Re: New UI for PCGen

  • karianna03
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 11, 2010
      In Theory PCGen has always been skinnable, I suspect it may take some effort to figure out how to create the theme packs, but it's something we'll look into.

      The fact is that most users will have their own preferences, but we do need a more user friendly UI as the default in order not to lose users that come in for the first impression look @ PCGen.

      I think prominently offering users a choice of UI on start up may be wise as well.

      Again, we've a long path to travel on this one, but I for one am glad we're in a position to finally make some changes :)

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:

      > Skinnable is good, if we have someone who wants to do that. As long as we
      > can turn it off
      > and get something that looks reasonably like system default, then I have no
      > objection to
      > allowing people to make their copy look "horrible"*.
      > andrew
      >

      > On 11 March 2010 01:14, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:
      >
      > > 3) The Summary is okay, the UI "needs" to be spiffed dp for new users. But
      > > it needs to be skinnable, for the ones that are used to it, or are playing
      > > in non-fantasy systems (note make it an option setable by the
      > > gamemode/dataset). Also we should keep in mind that not all systems will
      > > have the 6 (or 7 with deities) stats that d20 has.
      > >
      > > 2) I guess I'm a little confused by the drop-down issue. I'll need to look
      > > at that.
      > >
      > > 4) One thing that might help users is making the filters more friendly I
      > > have to admit that after all this time I still have problems the filters.
      > >
      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all,
      > > >
      > > > So there has been a fair amount of discussions and some preliminary work
      > > on the UI overhaul of PCGen.
      > > >
      > > > I've taken some time to re-organise the UI Overhaul discussion pages in
      > > the Wiki and would love for you to go and revisit them and comment on the
      > > new material!
      > > >
      > > > In particular we have:
      > > >
      > > > 1.) The start page for the overall UI effort:
      > > http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=UI_Overhaul
      > > >
      > > > 2.) A page covering the changes in Sort Dropdown wording we'd like to
      > > make: http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Sort_Dropdowns
      > > >
      > > > 3.) And last but definitely not least an exciting new Summary screen shot
      > > to discuss: http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Summary
      > > >
      > > > Please do discuss these pages either here on the mailing list or on the
      > > _discussion_ section for each of those relevant pages (links are provided
      > > for you on each page).
      > > >
      > > > Enjoy!!

      > > Related Lists
      > > PCGen's Online Docs:
      > > http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
      > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
      > > http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html
      > >
      > > PCGen List File Help:

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • karianna03
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 14, 2010
        Hi all,

        FYI, I've amalgamated all of the comments on the mailing list onto the talk page for the new Summary tab.

        It's really pleasing to hear that a majority of you are happy with the minimalist 0.2 design and that we're now at the stage of producing small tweaks to that.

        Connor et al will be continuing to code up the latest version and John will work on producing another screenshot with some solutions to the common issues that have been reported.

        Other questions/comments were more for the developers and they've taken them on board although there will be a further rounds of discussion once a working prototype is let loose upon the world.

        Thanks again for the awesome input on the new UI, I think it's going to be a major positive step for PCGen.