[PR] [Eric] New catchphrase on website?

  • karianna03
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
      Hi all,

      On the side bar of our web site we have a "What Is PCGen?" section:

      "PCGen is a character generator for role-playing games. It currently is aimed at supporting as many RPGs as is humanly possible. The project's current focus is on OGL games (OGL is Wizards of the Coast's Open Gaming License). PCGen runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Unix/Linux using Java 1.4/1.5."

      I'd like people's opinion on this, e.g. Whether it still remains relevant and accurate or whether it should be updated.

      Eric/PR Team, I'm especially interested in your input here.

    • Michael Johnston
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
        It's in need of some compositional cleanup. The OGL section is clumsy and
        could be improved, perhaps thusly:

        "The project's current focus is on games created under Wizards of the
        Coasts's Open Gaming License (OGL)."

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
          *Bump* for some more comments :)

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael Johnston <johnstonmr@...> wrote:

          > It's in need of some compositional cleanup. The OGL section is clumsy and
          > could be improved, perhaps thusly:
          >
          > "The project's current focus is on games created under Wizards of the
          > Coasts's Open Gaming License (OGL)."
          >
          > On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM, karianna03 <martijnverburg@...>wrote:
          >

          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > On the side bar of our web site we have a "What Is PCGen?" section:
          > >
          > > "PCGen is a character generator for role-playing games. It currently is
          > > aimed at supporting as many RPGs as is humanly possible. The project's
          > > current focus is on OGL games (OGL is Wizards of the Coast's Open Gaming
          > > License). PCGen runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Unix/Linux using Java
          > > 1.4/1.5."
          > >
          > > I'd like people's opinion on this, e.g. Whether it still remains relevant
          > > and accurate or whether it should be updated.
          > >
          > > Eric/PR Team, I'm especially interested in your input here.

        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
            Hi Kar!

            I've been cogitating on this and plan on posting a comment or two soon.

            Eric Smith
            PR Silverback

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jan 12, 2010, at 6:21 PM, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...>
            wrote:

            > *Bump* for some more comments :)
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael Johnston <johnstonmr@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > It's in need of some compositional cleanup. The OGL section is
            > clumsy and
            > > could be improved, perhaps thusly:
            > >
            > > "The project's current focus is on games created under Wizards of
            > the
            > > Coasts's Open Gaming License (OGL)."
            > >
            > > On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM, karianna03
            > <martijnverburg@...>wrote:
            > >

            > > > Hi all,
            > > >
            > > > On the side bar of our web site we have a "What Is PCGen?"
            > section:
            > > >
            > > > "PCGen is a character generator for role-playing games. It
            > currently is
            > > > aimed at supporting as many RPGs as is humanly possible. The
            > project's
            > > > current focus is on OGL games (OGL is Wizards of the Coast's
            > Open Gaming
            > > > License). PCGen runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Unix/Linux using
            > Java
            > > > 1.4/1.5."
            > > >
            > > > I'd like people's opinion on this, e.g. Whether it still remains
            > relevant
            > > > and accurate or whether it should be updated.
            > > >
            > > > Eric/PR Team, I'm especially interested in your input here.

          • John Kantner
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 12, 2010
              This catch-phrase is trying to sell something, namely PCGen itself, right?

              When trying to sell something you should rarely get techy because then
              you're narrowing your audience down to those who speak the tech-language.
              You also need to remember the average person's attention span. Long
              catch-phrases aren't catch-phrases at all, they're an *explanation* of what
              the product is. How it works. The nuts and bolts behind it... *yawn*

              Take the product Zone Alarm, which is a pretty decent firewall even in its
              "free" version. It doesn't explain the nuts and bolts on its main website.
              It just says, "Stops attacks others miss." Now *that's* a catch-phrase! If
              I'm reading that for the first time I'm like, "Okay, tell me more..." and so
              I do a little digging. That catch-phrase made me look for the explanation,
              see?

              So for a catch-phrase for PCGen I would suggest something like:

              "Putting the power of your computer into your Player's Handbook."

              Or: "Your computer is now the ultimate rules-lawyer. And it's on your side."

              Or: "Making a character for any RPG has never been easier."

              Or: "When it's role-playing time, sharpen your pencils. When it's time to
              level get out your keyboards. Welcome to PCGen."

              Or: "Don't sell yourself short again: use PCGen."

              Immediately under that catch-phrase, in smaller text, can be the program's
              explanation. It currently reads like this:

              "PCGen is a character generator for role-playing games. It currently is
              aimed at supporting as many RPGs as is humanly possible. The project's
              current focus is on OGL games (OGL is Wizards of the Coast's Open Gaming
              License). PCGen runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Unix/Linux using Java
              1.4/1.5."

              All this jargon should be nixed. I understand it, you understand it, but do
              you really think the average person would understand it? When I read that I
              feel like I'm reading a company's mission statement. There's a reason most
              companies don't plaster their mission statement everywhere. It's not sexy.
              It doesn't explain to the average person what their product(s) do.

              Make it read as such instead:

              "PCGen is a free, open-source program that will allow you to create and
              print out character sheets that will be the envy of your gaming group no
              matter what game you're running."

              John

            • karianna03
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 13, 2010
                Hi John,

                Some really useful feedback there, thanks!

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, John Kantner <jkantner@...> wrote:

                > This catch-phrase is trying to sell something, namely PCGen itself, right?
                >
                > When trying to sell something you should rarely get techy because then
                > you're narrowing your audience down to those who speak the tech-language.
                > You also need to remember the average person's attention span. Long
                > catch-phrases aren't catch-phrases at all, they're an *explanation* of what
                > the product is. How it works. The nuts and bolts behind it... *yawn*
                >
                > Take the product Zone Alarm, which is a pretty decent firewall even in its
                > "free" version. It doesn't explain the nuts and bolts on its main website.
                > It just says, "Stops attacks others miss." Now *that's* a catch-phrase! If
                > I'm reading that for the first time I'm like, "Okay, tell me more..." and so
                > I do a little digging. That catch-phrase made me look for the explanation,
                > see?
                >
                > So for a catch-phrase for PCGen I would suggest something like:
                >
                > "Putting the power of your computer into your Player's Handbook."
                >
                > Or: "Your computer is now the ultimate rules-lawyer. And it's on your side."
                >
                > Or: "Making a character for any RPG has never been easier."
                >
                > Or: "When it's role-playing time, sharpen your pencils. When it's time to
                > level get out your keyboards. Welcome to PCGen."
                >
                > Or: "Don't sell yourself short again: use PCGen."
                >
                > Immediately under that catch-phrase, in smaller text, can be the program's
                > explanation. It currently reads like this:
                >
                > "PCGen is a character generator for role-playing games. It currently is
                > aimed at supporting as many RPGs as is humanly possible. The project's
                > current focus is on OGL games (OGL is Wizards of the Coast's Open Gaming
                > License). PCGen runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Unix/Linux using Java
                > 1.4/1.5."
                >
                > All this jargon should be nixed. I understand it, you understand it, but do
                > you really think the average person would understand it? When I read that I
                > feel like I'm reading a company's mission statement. There's a reason most
                > companies don't plaster their mission statement everywhere. It's not sexy.
                > It doesn't explain to the average person what their product(s) do.
                >
                > Make it read as such instead:
                >
                > "PCGen is a free, open-source program that will allow you to create and
                > print out character sheets that will be the envy of your gaming group no
                > matter what game you're running."
                >
                > John

              • Eric C Smith
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 13, 2010
                  Hi Folks!

                  As Kar says, very interesting ideas. I'll have more to say later but
                  for now I like changing the sidebar as follows:

                  Change "What is PCGen?" to "Creating RPG Characters has never been
                  easier." and then adding an updated, less technical, description
                  beneath that. We leave the more technical description on the main
                  Overview panel. I also think we need to update the text on the
                  Overview panel. One thing I want to stay away from is anything that
                  directly states that we support 'ANY' RPG. We do not as yet do that.
                  We do, on the other hand, support the broadest range of d20 games
                  available.

                  ~ Eric C Smith (Maredudd)
                  ~ Documentation 2nd, Data Gibbon
                  ~ PL Chimp, OGL Gibbon
                  ~ Tracker Gibbon, Website Tamarin
                  ~ Tenacious Monkey
                  ~ Face melioram personam
                • karianna03
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 18, 2010
                    Hi Eric,

                    Let me know when you have the exact wording and I can update the site for you.

> [...]
                    > >
                    > > All this jargon should be nixed. I understand it, you understand it,
                    > > but do
                    > > you really think the average person would understand it? When I read
                    > > that I
                    > > feel like I'm reading a company's mission statement. There's a
                    > > reason most
                    > > companies don't plaster their mission statement everywhere. It's not
                    > > sexy.
                    > > It doesn't explain to the average person what their product(s) do.
                    > >
                    > > Make it read as such instead:
                    > >
                    > > "PCGen is a free, open-source program that will allow you to create
                    > > and
                    > > print out character sheets that will be the envy of your gaming
                    > > group no
                    > > matter what game you're running."
                    > >
                    > > John
                    > >

                    > ~ Eric C Smith (Maredudd)
                    > ~ PR Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors

                  • karianna03
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 16, 2010
                      *Bump*, I've got some capacity to work on this :)

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > >
                      > > > All this jargon should be nixed. I understand it, you understand it,
                      > > > but do
                      > > > you really think the average person would understand it? When I read
                      > > > that I
                      > > > feel like I'm reading a company's mission statement. There's a
                      > > > reason most
                      > > > companies don't plaster their mission statement everywhere. It's not
                      > > > sexy.
                      > > > It doesn't explain to the average person what their product(s) do.
                      > > >
                      > > > Make it read as such instead:
                      > > >
                      > > > "PCGen is a free, open-source program that will allow you to create
                      > > > and
                      > > > print out character sheets that will be the envy of your gaming
                      > > > group no
                      > > > matter what game you're running."
                      > > >
                      > > > John
                      > > >

                      > > ~ Eric C Smith (Maredudd)
                      > > ~ PR Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors

                    • karianna03
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 29, 2010
                        Bounce :)

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                        > *Bump*, I've got some capacity to work on this :)

                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Eric,
                        > >
                        > > Let me know when you have the exact wording and I can update the site for you.

                        > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi Folks!
                        > > >
                        > > > As Kar says, very interesting ideas. I'll have more to say later but
                        > > > for now I like changing the sidebar as follows:
                        > > >
                        > > > Change "What is PCGen?" to "Creating RPG Characters has never been
                        > > > easier." and then adding an updated, less technical, description
                        > > > beneath that. We leave the more technical description on the main
                        > > > Overview panel. I also think we need to update the text on the
                        > > > Overview panel. One thing I want to stay away from is anything that
                        > > > directly states that we support 'ANY' RPG. We do not as yet do that.
                        > > > We do, on the other hand, support the broadest range of d20 games
                        > > > available.

                        > > > ~ Eric C Smith (Maredudd)
                        > > > ~ PR Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                        > > > ~ Documentation 2nd, Data Gibbon
                        > > > ~ PL Chimp, OGL Gibbon
                        > > > ~ Tracker Gibbon, Website Tamarin
                        > > > ~ Tenacious Monkey
                        > > > ~ Face melioram personam

                      • Maredudd
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 20, 2011
                          Hi Folks!

                          I've tweeked the text on the SF website. Take a look and provide feedback please.

                          http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php

                          Maredudd

                        • Martijn Verburg
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 20, 2011
                            Looks fine to me :)

                            On 20 June 2011 13:57, Maredudd <maredudd@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Hi Folks!
                            >
                            > I've tweeked the text on the SF website. Take a look and provide feedback
                            > please.
                            >
                            > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php
                            >
                            > Maredudd
                            >
                            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Bounce :)
                            > >
                            > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > *Bump*, I've got some capacity to work on this :)

                            > for you.

                            > but

                            > that.

                            > itself,

                            > then
                            > Long
                            > *explanation*
                            > *yawn*

                            > even

                            > currently
                            > project's

                            > Java

                            > it,
                            > read
                            > not
                            > do.

                            > create

                          • Eric C Smith
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 20, 2011
                              I'd like to add more to the Overview intro but need to think about it for a bit.