Re: [pcgen] Start up

  • John Carimando
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
      The path doesn't matter, it's probably all the Win7 admin rights you need to run the program. I found that running PCGen in "XP Mode" (a virtual WinXP install) fixed my problems, cause well, its XP.
      http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
      It's a good thing to have anyway for all the XP programs that dont need lots of graphics resources. Whats better you can set it up so that you run PCGen in XP Mode but without the virtualization window. Oh, you'll need a processor that can do virtualization. This may not help everyone.

      ________________________________
      From: Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@ gmx.de>
      To: pcgen@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, December 3, 2009, 8:15 AM

      Dear Shawn,

      I am pretty sure someone else will soon get to you with a more complete

      answer. Some Windows users (vista and 7) had problems with the install when

      using standard paths, because the operating system later forbids writing

      there -- which is needed for running the program.

      Try installing in a non-standard path (i.e. not under Programs but perhaps

      under Documents\PCGen\ or something). From what I read on this list that

      might solve your problem.

      In case my advice does not make much sense to you, wait for the other

      answers. I do not use PCGen under Windows and thus cannot give you more

      detailed information..

      Susan

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
        If you can access the wiki  (wiki.pcgen.com) I have a FAQ and Help page of the compiled replies for this particular issue.

        I'd give you a link, but apparently the wiki doesn't like me today.

        -Andrew

        ________________________________

[...]

        ------------------------------------

        Related Lists
        PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
          http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

          Andrew, it is pcgen.ORG not pcgen.com, or at least that is what works
          for me....

          David
          Papa.DRB

          Grognard (definition 1)
          My better half and me

          The least I can do is nothing.
          The least I will do is my best.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
            Yeah, my excuse is I've been sick for the last month... Oh well... I've got a campaign to plan for Saturday and I can't focus on much still.