Re: [pcgen] Re: Printing the "Fanasy Character Sheet" display of a character

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 11, 2010
      You could also install free cutepdf and print the document to a pdf.
      (www.cutepdf.com)

      David
      Papa.DRB

      Grognard (definition 1)
      My better half and me

      On 2/11/2010 8:56 AM, Chuck wrote:
      > It's not really designed for that. However, it could be made into a sheet suitable for export with a little work. You could ask for it.
      >
      > Chuck
      >
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "cpaquin42"<cpaquin42@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Hi! Sorry if this question has been asked before (I'm a PCGen newb...) -
      >> is there a way to save the "Fantasy Character Sheet" version of a
      >> characters sheet to PDF or HTML for later printing? I can display it in
      >> the character sheet tab, but the File Export function itself, while
      >> giving me tons of output styles, doesn't list that one.
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 11, 2010
        cpaquin42 wrote:
        > Hi! Sorry if this question has been asked before (I'm a PCGen newb...) -
        > is there a way to save the "Fantasy Character Sheet" version of a
        > characters sheet to PDF or HTML for later printing? I can display it in
        > the character sheet tab, but the File Export function itself, while
        > giving me tons of output styles, doesn't list that one.
        >
        > Thanks!

        There is a way but it takes a little effort. I developed the sheet
        specifically for the character sheet tab, the reason we don't also
        include it as an export option is because unlike the other sheets it is
        heavily dependent on it's linked graphics. Being html those links are
        relative to the files location, which is something which we have no
        control over (where the user saves the file to).

        So here's how you can do it:

        First go into the PCGen program folder and find the file:
        preview/d20/fantasy/Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html

        Copy that file to this directory: outputsheets/d20/fantasy/htmlxml/

        Next rename the file with "csheet_" at the beginning of the name, like:
        csheet_Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html. "csheet_" is how PCGen recognizes
        an outputsheet. You should now be able to see the sheet in the list and
        export with it.

        This next step is important, when you export your character save the
        file into the pcgen program folder, that is the same place you find the
        pcgen.jar file. The image paths work relative to this directory so the
        sheet will find all it's images when saved into this location.

        Alternatively you could copy the folder "preview" (which is where the
        images are located) to any location you want to keep your exported
        character sheets and then the links will work from there.

        Good luck and glad you enjoy the sheet :-)

        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 11, 2010
          Eddy Anthony wrote:
          > Next rename the file with "csheet_" at the beginning of the name, like:
          > csheet_Fantasy_Character_Sheet.html. "csheet_" is how PCGen recognizes
          > an outputsheet. You should now be able to see the sheet in the list and
          > export with it.

          There are a couple of things you can do to clean up the sheet if you are
          comfortable editing html, for whatever reason these are not needed when
          used in the preview tab.

          Add this to the style sheet:

          img {
          border-style: none;
          }

          This gets rid of the blue border around the linked graphics.

          Find the body tag and change the background color: bgcolor="#780000"

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
          ~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru
        • cpaquin42
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 11, 2010
            Excellent!! Thanks, very much, for the prompt response.

            PCGen rocks!

            Chris

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 12, 2010
              FWIW, I changed all the img and the javascript references to absolute, and tossed the entire collection onto one of my sites (so the resulting html file would be transportable).

              I noticed that the stat checks images were not used (Checkhold?), so replaced all of those references with a transparent png.

              It's working great and printing "ok" - I did have to set Firefox to print background images, of course.

              Thanks again for your help!

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 12, 2010
                cpaquin42 wrote:
                > FWIW, I changed all the img and the javascript references to absolute, and tossed the entire collection onto one of my sites (so the resulting html file would be transportable).
                >
                > I noticed that the stat checks images were not used (Checkhold?), so replaced all of those references with a transparent png.
                >
                > It's working great and printing "ok" - I did have to set Firefox to print background images, of course.
                >
                > Thanks again for your help!

                Nice solutions, I'll keep those in mind. Glad you enjoy the sheet :-)

                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
                ~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru
              • Chuck
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 12, 2010
                  Now we just need to get this checked in as a sheet for everyone to use. If someone would like to tracker this, then we can move it in for everyone.

                  Chuck

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 12, 2010
                    Chuck wrote:
                    > Now we just need to get this checked in as a sheet for everyone to use. If someone would like to tracker this, then we can move it in for everyone.
                    >
                    > Chuck

                    I'm all for it but first we need to find a permanent place to host the
                    images online.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 12, 2010
                      Would http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/images/ work? Or would you want a dedicated non-sourceforge site?

                      I'd be happy to email you (or someone) the source files I've come up with if that'd help.. but I don't really want my site getting slammed by PCGEN users around the world :D

                      Chris

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 12, 2010
                        cpaquin42 wrote:
                        > Would http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/images/ work? Or would you want a dedicated non-sourceforge site?
                        >
                        > I'd be happy to email you (or someone) the source files I've come up with if that'd help.. but I don't really want my site getting slammed by PCGEN users around the world :D
                        >
                        > Chris

                        We wouldn't want that either :-)
                        I was thinking that out new site at pcgen.org would be appropriate, I'll
                        talk to our web guys.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 24, 2010
                          I spoke with a few people about putting the Fantasy Character Sheet
                          graphics online so we could offer that sheet as an html export option
                          but there was concern that this might impact our bandwidth should the
                          sheet prove to be popular. So before we go that route I wanted to see
                          how convenient I could make this as a separate download. I've placed a
                          package in the files section which contains a modified version of the
                          sheet and a folder containing the graphics and javascript files. The
                          sheet can be added to any version of PCGen and the graphics folder goes
                          wherever you keep your exported character sheets. As long as the
                          exported html files are in the same directory of the graphics folder
                          they should look and function correctly (the functionality is the
                          ability to click the dice to have the computer make the roll).

                          Please check it out and let us know what you think.

                          --
                        • danskmacabre@ymail.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 26, 2010
                            Hello, I'm new here, (Just joined), but have been using PCGEN for Pathfinder for some time.
                            Where is this files section wherer I cna get thes files?
                            They would be really handy for me.. :)

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 26, 2010
                              Nevermind, found it :)