Re: [TM] Great Improved Turning

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2010
      Tir, thank you... now, since the List Editor doesn't work for new entries, what file do I put these in? I think I prefer the Toughness angle.

      Sorry for being difficult, but I can't seem to locate an editable file. Thanks!

      Adam.

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

      > Improved Turning at its core is
      > BONUS:VAR|TurnLevelBase|1
      > BONUS:VAR|TurnDamagePlusBase|1
      >
      > To make your Greater Improved Turning, you really just need those,
      > along with some suitable Prereqs
      >
      > Greater Improved Turning
      > TYPE:General
      > PREVARGTEQ:AllowImprovedTurning,1
      > PREFEAT:1,Improved Turning
      > BONUS:VAR|TurnLevelBase|1
      > BONUS:VAR|TurnDamagePlusBase|1
      > add any DESC or SOURCExxx info if you want.
      > If you put this in an Ability file, you will also need CATEGORY:FEAT
      >
      > If instead you want to make Improved Turning work like Toughness,
      > you'll need it to be the following:
      >
      > Improved Turning
      > TYPE:General
      > PREVARGTEQ:AllowImprovedTurning,1 MULT:YES
      > STACK:YES
      > CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
      > BONUS:VAR|TurnLevelBase|COUNT[FEATNAME=Improved Turning]|TYPE=NoStack
      > BONUS:VAR|TurnDamagePlusBase|COUNT[FEATNAME=Improved Turning]|TYPE=NoStack
      > Source info you can add/change....
      > DESC to match would need:
      > DESC:You turn or rebuke creatures as if you were %1 level(s) higher
      > than you are in the class that grants you the
      > ability.|COUNT[FEATNAME=Improved Turning]
      >
      > Oh, can can someone make sure we've trackered the List Editor issue?
      >

      > Tir Gwaith
      > PCGen LST Chimp
      >

      > On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Adam <adam@...> wrote:
      > > All,
      > >   I was asked by one of my Group Members why they could not take Improved Turning more than 1x and have it stack.  I know the rules are rules.. but more guidelines.  I think I would like to allow that, and need to know how to code it properly...
      > >   So, how do I code this so that it may be taken multiple times and stack?  My attempts thus far have lead to failure.  I have done this:
      > > 1)  Added a new feat, just like Improved Turning, throgh the 5.16.2 list editor.  This never took, it would not save the new feat no matter how many times I entered, saved, re-entered...
      > > 2)  So I tried to copy the Improved Turning feat and edit that, and it saved, but it won't load (says SEVERE Worthless Category change encountered: Great Improved Turning Feat).
      > >
      > >   Any source-coders out there want to give me a hand?
      > >
      > > Also, aren't custom sources supposed to be saved in the custom directory in 5.16.2?  I can't find them once they are edited in the list editor.
      > >
      > > Thank you all!
      > > Adam.

    • Adam
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2010
        Tir,
        I tried to copy the toughness and edit as mentioned below, through the list editor. I used the following (as it wouldn't allow me to save Improved Toughness as it already exists):
        Great Improved Turning
        TYPE:General
        PREVARGTEQ:AllowImprovedTurning,1
        MULT:YES
        STACK:YES
        CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
        BONUS:VAR|TurnLevelBase|COUNT[FEATNAME=Improved Turning]|TYPE=NoStack
        BONUS:VAR|TurnDamagePlusBase|COUNT[FEATNAME=Improved Turning|TYPE=NoStack
        DESC:You turn or rebuke creatures as if you were %1 level(s) higher than you are in the class that grants you the ability.|COUNT[FEATNAME=Great Improved Turning]

        BUT, I got the same error when loading:
        SEVERE Worthless Category change encountered: Great Improved Turning Feat

        So, still no luck.
        Sorry, maybe I am a buffoon?

      • Ainvar G
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2010
          Adam, you find what you seek in the lst docs. I'm not confident enough yet in my coding to try to tell you what the answer is, just where to look. I do know that what you are looking for (the editable files) are lst files and would be loaded by default into the data directory under the PCGen install directory.

          I believe what you want to do is .MOD the existing Improved Turning feat, so if you surf the documentation (which can be found in PCGen by pressing CTL-F1 or clicking on the help menu in the upper right -- at least in Windows) to find out how to go about
          1) creating a custom gamemode (so you can associate the feat file you want to make)
          2) creating that feat file so that it modifies (that's the .MOD you need to look for) the original feat -- Tir's already given you what you need in the file itself, I believe.

          Hopefully a more experienced monkey will happen by and fill in the gaps I'm leaving, but if they don't, you might check out the PCGenListFileHelp group, linked at the bottom of these messages.

          Good luck!

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2010
            Easy enough -

            pcgen/my_dataset

            my_feats.lst is the file you want to edit

            and then activate the file in the my__campaign.pcc file by removing the
            '#' from in front of 'my_feats.lst'

            then load 'my campaign' found in the 'Homebrew' on the advanced list
            along with your rsrd / 35e data sets.

            Cheers,

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 12, 2010
              Hi Tir,

              Do we need to tracker the LST editor when it's going through a major
              overhaul to fix many outstanding issues?

              Based upon what I've heard, the overhaul should eliminate ALL the
              current issues of -
              Not Saving Proficiencies
              Not Saving certain tags
              Misapplying tags
              Etc.

              Basically, the overhaul will only allow KNOWN tags in the Editor, will
              be validating the syntax, and will be linked with the known code.

            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2010
                On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
                > Hi Tir,
                >
                > Do we need to tracker the LST editor when it's going through a major
                > overhaul to fix many outstanding issues?
                >
                > Based upon what I've heard, the overhaul should eliminate ALL the
                > current issues of -
                > Not Saving Proficiencies
                > Not Saving certain tags
                > Misapplying tags
                > Etc.
                >
                > Basically, the overhaul will only allow KNOWN tags in the Editor, will
                > be validating the syntax, and will be linked with the known code.

                I understand that is the goal. I thought we were still tracking the
                stuff to verify the problems were all fixed when done. Something to
                check with James / Code, I guess (flagged message for him.)

                PCGen LST Chimp
              • James Dempsey
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 13, 2010
                  Hi Tir,

                  On 13/02/2010 9:25 AM Tir Gwaith wrote
                  > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi Tir,
                  >>
                  >> Do we need to tracker the LST editor when it's going through a major
                  >> overhaul to fix many outstanding issues?
                  >>
                  >> Based upon what I've heard, the overhaul should eliminate ALL the
                  >> current issues of -
                  >> Not Saving Proficiencies
                  >> Not Saving certain tags
                  >> Misapplying tags
                  >> Etc.
                  >>
                  >> Basically, the overhaul will only allow KNOWN tags in the Editor, will
                  >> be validating the syntax, and will be linked with the known code.
                  >>

                  > I understand that is the goal. I thought we were still tracking the
                  > stuff to verify the problems were all fixed when done. Something to
                  > check with James / Code, I guess (flagged message for him.)

                  I think it is worth flagging for a few reasons:
                  * It is good to know the deficiencies of the existing editor to avoid
                  them for the new one.
                  * Having a list of known issues will help our users who may want to know
                  what to watch out for if they use the current LST editor.
                  * There is a risk that the new LST editor may not be ready in time for
                  the 6.0 release - we would want to fix the bugs in the old one for 6.0
                  if that were the case.

                  So best to log them still please.

                  Cheers,
                  James Dempsey