimp]Eddy> the Language, SA etc.. tab?
      [18:13] <@[Chair]Andrew> Which leaves just Language Selections
      [18:13] <[Chimp]Eddy> Except you can sometime choose Profs
      [18:13] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Well, the shipped sets have moved away from
      SAs but other homebrew sets may not have
      [18:13] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Hi Anestis
      [18:14] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Hi
      [18:14] <@[Chair]Andrew> Hi Anestis, thanks for making it... :)
      [18:14] <[Chimp]Eddy> Right, all 3 panels offer some option to make a choice
      [18:14] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Not that I have much to report
      [18:14] <@[Chair]Andrew> Just being here makes us Happy ;)
      [18:14] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Have we started?
      [18:14] <@[Chair]Andrew> Yes, 14 minutes ago
      [18:15] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Oh, sorry.
      [18:15] <[OGL]Nylanfs> As long as the Race dropdown isn't a mile long I
      am VERY happy. :)
      [18:15] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Yes that Lang/weapon prof/SA tab is one to
      examine - see what can go on the summary page or if it can be split up
      into specific dialogs used where appropriate
      [18:15] <@[Chair]Andrew> Daylight Savings, makes meeting times change
      [18:15] <@[Chair]Andrew> James - Agreed
      [18:15] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Well, it will have all the races you have
      loaded - might be a mile
      [18:16] <@[Chair]Andrew> As long as the drop down has the same behavior
      with sorting and searching as it does now I'll be happy
      [18:16] <[OGL]Nylanfs> I don't like the way it scrunches the right
      panels now
      [18:16] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Oh as in width - yes that will be something we
      will look at
      [18:16] <[OGL]Nylanfs> on my 1024x768 laptop display it can be annoying
      [18:17] <[OGL]Nylanfs> If when you dropped it down it expanded then it
      would be good
      [18:17] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Agreed
      [18:17] <[OGL]Nylanfs> I sent Kar and John a screenshot of what I see on
      my end
      [18:18] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Might be best to post that somewhere as Connor
      and I will be the ones that have to make it work
      [18:18] <[OGL]Nylanfs> K
      [18:19] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Can we make searchable drop-down work? As in
      start typing and the drop down box opens and goes to the first matching
      entry?
      [18:19] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Not sure it is a standard possibility, but I
      like the concept
      [18:19] <[OGL]Nylanfs> It already does that
      [18:19] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Or does it just go to that line
      [18:19] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Ah, wasn't sure if it did, hence my question
      [18:20] <[OGL]Nylanfs> I think it just goes to the line w/o the dropdown
      [18:20] <@[Chair]Andrew> Yes, it's a nice feature
      [18:21] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Any thoughts on the flow of fields?
      [18:22] <jamesd[Code_SB]> BTW: If anyone hasn't seen the designs, you
      can find them at http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Summary
      [18:24] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Might hand back to Andrew then
      [18:26] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Oh and if anyone is wondering - we already
      support the selection of look and feel via preferences and we are
      intending to continue providing that option
      [18:26] <@[Chair]Andrew> Sorry, Getting distracted by the family
      [18:27] <@[Chair]Andrew> okay, next item then? James, looks like your
      still up if you have anything on LST Editor
      [18:27] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Sure, Well no progress on the LST editor or
      the CDOM improvements
      [18:28] <jamesd[Code_SB]> so that's two agenda items quickly dealt with
      [18:28] <@[Chair]Andrew> wow, awesome work James
      [18:29] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay Website
      [18:29] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Well, not really - progress is slow on the
      code side currently, just a few bug fixes
      [18:29] <@[Chair]Andrew> Anestis, we had a request about PHP and such.
      Any thoughts on the matter?
      [18:30] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> You'll have to remind me on the request
      [18:31] <@[Chair]Andrew> Paul mentioned it - finding it now
      [18:31] <@[Chair]Andrew> And on the php work, do you have a list of what
      requirements we need for the website? My stepdaughter is currently
      dating a decent guy that has his own business setting up and maintaining
      website and forums for smaller entities.
      [18:31] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> I'm trying to find it too. I saw it but was
      busy at the time
      [18:31] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Ah, yes, found it.
      [18:32] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Well, the thing is we have had no updates
      form the person doing the mailing list/forum integration, so I don't
      even know where we are at.
      [18:32] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> I think it might be good to get someone who
      does this kind of work professionally, as they tend to be more disciplined
      [18:33] <@[Chair]Andrew> Anyways, I've not heard any progress on the
      Site. People pop up to work on it, and then we don't get any word
      back... - Anestis agreed.
      [18:33] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> So I say go ahead and tell Paul we'd
      appreciate the help
      [18:33] <@[Chair]Andrew> Kar mentioned someone else who might be able to
      assist.
      [18:33] <@[Chair]Andrew> Paul has a friend, and he needed to know the
      requirements
      [18:33] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> The more people we get the better. I can't
      keep doing almost everything :-)
      [18:33] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Right what I was thinking is do we have a
      document showing how we ideally want it then I could show it to him and
      see what he says
      [18:34] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> No official document. What we want to do is
      have some sort of function or gateway to have any e-mails posted to the
      yahoo group to be posted on the forums, and vice-versa
      [18:35] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> The forum would be setup to reflect the
      current Yahoo Groups for PCGen
      [18:35] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> so Dev, Website, Docs, Code, General, etc
      [18:36] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Currently, we're looking at phpBB I think it
      is, but if there;s other forum software that would work better that your
      friend knows about we'll gladly take a look
      [18:36] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Different incoming mail boxes for each forum right?
      [18:37] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Like it is now
      [18:37] <[OGL]Nylanfs> ?
      [18:37] <@[Chair]Andrew> yeah
      [18:37] <[OGL]Nylanfs> We'd need some way of authenticating the incoming
      mail header to a user account in the forum.
      [18:38] <[OGL]Nylanfs> K, I'll try and give him a call this week or
      weekend and pick his brain a little
      [18:39] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Maybe set up a PCGem GMail account, the
      gateway logs in, and retrieves e-mails, sorts them via the headers, and
      posts them to the forum. It then checks the forums for new posts, grabs
      those, and posts them to the appropriate lists via the GMail account.
      Just a thought
      [18:39] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> As an idea
      [18:40] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Added bonus is the GMail account would then
      be an additional archive of the groups
      [18:40] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> As I said, just an idea
      [18:41] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Any other questions on the mailing list/forum
      integration issue?
      [18:41] <@[Chair]Andrew> I'm good
      [18:41] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Okay, I have a few other things to report on
      [18:42] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Visitor stats for the website. I'm still
      looking into this. If I can't get something by the end of next week we
      may just have to look at using Google ANalaytics
      [18:43] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Also, I plan on moving the wiki off the
      current website and hosting it on the server. This means the wiki will
      be loading from Australia instead of the U.S. Any objections?
      [18:45] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Nope
      [18:45] <@[Chair]Andrew> We'll have to post on the Board Mailing List
      [18:46] <@[Chair]Andrew> We don't have a Quorum to vote for anything
      [18:46] <[OGL]Nylanfs> This in response to the rogue state issue?
      [18:46] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> rogue state issue?
      [18:46] <@[Chair]Andrew> ?
      [18:48] <jamesd[Code_SB]> This is SF blocking access to Iran etc
      [18:48] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> It's more a case of so we have better control
      and we're not paying for a web host (the current one) that doesn't
      provide us with what we need.
      [18:48] <[OGL]Nylanfs> K
      [18:48] <jamesd[Code_SB]> nope that's not related, this is just moving
      from our US host (which we aren't so enamored of) to the VPS
      [18:48] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, I'll post a Poll to vote on for this issue
      [18:49] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> It means the wiki will be down and no editing
      will be available for 48 hours when I announce the move
      [18:49] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Sure, go ahead Andrew
      [18:49] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> I didn't realize this was a non-Quorum meeting
      [18:50] <@[Chair]Andrew> Without Tir, Tom and Eric it's a little hard to
      have the quorum
      [18:50] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Anyway, that's it from me
      [18:50] <@[Chair]Andrew> Paul can stand in for Eric
      [18:50] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Might be best to wait for the UI discussion to
      wind down then Anestis if that's ok
      [18:50] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> Probably a good idea
      [18:50] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, the last item is a discussion for the
      RPGIllustrator deal.
      [18:50] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> But we're in the planning stages yet
      [18:51] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Thanks
      [18:51] <@[Chair]Andrew> Has everyone seen the email posted by Kar
      regarding RPGIllustrator?
      [18:52] <[Chimp]Eddy> Sorry guys, I have to step out. Night
      [18:52] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Yep, I don't have any issues with what he posted
      or they requested.
      [18:52] <@[Chair]Andrew> Night Eddy
      [18:52] <[OGL]Nylanfs> I don't know if Eric saw it yet or not but I
      don't think he'd have any issues with it.
      [18:54] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, it'll be another vote Poll then... Just
      to bring our readers up to speed, I'll post the email
      [18:54] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Cool
      [18:54] <@[Chair]Andrew> Hi Martin,
      [18:54] <@[Chair]Andrew> I'm the owner and proprietor of
      RPGCharacterIllustrations.com. We offer reasonably priced custom
      character portraits to gamers and are in our early months as a service.
      [18:54] <@[Chair]Andrew> I'm curious if we could work out some kind of
      affiliate program.
      [18:54] <@[Chair]Andrew> In PCGen, there's a section for players to
      upload their character portraits. I'd love an option to be included
      where players can request a custom character illustration, and their
      character details are emailed to us, the player then chooses what artist
      they want, purchases a drawing, and we send them back a custom
      illustration of their new character.
      [18:55] <@[Chair]Andrew> Our site is currently being redesigned, but you
      can visit the existing website at www.RPGCharacterIllustrations.com.
      The crux of it is we offer custom portraits for gamers at a reasonable
      price.
      [18:55] <@[Chair]Andrew> Some kind of arrangement between us would
      likely benefit your users, us, and provide some kind of income for your
      organization. I'm not sure how many people use your software, but it's
      likely that this endeavor would at the very least pay for your yearly
      domain name, and could possibly cover your hosting charges and some
      advertising.*
      *[18:55] <@[Chair]Andrew> **The few customers we've had so far have been
      incredibly happy with our work and some have even approached us about
      illustrating adventure modules they're creating. I'd be glad to offer
      you a reference on request. I'd also be glad to show you samples of the
      requests we've had, and the rounds of revisions we've gone through with
      our clients.
      [18:55] <@[Chair]Andrew> I'm really excited about the potential of the
      opportunity and would love to hear any feedback you have.
      [18:56] <@[Chair]Andrew> Please let me know what you think!
      [18:56] <@[Chair]Andrew> Thanks for your time Martin,
      [18:56] <@[Chair]Andrew> Craig Higdon
      [18:56] <@[Chair]Andrew> www.RPGCharacterIllustrations.com
      [18:56] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Initially when I saw the suggestion I didn't
      like it - I wasn't keen to see a commercial link in the program, but
      after looking over the site and thinking about it further, I think it
      could be quite a useful addition
      [18:56] <jamesd[Code_SB]> I also had a look at our portrait tab and
      there is room to add something like this without too much fuss
      [18:56] <[OGL]Nylanfs> I wonder if they'd host the images?
      [18:56] <@[Chair]Andrew> That's the email. I honestly don't have a
      problem with the arrangement. I'll open discussion to our guests here too.
      [18:57] <@[Chair]Andrew> Jon and Paul, did you have any thoughts on this
      discussion?
      [18:57] <[OGL]Nylanfs> They might not like the deep linking though.
      [18:58] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> I don't have a problem. Good for them and
      good for us, as long as it's not done in a pushy way
      [18:58] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Well, that's between the person purchasing the
      portrait and the company - we wouldn't have to do anything specific
      regards linking
      [18:59] <@[Chair]Andrew> yeah, all we're doing is providing an affiliate
      link to get credit
      [18:59] <Thoth___> Well, most of it seems to be technical details, and
      I'm not much of a programmer. I do suspect that - if you start linking
      to commercial services in the program - that you may wind up with a need
      for a special tab or something. There might be a lot of requests.
      [18:59] <[OGL]Nylanfs> I was thinking of the html char sheet. They could
      put in the finish image address, then when they email the html file to
      the DM's or post it they don't have to email the image.
      [19:00] <BPIJonathan> here is the thing to consider as well, would you
      allow everyone that made a similar request access? If so would it
      eventually clutter the program.
      [19:00] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Plus the link to the image when clicked could
      open the lar
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> Each request is decided on a case-by-case basis.
      [19:01] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Could just be added to the Sponsor drop-down at
      the top.
      [19:02] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Or can the image already take an web address...
      [19:02] <jamesd[Code_SB]> @Jon yes that was something I was wondering
      about also - this one seems to fit nicely but yes it does open up the
      gateway to other requests
      [19:02] <jamesd[Code_SB]> We already have the capability for linking
      from sources to publisher sites and purchasing sites
      [19:03] <@[Chair]Andrew> We already have affiliate linking to publishers
      who have agreed. and yes, this opens the gateway, but it's decided upon
      by the entire board.
      [19:03] <jamesd[Code_SB]> I can't think of many other things we would
      interact with really - but then that may be why I am not running my own
      business :)
      [19:04] <BPIJonathan> James: Its something you have to consider before
      implementing such a program.
      [19:04] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Very true
      [19:04] <@[Chair]Andrew> Oh, a character sheet storage server, and a few
      other ideas I'm sure.
      [19:06] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> We'd need a second server for that
      [19:06] <@[Chair]Andrew> No, I was mentioning services others might want
      to link us...
      [19:06] <[Web_2nd]Anestis> ahh
      [19:06] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, most of the people seem favorable to this
      idea.
      [19:06] <jamesd[Code_SB]> There are also questions of how to handle
      multiple sites offering similar services or a change in URL/email
      address etc - they might really be more technical in nature, rather than
      policy
      [19:08] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay folks, I think we'll have the vote on the
      BoD then. Thanks for the awesome feedback
      [19:09] <@[Chair]Andrew> That finishes the agenda items. Open floor to
      anyone who has something they'd like to discuss
      [19:11] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Yeah I'll go
      [19:11] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay James the floor is yours
      [19:12] <jamesd[Code_SB]> When did we want the 5.17.2 release to go out?
      [19:12] <[OGL]Nylanfs> .2?
      [19:12] <jamesd[Code_SB]> (Next alpha)
      [19:12] <@[Chair]Andrew> sooner than later, but only when we have enough
      code work to justify a release
      [19:12] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Did I miss a alpha release?
      [19:12] <jamesd[Code_SB]> I can probably do it on the weekend
      [19:12] <BPIJonathan> Is Gaslight going out on the next train?
      [19:12] <jamesd[Code_SB]> I think we are on 5.17.1 now
      [19:13] <@[Chair]Andrew> Jon, I've not submitted the final changes yet,
      so it'd depend on how fast I am
      [19:13] <BPIJonathan> Ok.
      [19:13] <@[Chair]Andrew> and if Paul or Eric completed the Licensing Review
      [19:13] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Happy to wait for that if it isn't too long -
      just think it has been a while wince we did an alpha
      [19:14] <jamesd[Code_SB]> *since
      [19:14] <@[Chair]Andrew> it has been... I can probably make the weekend
      deadline... but only if Paul N or Eric actually did the OGL portion.
      [19:14] <[OGL]Nylanfs> I think Eric was handling it because I hadn't
      seen the dataset or the OGL section
      [19:15] <jamesd[Code_SB]> k, so it is pending Eric returning from his
      journey
      [19:15] <@[Chair]Andrew> Jon - it won't really matter if we make the
      deadline or not, we can always make it an OOC release
      [19:15] <@[Chair]Andrew> just like the current pathfinder data sets
      [19:15] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Yes this is only an alpha
      [19:16] <jamesd[Code_SB]> and presumably you would want it shipped to
      work with the current prod release
      [19:17] <@[Chair]Andrew> Does anyone else have any further business?
      [19:17] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Other question is how are people going with Jira?
      [19:17] <@[Chair]Andrew> JIRA - needs some small refining, but so far
      I'm satisfied with the results
      [19:18] <jamesd[Code_SB]> cool
      [19:18] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Honestly haven't been able to try it, been
      working 50-60 hour weeks since Sept.
      [19:18] <jamesd[Code_SB]> ouch
      [19:18] <@[Chair]Andrew> Wow Paul, you competing with me?
      [19:18] <[OGL]Nylanfs> Finally starting to slow down to 40 hrs :)
      [19:18] <@[Chair]Andrew> *me jealous
      [19:19] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, unless anyone else has something else to
      add.... I'm going to call it a night. *bangs Gavel* Thanks for coming
      everyone.*

      --

      Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
      Unique Title "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"



      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.