[pcgen] windows 7 & compatibility modes

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2009
      there have been a couple of suggestions recently on how to run on
      Windows 7... (I'm no expert - I only got my shiny new W7 machine last
      night!) .. but one remedy I have seen is "Run PCGen in Windows XP
      Compatibility Mode".

      Unfortunately - according the MS documentation, this feature is
      restricted to Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate edition -
      Boo! Hiss! -- whereas most likely users of the system will have one of
      the Home editions.

      I have Windows 7 Home Premium - and most UK OEMs advertising boxed
      systems with Windows 7 pre-installed are offering Home Premium -- and
      that specifically excludes the XP compatibility mode.

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
      Saga site at http://www.quantal.demon.co.uk/saga/
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2009
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Saxum Caribetum <saxum.caribetum@...> wrote:

        > there have been a couple of suggestions recently on how to run on
        > Windows 7... (I'm no expert - I only got my shiny new W7 machine last
        > night!) .. but one remedy I have seen is "Run PCGen in Windows XP
        > Compatibility Mode".
        >
        > Unfortunately - according the MS documentation, this feature is
        > restricted to Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate edition -
        > Boo! Hiss! -- whereas most likely users of the system will have one of
        > the Home editions.
        >
        > I have Windows 7 Home Premium - and most UK OEMs advertising boxed
        > systems with Windows 7 pre-installed are offering Home Premium -- and
        > that specifically excludes the XP compatibility mode.
        >
        > --
        > Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
        > ArM Code 1.5 5++ Ca++ R++p H++ ?L Y(96) T(5)- SG+++ G++++ P++ HoH(Ma++ Q+ Hg+) Fz(E)++ C++ :-) Cd++
        > Saga site at http://www.quantal.demon.co.uk/saga/
        > Sub Rosa Ars Magica zine - http://www.subrosamagazine.org/

        If you have an old copy of xp from a former machine you can install xp compat mode. check the microsoft web site and do a search.

        I have a win7 machine and have had no problem running pcgen. Install in a root directory i.e. c:\ or under your username\appdata\roaming\

        either should work.

        best of luck
        Enwetock
        Win 7 was released broken but not as broken as Vista thank Bog
      • Charles
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2009
          First of all, compatibility mode is not needed. Second, compatibility mode is available for all version of Windows 7 except basic. No one wants to run basic version, it's totally nerfed.

          So what do you need to run under Windows 7? First of all, permissions in Windows 7 are much tighter than previous versions of Windows. Since PCGen is ill-behaved (by Microsoft definitions), it does not run with the default install path of Program Files. I installed PCGen under "c:\pcgen". The only problem I've found is that the Java path was wrong for me since I'm running 64-bit. I had to go into the pcgen.bat file and hard-code the full path to java. But that is even fixed if you uninstall java and install the latest version.

          That's it, no playing around with compatibility mode or anything.

          Chuck