Re: [pcgen] Re: Multiple "Character Stats" for different campaigns

  • Terry Milnes
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2010
      This is correct, but if I use 15 point buy, PC-Gen defaults to this. So I
      go in to make my next character and realize after selecting deity then race
      then class and domain, it says 15 point buy and I either have to start over
      changing the preference, or continue on and ignore the error message. I
      would like for the preference to have the ability to change after I am half
      way through building a token. I have tried changing the preference then
      close and re-open, but it is as if the point buy becomes hard coded into the
      character after you start.

      On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:

      > If you go into Preferences>Character>Character Stats
      >
      > At the bottom of that tab is "Purchase Mode Configuration" In there you can
      > setup different point build amounts.
      >

      > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/menupages/settings/character/characterabilityscoreoption.html
      >

      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, Terry Milnes
      > <neofax99@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I play PF in three different games. Each one uses different "buy rates"
      > as
      > > in one uses High fantasy with a 20 point buy and the next uses a standard
      > > buy of 15. Also, two use the fast experience progression and the last
      > uses
      > > medium. I would like to be able to have PC-Gen switch after I have
      > already
      > > started changing the stats. Currently, I do not think this is possible(or
      > > do not know how). Would someone explain to me how to get PC-Gen to set
      > the
      > > buy-rates correctly. TIA!

    • Ainvar G
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2010
        I don't know the nuts-and-bolts behind the scenes, but I created a pair of characters with different purchase modes and saved them immediately -- without making any choices, just creating new and saving -- and I can see the purchase mode in the .pcg file.

        Then I opened one of them again, changed my preferences to a different purchase mode, and saved the character. I closed it and looked at the .pcg file. I see that the purchase mode had changed.

        It appears to me that what you want is possible, but the character needs to be saved and closed and re-opened after making the preferences changes in order for you to use those changes.

        Just a theory until a more informed monkey comes along.

        This is correct, but if I use 15 point buy, PC-Gen defaults to this. So I
        go in to make my next character and realize after selecting deity then race
        then class and domain, it says 15 point buy and I either have to start over
        changing the preference, or continue on and ignore the error message. I
        would like for the preference to have the ability to change after I am half
        way through building a token. I have tried changing the preference then
        close and re-open, but it is as if the point buy becomes hard coded into the
        character after you start.

        On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:

        > If you go into Preferences>Character>Character Stats
        >
        > At the bottom of that tab is "Purchase Mode Configuration" In there you can
        > setup different point build amounts.
        >

        > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/menupages/settings/character/characterabilityscoreoption.html
        >

        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, Terry Milnes
        > <neofax99@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I play PF in three different games. Each one uses different "buy rates"
        > as
        > > in one uses High fantasy with a 20 point buy and the next uses a standard
        > > buy of 15. Also, two use the fast experience progression and the last
        > uses
        > > medium. I would like to be able to have PC-Gen switch after I have
        > already
        > > started changing the stats. Currently, I do not think this is possible(or
        > > do not know how). Would someone explain to me how to get PC-Gen to set
        > the
        > > buy-rates correctly. TIA!

        Related Lists
        PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/