I'm sorry, but i have to ask this 4th edition question

  • Candy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31 7:31 AM
      I hate posting "FAQ type" questions, but I've been looking for the answer to this question for hours now.

      Last night my group finally decided to start 4th edition. After a few hours of going through the books, making some sample characters, etc etc, we decided to see how PC Gen was doing.

      I've literally spent at least 3 hours now trying to answer that question.

      I've read release notes, FAQ's, The Roadmaps, The Documentation, searched google.
      I've downloaded a few different versions of PC Gen, including the 5.17.1 Alpha.
      I've found a TON of references to suggest that support for 4th edition is at least being worked on, I've even found release notes that said "So test it and let us know!"

      What i cant find, is how to enable 4th Edition for making characters!
    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31 8:50 AM
        Hi Folks!

        AM, Candy wrote:
        > I hate posting "FAQ type" questions, but I've been looking for the
        > answer to this question for hours now.
        >
        > Last night my group finally decided to start 4th edition. After a
        > few hours of going through the books, making some sample characters,
        > etc etc, we decided to see how PC Gen was doing.
        >
        > I've literally spent at least 3 hours now trying to answer that
        > question.
        >
        > I've read release notes, FAQ's, The Roadmaps, The Documentation,
        > searched google.
        > I've downloaded a few different versions of PC Gen, including the
        > 5.17.1 Alpha.
        > I've found a TON of references to suggest that support for 4th
        > edition is at least being worked on, I've even found release notes
        > that said "So test it and let us know!"
        >
        > What i cant find, is how to enable 4th Edition for making characters!

        Unfortunately, WotC's Game System License (GSL) does not allow for 3rd
        party Char Gen software to use the required data therefor PCGen cannot
        distribute a data set based upon 4th Ed.

        On the other-hand, PCGen does support most, if not all, rules
        constructs used in 4th Ed so if you and the members of your gaming
        group wish to code the data yourself, you can use PCGen to create and
        maintain your characters. The PCGenListFileHelp group here at Yahoo!
        is set up to help folks with question on how to code up such, and many
        other, sources for their own personal use.

        Maredudd
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31 8:52 AM
          Hi Candy,

          4th edition is supported by PCGen, however, due to licensing restrictions, we are not able to make a publicly available  4th edition data set.

          However, anyone may make their own personal sets. Myself and plenty of other eager monkeys are available to help you make your very own personalized 4e data set.

          Best place for those types of questions are over in the PCGen List File Help Yahoo Group (Link near the bottom of this message).

          Cheers,

          - Andrew Maitland (PCGen Board of Directors - Admin Silverback)

          ________________________________
          I hate posting "FAQ type" questions, but I've been looking for the answer to this question for hours now.

          Last night my group finally decided to start 4th edition. After a few hours of going through the books, making some sample characters, etc etc, we decided to see how PC Gen was doing.

          I've literally spent at least 3 hours now trying to answer that question.

          I've read release notes, FAQ's, The Roadmaps, The Documentation, searched google.
          I've downloaded a few different versions of PC Gen, including the 5.17.1 Alpha.
          I've found a TON of references to suggest that support for 4th edition is at least being worked on, I've even found release notes that said "So test it and let us know!"

          What i cant find, is how to enable 4th Edition for making characters!

          ------------------------------------

          Related Lists
          PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jonathan Thompson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31 8:56 AM
            On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Candy <candy2025@...> wrote:

            > What i cant find, is how to enable 4th Edition for making characters!

            While I am not affliated with PCGen I am pretty sure I can answer this
            question. They are prohibited by the terms of the GSL to produce character
            generation software, except under special license (two companies have 4e
            character building software but they are required to be compatible with the
            DDI character builder produced by WotC). I do believe that there should be
            no problem with you creating your own data set and asking the "how to"
            questions on PCGen Help. If I have said anything in error, please someone
            from the PCGen team correct me.

            --
            Jonathan M. Thompson
            Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com) / Solar Flare Productions

            jthompson@...
            d20 Magazine Rack (www.d20zines.com)
            thompsonjm@...
            Now on Sale: Gaslight Victorian Fantasy (OGL/Savage Worlds)
            In Development: (2010) Fantastic World (Ubiquity), Terran Trade Authority
            (MGT) | "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But
            without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

          • Candy
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31 9:24 AM
              AHA! This makes so much sense. This ties everything together!

              Thank you all very much!

              > Hi Folks!
              >
              > AM, Candy wrote:
              > > I hate posting "FAQ type" questions, but I've been looking for the
              > > answer to this question for hours now.
              > >
              > > Last night my group finally decided to start 4th edition. After a
              > > few hours of going through the books, making some sample characters,
              > > etc etc, we decided to see how PC Gen was doing.
              > >
              > > I've literally spent at least 3 hours now trying to answer that
              > > question.
              > >
              > > I've read release notes, FAQ's, The Roadmaps, The Documentation,
              > > searched google.
              > > I've downloaded a few different versions of PC Gen, including the
              > > 5.17.1 Alpha.
              > > I've found a TON of references to suggest that support for 4th
              > > edition is at least being worked on, I've even found release notes
              > > that said "So test it and let us know!"
              > >
              > > What i cant find, is how to enable 4th Edition for making characters!
              > >

              > Unfortunately, WotC's Game System License (GSL) does not allow for 3rd
              > party Char Gen software to use the required data therefor PCGen cannot
              > distribute a data set based upon 4th Ed.
              >
              > On the other-hand, PCGen does support most, if not all, rules
              > constructs used in 4th Ed so if you and the members of your gaming
              > group wish to code the data yourself, you can use PCGen to create and
              > maintain your characters. The PCGenListFileHelp group here at Yahoo!
              > is set up to help folks with question on how to code up such, and many
              > other, sources for their own personal use.
              >
              > Maredudd

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
                And since nobody has noted it there is a starter 4e set that lays the groundwork that you'll need. It's in the Stable datasets.

                http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.1%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/5160_pcgen_4e_starter_set_0.1.zip/download