Re: Magic-Card sized output sheet

  • karianna03
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010
      First quick question, was an existing sheet not fit for this purpose? We have several small statblock type sheets..

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I would like to hear your thoughts: should this stay a private endeavour or
      > might there be a community interest in me sharing it?
      >
      > I am currently working on Magic-card sized output sheet (63mm x 88mm). In
      > fact, most characters take more than one such page, but often 2 are
      > sufficient. I print on normal paper (A4, but letter should be no problem),
      > then cut and fold and put into protectors (those you can purchse at any
      > gaming store which sells those collector card games).
      >
      > With those protectors I find it quite easy to handle even a big bunch of
      > character/monster sheets. This way I can have the monsters of the whole big
      > dungeon at hand, giving free hand to my players as to which part of the
      > dungeon they want to explore next...
      >
      > This of course means the character sheet contains the character information
      > in statblock-like form. I am working on including all information you might
      > need, but it will stay quite condensed.
      >
      > Theres a BIG caveat though: I am using LaTeX to produce the output sheet!
      > Thus the PCGen output sheet template I am working with just produces LaTeX
      > code, which then can be further processed with pdflatex to produce the
      > output sheet as PDF files.
      >
      > LaTeX is freely availlable for all platforms PCGen works on. Still it is an
      > additional program (suite) needed to use my output sheet.
      >
      > So: Does there exist enough interest within the community for this to be
      > included, or should it stay my private project?
      >
      > Thanks for any answers,
      >
      > Susan
      >
      > Quoting karianna03 (martijnverburg@...):
      > > What version of PCGen was this in?

      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "jhm" <jhmunlimited@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > hello all just wanted to inform you of a bug i discovered when i loaded up the core resource files for msrd basics, future, menaces and arcana. i am not totally sure what the error codes mean but here they are...
      > >

      > > ------------------------------------
      > >
      > > Related Lists

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Susan Dittmar
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010
        Quoting karianna03 (martijnverburg@...):
        > First quick question, was an existing sheet not fit for this purpose?
        > We have several small statblock type sheets..

        Well, it started with me wanting a combination of two or three of the
        statblock versions -- each of them missing part of what I wanted. (No big
        things, mind, just minor tweaks.)

        Next I wanted to condense them as much as possible. They are fine as they
        are, but -- at least with the browsers I tried -- I did not manage to have
        them printed as condensed as I wanted them.

        Next point was my wish to combine all related character sheets into one
        file, together with my DM notes and everything. I could have included
        the character sheet as images, but that would have been much more
        cumbersome than exporting to LaTeX proved to be.

        Hey, that's one of the things I love with PCGen -- you can easily adapt
        (nearly) everything to your personal needs. That's what I did.
        And now I ask if sharing my work with others is worth the effort because I
        would have to generalize some things I can ignore as long as only I will be
        using those templates.

        Btw, after the overhaul I'm doing right now I will probably come back with
        a bunch of 'bug' reports (rather typo reports) concerning the statblock
        templates, smoothing out the little problems I encountered while reworking
        them. But that's still some weeks in the coming.

        Susan
      • karianna03
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
          Well personally I have no problem with this becoming part of the PCGen distro, it certainly sounds useful and we have a rich history of adding user generated sheets.

          We'll have to include some links/guides on how to edit your LaTeX sheet though.

          Please do send in the various bug reports, all useful stuff!

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

          > Quoting karianna03 (martijnverburg@...):
          > > First quick question, was an existing sheet not fit for this purpose?
          > > We have several small statblock type sheets..
          >
          > Well, it started with me wanting a combination of two or three of the
          > statblock versions -- each of them missing part of what I wanted. (No big
          > things, mind, just minor tweaks.)
          >
          > Next I wanted to condense them as much as possible. They are fine as they
          > are, but -- at least with the browsers I tried -- I did not manage to have
          > them printed as condensed as I wanted them.
          >
          > Next point was my wish to combine all related character sheets into one
          > file, together with my DM notes and everything. I could have included
          > the character sheet as images, but that would have been much more
          > cumbersome than exporting to LaTeX proved to be.
          >
          > Hey, that's one of the things I love with PCGen -- you can easily adapt
          > (nearly) everything to your personal needs. That's what I did.
          > And now I ask if sharing my work with others is worth the effort because I
          > would have to generalize some things I can ignore as long as only I will be
          > using those templates.
          >
          > Btw, after the overhaul I'm doing right now I will probably come back with
          > a bunch of 'bug' reports (rather typo reports) concerning the statblock
          > templates, smoothing out the little problems I encountered while reworking
          > them. But that's still some weeks in the coming.
          >
          > Susan

        • Susan Dittmar
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
            Quoting karianna03 (martijnverburg@...):
            > Well personally I have no problem with this becoming part of the PCGen
            > distro, it certainly sounds useful and we have a rich history of adding
            > user generated sheets.
            >
            > We'll have to include some links/guides on how to edit your LaTeX sheet though.

            Of course!

            The response was not overwhelming, so I will give this low priority, and
            focus on the game I'm making those sheets for instead. So it will take a
            while until they are ready to be shipped.

            > Please do send in the various bug reports, all useful stuff!

            I will. I love PCGen and its community far too much as to not do so.
            But first I need to debug my 'fixes' -- they looked easier than they were.
            I have ideas how to do them, but I still need to test those ideas, and day
            only has 24 hours...

            Susan