Re: [pcgen] New Potential Logo

  • Anestis Kozakis
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
      On 2010/03/09 4:10 PM -0600, Jonathan Thompson gave their opinion
      about the topic of Re: [pcgen] New Potential Logo...
      >It seems kind of busy too me, too much so, but thats just MHO on it.
      >
      >On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:58 PM, karianna03 <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Hi all,
      >>
      >> John (one of the Graphic Designers) has created a new logo for PCGen that
      >> may perhaps indicate a little better as to what PCGen is capable of. It
      >> would be great to have some feedback here or on the discussion page for this
      >> alternative logo idea.
      >>
      >> http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Logo

      I have to agree that it's too busy. I didn't know where to look or
      what to concentrate on. My eyes kept wandering, focussing on
      different sections instead of seeing the overall whole picture.

      >--
      >Jonathan M. Thompson
      >Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com) / Solar Flare Productions

      Anestis.
      --
      Scissorsmith - "At the fork in the road, take the rocky path. it
      will lead you to the dragon's lair",
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
        I have to say I agree with the other opinions expressed -- and I like the existing logo as it is, besides.

        ________________________________
        John (one of the Graphic Designers) has created a new logo for PCGen that may perhaps indicate a little better as to what PCGen is capable of. It would be great to have some feedback here or on the discussion page for this alternative logo idea.

        http://wiki. pcgen.org/ index.php? title=Logo

      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
          Uh, I agree with Andrew . . .

          Maredudd

          On Mar 9, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Andrew Wilson wrote:

          > On 9 March 2010 21:58, karianna03 <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > John (one of the Graphic Designers) has created a new logo for
          > PCGen that
          > > may perhaps indicate a little better as to what PCGen is capable
          > of. It
          > > would be great to have some feedback here or on the discussion
          > page for this
          > > alternative logo idea.
          > >
          > > http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Logo
          >
          > It's not exactly hideous. Not exactly. I prefer the current logo.
          >
          > andrew

        • Mark Morrill
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
            The potential new logo is reflective of what the product does. I like it.
          • cpaquin42
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
              I like the direction that John is taking, but agree that this concept is a tad busy. Just tossing it out there, but what about using color instead of sticking with the monochrome palette?

              Keep up the good work, John!

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > John (one of the Graphic Designers) has created a new logo for PCGen that may perhaps indicate a little better as to what PCGen is capable of. It would be great to have some feedback here or on the discussion page for this alternative logo idea.
              >
              > http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Logo

            • Lachlan MacLean
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
                Umm, I would have to say that I like the new one, although it's quite
                a bit more busy then the current, it does depict more to what the
                software can do.

                Lachlan

                At 06:56 PM 3/9/2010, you wrote:
                >Uh, I agree with Andrew . . .
                >
                >Maredudd
                >
                >On Mar 9, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Andrew Wilson wrote:
                >
                > > On 9 March 2010 21:58, karianna03 <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hi all,
                > > >
                > > > John (one of the Graphic Designers) has created a new logo for
                > > PCGen that
                > > > may perhaps indicate a little better as to what PCGen is capable
                > > of. It
                > > > would be great to have some feedback here or on the discussion
                > > page for this
                > > > alternative logo idea.
                > > >
                > > > http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Logo
                > >
                > > It's not exactly hideous. Not exactly. I prefer the current logo.
                > >
                > > andrew

              • Nitehawk Jarrett
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
                  On 3/9/10 7:28 PM, "cpaquin42" <cpaquin42@...> wrote:

                  > I like the direction that John is taking, but agree that this concept is a tad
                  > busy. Just tossing it out there, but what about using color instead of
                  > sticking with the monochrome palette?
                  >
                  > Keep up the good work, John!

                  IMO using color with same design would still be too busy. I have a degree in
                  graphic design myself and one thing they taught when it came to logos was to
                  keep it simple. Maybe the current design but inside a d20 shape instead of a
                  circle?
                  I'm not saying the design is terrible, just that it's not a very good logo.
                  It would work for something else like wallpapers and such.

                  --
                  Nitehawk Jarrett
                  Publisher

                  Visit our stores:
                  http://www.cafepress.com/outcastia
                  http://www.cafepress.com/nitehawk
                  http://www.cafepress.com/drakmaralliance
                • Pythor
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
                    I agree. It's a perfect representation of what PCGen does for us. For
                    those who think it's too busy, maybe lose one set of arms/legs? That would
                    open it up more and make it a little less distracting.

                    Lee

                    On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Mark Morrill <cetuscript@...> wrote:

                    > The potential new logo is reflective of what the product does. I like it.

                    > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                    > PCGen's Online Docs:
                    > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
                    >
                    > PCGen List File Help:

                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
                      Nod - I wasn't suggesting just colorizing the proposed design. Instead, if
                      John is looking to move from the current, simple design to a more elaborate
                      one that more accurately depicts what PC Gen is all about, color could be
                      used too. Green elves, Purple magic, Gold Holy Symbols, Silver steel, etc.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 9, 2010
                        At first I was like "Wow, that's quite impressive" and then I'm busy for
                        the next minute or three figuring out what it means. I think it's cool
                        one side is fantasy, and the other is sci-fi.

                        As far as graphics go, I think it would work. But, then again, I'm no
                        expert. Busy it may be, but it's a pretty impressive thing.

                        I'm good either way.

                        Good Job John, critics are abundant. I know it takes work to get
                        something. But hang in there and take the criticism for what it's worth.

                        On 3/9/2010 7:13 PM, Chris wrote:
                        > Nod - I wasn't suggesting just colorizing the proposed design. Instead, if
                        > John is looking to move from the current, simple design to a more elaborate
                        > one that more accurately depicts what PC Gen is all about, color could be
                        > used too. Green elves, Purple magic, Gold Holy Symbols, Silver steel, etc.
                        >
                        > On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Nitehawk Jarrett<
                        > publisher@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> On 3/9/10 7:28 PM, "cpaquin42"<cpaquin42@...<cpaquin42%40gmail.com>>
                        >> wrote:
                        >>

                        >>> I like the direction that John is taking, but agree that this concept is
                        >>>
                        >> a tad
                        >>
                        >>> busy. Just tossing it out there, but what about using color instead of
                        >>> sticking with the monochrome palette?
                        >>>
                        >>> Keep up the good work, John!
                        >>>
                        >> IMO using color with same design would still be too busy. I have a degree
                        >> in
                        >> graphic design myself and one thing they taught when it came to logos was
                        >> keep it simple. Maybe the current design but inside a d20 shape instead of
                        >> circle?
                        >> I'm not saying the design is terrible, just that it's not a very good logo.
                        >> It would work for something else like wallpapers and such.
                        >>

                        >> --
                        >> Nitehawk Jarrett
                        >> Publisher
                        >> Nitehawk Interactive Games
                        >> http://www.nitehawk-games.biz
                        >>
                        >> Visit our stores:
                        >> http://www.cafepress.com/outcastia
                        >> http://www.cafepress.com/nitehawk
                        >> http://www.cafepress.com/drakmaralliance

                        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                      • karianna03
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 10, 2010
                          Hi all,

                          As per the UI discussions we'll be taking feedback on this alternative logo I suspect John will then put up some other alternatives.

                          We certainly don't have to change, but I think most will agree that there's no harm in exploring new ideas from time to time :).

                          > At first I was like "Wow, that's quite impressive" and then I'm busy for
                          > the next minute or three figuring out what it means. I think it's cool
                          > one side is fantasy, and the other is sci-fi.
                          >
                          > As far as graphics go, I think it would work. But, then again, I'm no
                          > expert. Busy it may be, but it's a pretty impressive thing.
                          >
                          > I'm good either way.
                          >
                          > Good Job John, critics are abundant. I know it takes work to get
                          > something. But hang in there and take the criticism for what it's worth.
                          >
                          > On 3/9/2010 7:13 PM, Chris wrote:
                          > > Nod - I wasn't suggesting just colorizing the proposed design. Instead, if
                          > > John is looking to move from the current, simple design to a more elaborate
                          > > one that more accurately depicts what PC Gen is all about, color could be
                          > > used too. Green elves, Purple magic, Gold Holy Symbols, Silver steel, etc.
                          > >
                          > > On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Nitehawk Jarrett<
                          > > publisher@...> wrote:

                          > >> a tad

                          > >> IMO using color with same design would still be too busy. I have a degree
                          > >> in
                          > >> graphic design myself and one thing they taught when it came to logos was
                          > >> keep it simple. Maybe the current design but inside a d20 shape instead of
                          > >> circle?
                          > >> I'm not saying the design is terrible, just that it's not a very good logo.
                          > >> It would work for something else like wallpapers and such.
                          > >>

                          > >> --
                          > >> Nitehawk Jarrett
                          > >> Publisher
                          > >> Nitehawk Interactive Games
                          > >> http://www.nitehawk-games.biz
                          > >>
                          > >> Visit our stores:
                          > >> http://www.cafepress.com/outcastia
                          > >> http://www.cafepress.com/nitehawk
                          > >> http://www.cafepress.com/drakmaralliance

                          > > Related Lists

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > --
                          >
                          > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                          > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                        • Tom
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 10, 2010
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                            > Hi all,
                            >
                            > John (one of the Graphic Designers) has created a new logo for PCGen that may perhaps indicate a little better as to what PCGen is capable of. It would be great to have some feedback here or on the discussion page for this alternative logo idea.
                            >
                            > http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Logo

                            I much prefer the existing logo compared to the 1st proposal. Its much cleaner. The proposed logo almost looks like a step backward. And I think it may actually turn away potential new users because it does not convey a sense of professionalism in the software. Which is not the message that should be sent.

                            Instead of tweaking the current logo, how about ditching the man completely. This opens up many more design possibilities.
                          • Arjan
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 10, 2010
                              Although I like what John tries to say with this logo, I think it is way to busy. I like the original better even though that one's very busy as well. Both of them don't really work as a desktop icon for example. Neither do they work on the task-bar. Yes, I'm a windows user :)

                              Why not just ditch the man, as has been suggested elsewhere, and start over. I would like a clean logo that works in a splash-screen but also as a (very) small icon somewhere. Unfortunately I'm neither a designer nor very creative, so I cannot help there.

                              Thanx,
                              Arjan

                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                              > Hi all,
                              >
                              > John (one of the Graphic Designers) has created a new logo for PCGen that may perhaps indicate a little better as to what PCGen is capable of. It would be great to have some feedback here or on the discussion page for this alternative logo idea.
                              >
                              > http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Logo

                            • John Carimando
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 10, 2010
                                Hey Everyone,

                                Thank you for the feedback, positive or negative, it will help me design a better logo! In a day or two I will send out a short questionnaire about the proposed logo and alternatives. This will help me focus on our specific logo needs.

                                John

                                ________________________________

                                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups. com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@.. .> wrote:

                                > At first I was like "Wow, that's quite impressive" and then I'm busy for
                                > the next minute or three figuring out what it means. I think it's cool
                                > one side is fantasy, and the other is sci-fi.
                                >
                                > As far as graphics go, I think it would work. But, then again, I'm no
                                > expert. Busy it may be, but it's a pretty impressive thing.
                                >
                                > I'm good either way.
                                >
                                > Good Job John, critics are abundant. I know it takes work to get
                                > something. But hang in there and take the criticism for what it's worth.
                                >
                                > On 3/9/2010 7:13 PM, Chris wrote:
                                > > Nod - I wasn't suggesting just colorizing the proposed design. Instead, if
                                > > John is looking to move from the current, simple design to a more elaborate
                                > > one that more accurately depicts what PC Gen is all about, color could be
                                > > used too. Green elves, Purple magic, Gold Holy Symbols, Silver steel, etc.
                                > >
                                > > On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Nitehawk Jarrett<
                                > > publisher@.. .> wrote:

                                > >> a tad

                                > >> IMO using color with same design would still be too busy. I have a degree
                                > >> in
                                > >> graphic design myself and one thing they taught when it came to logos was
                                > >> keep it simple. Maybe the current design but inside a d20 shape instead of
                                > >> circle?
                                > >> I'm not saying the design is terrible, just that it's not a very good logo.
                                > >> It would work for something else like wallpapers and such.
                                > >>

                                > >> --
                                > >> Nitehawk Jarrett
                                > >> Publisher
                                > >> Nitehawk Interactive Games
                                > >> http://www.nitehawk -games.biz
                                > >>
                                > >> Visit our stores:
                                > >> http://www.cafepres s.com/outcastia
                                > >> http://www.cafepres s.com/nitehawk
                                > >> http://www.cafepres s.com/drakmarall iance

                                > > Related Lists
                                > > PCGen's release site: http://pcgen. sourceforge. net
                                > > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki. pcgen.org/
                                > > PCGen's Roadmap: http://wiki. pcgen.org/ index.php? title=Roadmap
                                > > PCGen's alpha build: http://pcgen. sourceforge. net/07_autobuild s.php
                                > > PCGen's Online Docs: http://pcgen- test.org/ autobuilds/ pcgen-docs/ index.html
                                > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs: http://pcgen. akozakis. id.au/autobuilds /download. html
                                > >
                                > > PCGen List File Help: http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ PCGenListFileHel p/
                                > >
                                > > PCGen Experimental: http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ pcgen_experiment al/
                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                > >

                                > --
                                >
                                > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                              • Eric Jarman
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 10, 2010
                                  I like how you're trying to convey what the program does in the new logo
                                  proposal.
                                  I think that the new one ought to split the difference between the
                                  complexity of your proposal, and the simplicity of the original. Maybe
                                  something like keeping the part of the man in an iron cross pose, and
                                  replacing the further spread arms and legs with a sword, a staff, a rifle,
                                  and a ray gun. (I can't draw much more than still-lifes myself, so I'm not
                                  sure if my concept would look good or bad.)

                                • Paul
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 10, 2010
                                    While I do like the image, but as a logo I think I have to agree it's too busy, and plus we've been using the Vitruvian Man logo since Brian adopted it. I feel that it has definite market identity.