Re: [pcgen] 4th edition support?

  • Keith McComb
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
      As someone who is looking at selling some content that can be used in
      the systems - they specifically re-released their GSL, removing the
      section that stated that if you were going to sell 4th Ed, you had to
      stop doing anything with 3.5 Ed stuff. Apparently a lot of companies
      looked at them and said, "No thanks." Hasbro shot themselves in the foot
      on that.

      Think they're still forbidding software, though.

      Keith

      Tir Gwaith wrote:

      > There is no 4.0 OGL. They have a GSL, and it is very different from
      > the OGL. The GSL prevents any character generation software. I'm
      > assuming since they want people to join their on-line stuff.
      >
      > The 4.0 'SRD' is just a list of object names. IIRC, it can be added
      > to at any time, and if any previous product already has that name now
      > included in the GSL's SRD document, the 3rd party publisher has to
      > remove it, or change it to match what they use (or something like
      > that).
      >
      > Tir Gwaith
      > PCGen LST Chimp

    • Maredudd
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
        Hi Folks!

        Keith wrote:

        > As someone who is looking at selling some content that can be used in
        > the systems - they specifically re-released their GSL, removing the
        > section that stated that if you were going to sell 4th Ed, you had to
        > stop doing anything with 3.5 Ed stuff. Apparently a lot of companies
        > looked at them and said, "No thanks." Hasbro shot themselves in the foot
        > on that.
        >
        > Think they're still forbidding software, though.

        You are correct Keith, the revised GSL did not remove the restriction on software.

        Eric Smith
        PR Silverback
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
          For those of you who may not know about it, and are fed up with WotC and 4th
          Edition, Paizo has continued support for the 3.x D&D system with their
          Pathfinder RPG and adventure path product lines.

          They have a free online Game Reference Document:
          http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

          and you can find all relevant products here:
          http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

          Best of all, it's fully supported by PCgen!

          Hope you find this useful.

          -Dave

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
            And of course we are continuing to support the 3.x line in its native form,
            and in modified forms along with support for FantasyCraft.

            On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Dave <countbuggula@...> wrote:

            > For those of you who may not know about it, and are fed up with WotC and
            > 4th
            > Edition, Paizo has continued support for the 3.x D&D system with their
            > Pathfinder RPG and adventure path product lines.
            >
            > They have a free online Game Reference Document:
            > http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/
            >
            > and you can find all relevant products here:
            > http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG
            >
            > Best of all, it's fully supported by PCgen!
            >
            > Hope you find this useful.
            >
            > -Dave

            Jonathan M. Thompson
            Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com) / Solar Flare Productions

            jthompson@...
            d20 Magazine Rack (www.d20zines.com)
            thompsonjm@...
            In Development: (2009) Gaslight Victorian Fantasy (OGL/Savage Worlds),
            (2010) Fantastic World (Ubiquity), Terran Trade Authority (MGT) |
            "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it
            we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

          • red_eyed_antipaladin
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
              Sorry, just wanted to check something Does this mean there will be a FantasyCraft PCGen data set, or just that the necessary functions to build a data set exist in PCGen?

              (I worked on the short-lived Spycraft 2.0 dataset, and I remember a significant limitation around maximum skill ranks being hardcoded, among other things.)

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009

                I can't answer the first portion, but the Max Skill Ranks aren't as hardcoded as is believed. You may add a variable to the gamemode which will allow you to change the max rank for a certain character.

                - Andrew

                ________________________________
                Sorry, just wanted to check something Does this mean there will be a FantasyCraft PCGen data set, or just that the necessary functions to build a data set exist in PCGen?

                (I worked on the short-lived Spycraft 2.0 dataset, and I remember a significant limitation around maximum skill ranks being hardcoded, among other things.)

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Thompson <thompsonjm@...> wrote:

                > And of course we are continuing to support the 3.x line in its native form,
                > and in modified forms along with support for FantasyCraft.

                ------------------------------------

                Related Lists
                PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Andrew Maitland scribed:

                  > I can't answer the first portion, but the Max Skill Ranks aren't as hardcoded
                  > as is believed. You may add a variable to the gamemode which will allow you to
                  > change the max rank for a certain character.

                  Per skill or for all skills?

                  The feature needed for Spycraft was the ability to add ranks beyond the max
                  ranks for specific skills.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                    It's global across the board. Individual skill support would either need code work or could be done in data but that would be a lot of work around... still doable if you really wanted it...

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                      With the sheer number of products we are releasing for FC, then FC support
                      would be favorable for BPI.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                        Eddy, it's been a few years, so my memory grows dim. What was the reason we discontinued the Psycraft set? Code limitations, or the publisher's wishes? If the latter, what are our chances of getting permission for FC?

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                          Sorry, that should obviously have read 'Spycraft'. The keyboard gremlins are out in force today.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 3, 2009
                            I'd prefer not to disclose details in order to keep the trust I hope we have
                            earned with the publishers, we have always had a policy of honoring
                            publishers wishes and this case was no different. I don't know about
                            FantasyCraft, we've not spoken with Crafty since it was released but I've
                            asked our Publisher Liaison, Eric Smith, to see if he could check in with
                            them.

                            I'd be interested to know how many on this list would use a FantasyCraft
                            dataset if one were available?

                            Michael Swadling scribed:

                            --
                            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                            ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
                            ~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru
                          • John Carrington
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 4, 2009
                              I would definitely be interested in a Fantasy Craft data set - huge help
                              in character generation.

                              AJC

                              On 12/3/2009 10:53 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                              > I'd prefer not to disclose details in order to keep the trust I hope we have
                              > earned with the publishers, we have always had a policy of honoring
                              > publishers wishes and this case was no different. I don't know about
                              > FantasyCraft, we've not spoken with Crafty since it was released but I've
                              > asked our Publisher Liaison, Eric Smith, to see if he could check in with
                              > them.
                              >
                              > I'd be interested to know how many on this list would use a FantasyCraft
                              > dataset if one were available?
                              >
                              > Michael Swadling scribed
                            • red_eyed_antipaladin
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 11, 2010
                                Hi Eddy/Eric,

                                Any further word on this project?

                                Thanks,

                                Michael

                                > I'd prefer not to disclose details in order to keep the trust I hope we have
                                > earned with the publishers, we have always had a policy of honoring
                                > publishers wishes and this case was no different. I don't know about
                                > FantasyCraft, we've not spoken with Crafty since it was released but I've
                                > asked our Publisher Liaison, Eric Smith, to see if he could check in with
                                > them.
                                >
                                > I'd be interested to know how many on this list would use a FantasyCraft
                                > dataset if one were available?
                                >
                                > Michael Swadling scribed:
                                >
                                > > Eddy, it's been a few years, so my memory grows dim. What was the reason we
                                > > discontinued the Psycraft set? Code limitations, or the publisher's wishes? If
                                > > the latter, what are our chances of getting permission for FC?
                                > >
                                > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Thompson <thompsonjm@> wrote:
                                > >>
                                > >> With the sheer number of products we are releasing for FC, then FC support
                                > >> would be favorable for BPI.
                                >
                                > --
                                > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                > ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
                                > ~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru

                              • Hollis McCray
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 14, 2010
                                  On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:55 PM, red_eyed_antipaladin
                                  <alreadydamned@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Eddy/Eric,
                                  >
                                  > Any further word on this project?

                                  On a related topic, has there ever been any thought as to Mutants &
                                  Masterminds support? Or would that require a separate program?

                                  --
                                  Hollis McCray
                                  Mutant Registration Number #US2002023904

                                  Warning: Proximity to this individual may expose you to the following RPGs:
                                  Fate: http://www.faterpg.com
                                  Mutants & Masterminds: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com
                                  Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies: http://www.7skies.net/
                                  Please visit these websites in order to protect yourself.
                                • Eric C Smith
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 14, 2010
                                    Hello Michael,

                                    We do not have any new information for this product.

                                    ~ Eric C Smith (Maredudd)
                                    ~ Documentation 2nd, Data Gibbon
                                    ~ PL Chimp, OGL Gibbon
                                    ~ Tracker Gibbon, Website Tamarin