[Pathfinder] Druid Domains and Animal Companions

  • shadowrose_00
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
      So, I have a 4th level Druid that took the Druid Domain for Nature's Bond. The fun part is, she took the Animal Domain which grants an Animal Companion at 4th level. As far as I can tell, it's.. not doing this. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010

        On 2/27/2010 4:20 AM, shadowrose_00 wrote:
        > So, I have a 4th level Druid that took the Druid Domain for Nature's Bond. The fun part is, she took the Animal Domain which grants an Animal Companion at 4th level. As far as I can tell, it's.. not doing this. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

        You mean you can get both by taking a certain domain? Sheesh, looks
        like we'll have to investigate this.

        [Looks]

        Yeah, the ability is granted, but it's not coded properly to actually
        grant an Animal Companion

        Data Monkey -
        pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook_abilities_class.lst

        Line 114 in my copy has the ability, but grants no Animal Companion List.

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
          If you mean to you get two animal companions, the answer is No.

          Nature's Bond gives you either an Animal Companion, *or* a Cleric Domain
          (Air, Animal, Plant, or a couple of others). The Animal Domain also
          grants an Animal Companion at 4th level so the Druid has some spells and
          a companion that is weaker than normal.

          David
          Papa.DRB

          Grognard (definition 1)
          My better half and me

          On 2/27/2010 4:09 PM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > On 2/27/2010 4:20 AM, shadowrose_00 wrote:
          >
          >> So, I have a 4th level Druid that took the Druid Domain for Nature's Bond. The fun part is, she took the Animal Domain which grants an Animal Companion at 4th level. As far as I can tell, it's.. not doing this. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
          >>

          > You mean you can get both by taking a certain domain? Sheesh, looks
          > like we'll have to investigate this.
          >
          > [Looks]
          >
          > Yeah, the ability is granted, but it's not coded properly to actually
          > grant an Animal Companion
          >
          > Data Monkey -
          > pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook_abilities_class.lst
          >
          > Line 114 in my copy has the ability, but grants no Animal Companion List.
        • Shadowrose
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
            Is there any easy way to fix that?

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
              On 2/27/2010 2:34 PM, David R. Bender wrote:
              > If you mean to you get two animal companions, the answer is No.
              >
              > Nature's Bond gives you either an Animal Companion, *or* a Cleric Domain
              > (Air, Animal, Plant, or a couple of others). The Animal Domain also
              > grants an Animal Companion at 4th level so the Druid has some spells and
              > a companion that is weaker than normal.

              The problem is the Domain isn't actually granting an Animal Companion
              period. It has the Ability Set up, but the ability doesn't do anything
              in regards to actually granting an Animal Companion at the moment.
              > David
              > Papa.DRB
              >
              > Grognard (definition 1)
              > My better half and me
              >
              > On 2/27/2010 4:09 PM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
              >
              >> Hi,
              >>
              >> On 2/27/2010 4:20 AM, shadowrose_00 wrote:
              >>

              >>> So, I have a 4th level Druid that took the Druid Domain for Nature's Bond. The fun part is, she took the Animal Domain which grants an Animal Companion at 4th level. As far as I can tell, it's.. not doing this. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
              >>>

              >> You mean you can get both by taking a certain domain? Sheesh, looks
              >> like we'll have to investigate this.
              >>
              >> [Looks]
              >>
              >> Yeah, the ability is granted, but it's not coded properly to actually
              >> grant an Animal Companion
              >>
              >> Data Monkey -
              >> pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook_abilities_class.lst
              >>
              >> Line 114 in my copy has the ability, but grants no Animal Companion List.

              > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
            • Eric C Smith
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                Hi Folks!

                I'm going to run a test or two on a fix for this one. I'll post it if
                it works . . .

                Maredudd

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010

                  On 2/27/2010 3:25 PM, Shadowrose wrote:
                  > Is there any easy way to fix that?

                  Yes and no. Can it be fixed easily, sure. But the code has to be tweaked
                  to work with the actual domain and not to work as the Druid Ability.
                  Hence it's not exactly an easy fix, but fixed it can be. Just need
                  someone to actually fix it.

                  I need to go to bed for work. I'll flag this on the Pathfinder group so
                  one of the monkeys there can fix this issue.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                    Thanks Eric,

                    Don't forget to open/close a tracker for it as well if you commit the
                    fix... Thanks

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                      Hi Folks!

                      Will do Andrew, though I'm not sure how to work Joomla yet. I'll take
                      a shot.

                      The fix involves adding the following to the
                      pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook_abilities_class.lst file.

                      Add to the Cleric Animal Domain the following tags (inline, TAB
                      separated):

                      DEFINE:CompLevel|CL-3
                      FOLLOWERS:Animal Companion|1
                      COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|RACETYPE=Companion

                      Add to the Druid Animal Domain the following tag (inline):

                      ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Animal Companion ~ Animal Domain|
                      PRECLASS:1,Druid=4

                      I have tested this fix and it works for both the Cleric with the
                      Animal domain and the Druid with the Animal Druid domain.

                      Maredudd

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
                        Trackered:

                        https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2960500&group_id=25576&atid=750091

                        I'm trying to get to the JIRA site. I'll add a tracker there as soon
                        as I figure how to find it and remember mty login info . . .:-)

                        Maredudd

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 28, 2010
                          Hi Eric,

                          jira.pcgen.org

                          or is it jira.pcgen-test.org

                          Try one of those. Going to work bright and early... (Well, not really, sun won't be up for another three hours...)

                          - Andrew

                          ________________________________
                          I'm trying to get to the JIRA site. I'll add a tracker there as soon
                          as I figure how to find it and remember mty login info . . .:-)

                          Maredudd

                          On Feb 27, 2010, at 10:52 PM, Eric C Smith wrote:

                          > Hi Folks!
                          >
                          > Will do Andrew, though I'm not sure how to work Joomla yet. I'll take
                          > a shot.
                          >
                          > The fix involves adding the following to the
                          > pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook_abilities_class.lst file.
                          >
                          > Add to the Cleric Animal Domain the following tags (inline, TAB
                          > separated):
                          >
                          > DEFINE:CompLevel|CL-3
                          > FOLLOWERS:Animal Companion|1
                          > COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|RACETYPE=Companion
                          >
                          > Add to the Druid Animal Domain the following tag (inline):
                          >
                          > ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Animal Companion ~ Animal Domain|
                          > PRECLASS:1,Druid=4
                          >
                          > I have tested this fix and it works for both the Cleric with the
                          > Animal domain and the Druid with the Animal Druid domain.
                          >
                          > Maredudd
                          >
                          > On Feb 27, 2010, at 10:24 PM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                          >
                          > > Thanks Eric,
                          > >
                          > > Don't forget to open/close a tracker for it as well if you commit
                          > the
                          > > fix... Thanks
                          > >
                          > > On 2/27/2010 6:57 PM, Eric C Smith wrote:
                          > >> Hi Folks!
                          > >>
                          > >> I'm going to run a test or two on a fix for this one. I'll post
                          > it if
                          > >> it works . . .
                          > >>
                          > >> Maredudd

                          > also

                          > >> Related Lists
                          > >> PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                          > >> PCGen's Roadmap: http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Roadmap
                          > >> PCGen's Online Docs: http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
                          > >> PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs: http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html

                          > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >>

                          > > --
                          > >
                          > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                          > > Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                          > > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                          > > Related Lists

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          ------------------------------------

                          Related Lists

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 28, 2010
                            Thanks! I added the updated file out of SVN and it works swimmingly.

                            > Hi Folks!
                            >
                            > Will do Andrew, though I'm not sure how to work Joomla yet. I'll take
                            > a shot.
                            >
                            > The fix involves adding the following to the
                            > pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook_abilities_class.lst file.
                            >
                            > Add to the Cleric Animal Domain the following tags (inline, TAB
                            > separated):
                            >
                            > DEFINE:CompLevel|CL-3
                            > FOLLOWERS:Animal Companion|1
                            > COMPANIONLIST:Animal Companion|RACETYPE=Companion
                            >
                            > Add to the Druid Animal Domain the following tag (inline):
                            >
                            > ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Animal Companion ~ Animal Domain|
                            > PRECLASS:1,Druid=4
                            >
                            > I have tested this fix and it works for both the Cleric with the
                            > Animal domain and the Druid with the Animal Druid domain.
                            >
                            > Maredudd

                          • Tir Gwaith
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 28, 2010
                              On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
                              > Hi Folks!
                              >
                              > Will do Andrew, though I'm not sure how to work Joomla yet. I'll take
                              > a shot.
                              >
                              > The fix involves adding the following to the
                              > pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook_abilities_class.lst file.
                              >
                              > Add to the Cleric Animal Domain the following tags (inline, TAB
                              > separated):
                              >
                              > DEFINE:CompLevel|CL-3

                              In an Domain object? CL by itself works in a Domain object? That's
                              something wonky.

                              PCGen LST Chimp
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 28, 2010
                                Yeah, that shouldn't be working at all... Domains have a variable all set up, you should just tie into that

                                VariableName-3 instead of the CL-3

                                - Andrew

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 28, 2010
                                  Hi Folks!

                                  Tir Gwaith wrote:
                                  > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Eric C Smith
                                  > <maredudd@...> wrote:
                                  > > Hi Folks!
                                  > >
                                  > > Will do Andrew, though I'm not sure how to work Joomla yet. I'll
                                  > take
                                  > > a shot.
                                  > >
                                  > > The fix involves adding the following to the
                                  > > pathfinder_rpg_core_rulebook_abilities_class.lst file.
                                  > >
                                  > > Add to the Cleric Animal Domain the following tags (inline, TAB
                                  > > separated):
                                  > >
                                  > > DEFINE:CompLevel|CL-3
                                  >
                                  > In an Domain object? CL by itself works in a Domain object? That's
                                  > something wonky.

                                  Its in the Ability Object granted by the domain.

                                  Maredudd
                                • Eric C Smith
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 28, 2010
                                    Hi Folks!

                                    Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                    > Yeah, that shouldn't be working at all... Domains have a variable
                                    > all set up, you should just tie into that
                                    >
                                    > VariableName-3 instead of the CL-3

                                    Hmmm, I've looked at the Domain Objecvt abnd I see what you mean. I'll

                                    Maredudd